Placing cache around house

jkhough_family

It sounds fine.

Just make sure that any nearby(ish) neighbours who overlook the location and might notice people parking up and wandering about are aware of what's going on.

Also, look at the spot with a stranger's eye: Would you be comfortable searching around the area? Does it look like it might be someone's private yard? If so, then make it very clear on the cache description that it's your land and they're good to search.

Also, be prepared that some cachers like to hunt at night. Will that cause any problems? Any nearby dogs that might cause alarm?

MrsB :)

Many people have done this. There are also many geocachers who are uncomfortable searching for caches near a home and avoid them. But you'll have plenty who don't care and will hunt it.

I'm assuming the homes in your area are well spaced and your cache won't sometimes send errant cachers on a neighbor's property, but if your cache is near someone else's property that is something to consider.

Also as the Blorenges pointed out, the neighbors (if you have any nearby) might become concerned about the sudden influx of traffic at all hours, so it might be best to clue them in. Then again, if you live well off the beaten path you might not get all that many visitors so this may not be a concern.

Make sure you clearly list in your cache description that the cache is one private property with land owner's permission. Try to place the cache to the front or side of the house. Many of us are uneasy going into people's backyards. I did one recently that was is a COs back yard. Fortunately they weren't home. They had young kids and the cache was 20' from the swing set. I would have felt bad if I startled their kids. The swing set didn't show up on the satellite view so I was unaware of it. Don't place your cache in an area that would make cachers uncomfortable. It may also be prudent to specify the hours you want cachers to come. Is a 2 AM night caching run cool with you? Just something to consider.

I'm assuming the homes in your area are well spaced and your cache won't sometimes send errant cachers on a neighbor's property, but if your cache is near someone else's property that is something to consider.
If someone's standing around looking lost, it's me. So I'm glad the Cache Owner might sometimes drop by to chat (so I know I'm at the right spot).

I also like that cache being so close to the CO, it's simple to maintain.

Also, tell ALL your neighbors about what you are doing. YOU may give permission for us to look for the cache on your property but a neighbor think we are prowlers and call the police. A little misunderstanding can create a very ugly situation. Please, let your neighbors know about your cache placement.

Be sure your description is good enough that people searching for the cache KNOW which yard to look in. It tends to ruin neighborhood relations when a bunch of strangers start poking around in everyone's yard :)

I agree with NicknPapa on being very specific in the cache description.

It makes me feel better when I go for these type of caches that the description tells me exactly where I can go and can't go. Examples: "Stay left of the fence." "No need to go past row of trees to the East." "Don't park in driveway across the road." etc.

I have done a few caches on private property and haven't met the owners yet. Hopefully I will some day.

Just one question "WHY"!!!

As mentioned above, many of us like to meet the cachers who come to hunt it. I like hunting them at cachers house for the same reason. If it is clear from the page which house it is at there is no issues with the hide.

My question for you is "WHY" should you care? If you drive up and don't like the location just keep on driving. You do not have to find every cache. Let others hide what they like without raining on their parade.

Just one question "WHY"!!!

As mentioned above, many of us like to meet the cachers who come to hunt it. I like hunting them at cachers house for the same reason. If it is clear from the page which house it is at there is no issues with the hide.

My question for you is "WHY" should you care? If you drive up and don't like the location just keep on driving. You do not have to find every cache. Let others hide what they like without raining on their parade.

I started caching to have something to do after my wife died. I have placed several caches close to our house in her memory. In one I specified "do not drive into the cul-de-sac," yet I have seen several very experienced cachers do just that. All of mine in residential areas are clearly described as daytime only caches.

I have a cache in my yard. It's listed as a night cache so I can watch, then rob the seeker! Works out well!

:) I do really have one in my back yard but I've only seen 1 out of 16 cachers looking for it! I'm either out of the house or I just don't hear them. I raced out to meet the one couple I did see and now we're caching partners sometimes!

I'm pretty sure no one said "in our yards". I think they meant in front of the house, you know like out on the street or road, at least that is what I meant. I agree, I would not want to walk into someone's yard or on their front porch. I would not do it, but I wouldn't have any problem of "in front of the house". Another fine line I suppose, and each to his own, that is why we have choices. If you don't like it, don't do it.

a cach popped up in my neighborhood i went to get it

when i got there I had to stand in mulch to get

i started walking away and the owner came out and asked if i found it

I said no because i didnt want to step in the landscaping

he told me to grab it

if he hadnt been there i wouldnt have got it

I dont want to step into flower beds to grab a cach

if i can grab it from the grass fine but people put in alot of efford to thier yards and i dont want to mess it up even if they gave permission by placing the cach there

Most have already posted what I would offer as a friendly suggestion:

*Make sure ALL your neighbors know so that they won't call the police when they see strangers wandering around in your yard.

*Make sure ALL your neighbors are okay with it because occasionally a cacher will wander through the neighbors yard when their phone leads them 100' away from the cache.

*Understand that you will get some negative feedback from the cachers who don't like to wander through someone's yard looking for a cache.

*I ignore residential caches for a very good reason. I am female and frequently cache alone. If a cache leads me close to a house, I'll drive on past. Too often, residential caches are close to a house and I worry that someone could grab me, drag me inside, and nobody would miss me until I didn't show up at home 8 hours later. (I do realize that this could happen anywhere, but I *try* to exercise safe caching when I can!)

*You *will* have cachers hunting this cache at all hours of the day and night. Are you prepared to have someone wandering around your bedroom window at 3:00 a.m.? Even if you say "No night caching", some people will ignore that.

*Use a VERY specific hint and include your house number in the hint. The better the hint, the less wandering required on the seekers part.

*Post that it is hidden on private property with permission on your cache page.

*Do you really want people to know exactly where you live? Someone with less than reputable habits will know these things about you: #1 - you own expensive handheld electronics. #2 - you have a computer set up.

Again, they're just friendly suggestions and food for thought. It's *your* yard and you can do whatever you want. I just wanted to offer you things to mull over before deciding to do it :anibad:

When I saw this topic, I knew it was something I could relate to. I place cash around the house all the time. The problem is that SwampyGirl always finds it! :P

I think its nice that you want to place a cache on your own land and invite cachers to come find it. I have done a few caches on private land, however, most of those folks were people I had met at local caching events.

I'll echo what some of the others have said here. It's important that you let the neighbors all know what is going on so they won't become suspicious of folks showing up there at all hours of the day and night, and sometimes when you won't be home.

We went to find a "home" cache once on Halloween night and showed up at the cacher's home in masks. It was a fun night!

When I saw this topic, I knew it was something I could relate to. I place cash around the house all the time. The problem is that SwampyGirl always finds it! :P

I think its nice that you want to place a cache on your own land and invite cachers to come find it. I have done a few caches on private land, however, most of those folks were people I had met at local caching events.

I'll echo what some of the others have said here. It's important that you let the neighbors all know what is going on so they won't become suspicious of folks showing up there at all hours of the day and night, and sometimes when you won't be home.

We went to find a "home" cache once on Halloween night and showed up at the cacher's home in masks. It was a fun night!

I own some land and after we build our house there we plan on putting a cache or two just off of the road to draw cachers nearby. It's beautiful country here and we might even include some walking paths just off of the road. It should be lots of fun. The plus for us is that it is a country road and there really are no nearby houses. I do have one by our old one room schoolhouse (Birchardville School House, GC22712) and everyone enjoys looking for it.

I have placed several caches close to our house in her memory. In one I specified "do not drive into the cul-de-sac," yet I have seen several very experienced cachers do just that. All of mine in residential areas are clearly described as daytime only caches.

And there's the rub. I, for instance, don't have time to read every cache page when I'm out hunting. I frequently don't even have the PDA with me, so I may not see instructions like that. What I load into the GPSr is coordinates and hints. (because that's all I can load into it) Things like not driving onto a certain street get left out. Common sense dictates whether or not I'll hunt a cache when I get near.

Personally, I've done caches in the country on private property that were very nice. I've done caches on private property that were just... icky. One of the ones I found was in the reviewer's front yard, so we knew that everyone in the house was aware of caching. We didn't knock on the door, even though it was standing open.