Oregon 450 and a Mac?

Before I tell my husband to order my Christmas present, I wanted to check with the experts. I have a macbook and an iMac - will I be ok with an Oregon 450? The GPS speak is kind of confusing, and I've read different things that make me nervous - are macs generally not GPS compatible?

Also, Amazon has the Oregon 450 for $269 right now- that is a good price right??

Only one caveat -- for whatever reason, the boys in Cupertino decided that it would be dandy to keep local trash cans on "external" drives, including USB devices. Deleting files on thumb drives and most GPS units leaves "." files out there of the deletions, slowly filling up available memory. Have seen this any number of times on automotive devices during map updates, etc.

So be sure you are set up with either a utility or other means for making sure that your Mac doesn't cause binary constipation in your Oregon by leaving a trashcan full of old *.gpx files out there during update or delete operations from your Mac.

I've got the Dakota 20 and it works perfectly with Mac - I also have the iMac and Macbook. The 450 will work great.

Price is good too. :)

Before I tell my husband to order my Christmas present, I wanted to check with the experts. I have a macbook and an iMac - will I be ok with an Oregon 450? The GPS speak is kind of confusing, and I've read different things that make me nervous - are macs generally not GPS compatible?

Also, Amazon has the Oregon 450 for $269 right now- that is a good price right??

I have an Oregon 300 (450 on order) and it works very well with both my iMac and MacBook. You should have no problems with that combo. The price of $269.00 is a very good price- grab it. The Oregon 450 is an excellent GPS.

The only thing I have found about using my Garmin Oregon GPSr with my MacBook Pro is that Garmin makes it much harder for Mac users to load and use the beta firmware releases. It's not impossible, but you really have to want to do it badly go go through everything you need to load it onto your GPSr. If your husband is the type that wants the latest software updates on his GPSr, then there is always Boot Camp/virtualization to get it on his new GPSr easily :)

My mac and my 550t get along famously. And ecanderson's advice only pertains to some older varieties of oregons (or older versions of mac os x - ?) - the newer ones will delete trash files fine - you won't need any extra utilities for this most likely.

And make a note of this url - http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/ - for when you have the inevitable question about how to delete geocaches from your gps, etc.

My mac and my 550t get along famously. And ecanderson's advice only pertains to some older varieties of oregons (or older versions of mac os x - ?) - the newer ones will delete trash files fine - you won't need any extra utilities for this most likely.

And make a note of this url - http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/ - for when you have the inevitable question about how to delete geocaches from your gps, etc.

Only one caveat -- for whatever reason, the boys in Cupertino decided that it would be dandy to keep local trash cans on "external" drives, including USB devices. Deleting files on thumb drives and most GPS units leaves "." files out there of the deletions, slowly filling up available memory. Have seen this any number of times on automotive devices during map updates, etc.

So be sure you are set up with either a utility or other means for making sure that your Mac doesn't cause binary constipation in your Oregon by leaving a trashcan full of old *.gpx files out there during update or delete operations from your Mac.

I don't quite understand what u mean. So what happens when I delete a file on my GPS with my mac? I did notice that I ran out of room and i had to empty my iMac trash bin to clean up my GPS memory. Is that all I need to do? Do I need a special utility? Sorry I am a fairly new Mac user, still learning the ropes

I don't quite understand what u mean. So what happens when I delete a file on my GPS with my mac? I did notice that I ran out of room and i had to empty my iMac trash bin to clean up my GPS memory. Is that all I need to do? Do I need a special utility? Sorry I am a fairly new Mac user, still learning the ropes

Just empty your trash before ejecting the GPS...simple as that.

Just empty your trash before ejecting the GPS...simple as that.

Thanx for the info