posting tag numbers

Kansas Stasher

I have the same thing happening (might even be the same log)...

So far I have emailed the logger asking him to change his log and just use the reference number instead of the tag number.

I also emailed the owner of the cache giving him a heads-up what is going on. Also told him that if I didn't hear from the logger soon, I would be asking him to delete the log entry.

The owner emailed me back quickly asking what the big deal was. I tried to explain and reference this forum on TBs.

I'll let you know as things change.

miatablk.gif

A new cache in our state has a Travel Bug that was retrieved from another cache and placed in this new one. The 1st post is..

Left this travel bug....xxxxxx

xxxxxx being the tag number of the Travel Bug!! We've emailed the owners to explain they should post either the name of the Bug or the reference number as that will lead to the Bug page without giving away information to help the Unsavory Characters disrupt the Bugs travel. We still can't understand how people who have a gps, go to the geocaching webpage, find a cache, find a Bug, take the bug, log a find, read the back of the tag!, go to Groundspeak.com, place the bug, then post the nubmer!! Yikes!.........

quote:
Originally posted by Dawgies:

You look at the picture

I have noticed that on several TB pages. I thought it was pretty straightforward why not to do that. I guess others do not.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

I picked up a similar thread awhile ago and thought ... 'crap I think my photo may have the bug number!'

Sure enough it did, but I had not released it yet. I quickly went back and digitally removed the number from the photo.

To the point, it's not obvious. Perhaps this should be mentioned in the help files about bugs or included when the tags are mailed out?

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I have a TB that started in Germany and went around the world (Australia, California, Turkey and back to Germany) all in one day! I suspect its because an earlier geocacher posted the tracking number in the log and someone decided to get cute and send it virtually around the world. I'm trying to track down the TB now, but haven't decided how to deal with the source of the problem. Any suggestions? I've sent a note to the person that posted the tracking number and am awaiting a response.

I cannot find where the perpetrator actually logged the cache finds around the world, so I assume he/she deleted them after posting the TB in and out of them. But I'd like to find the TB's location before I go deleting the assumed false TB log entries.

quote:
Originally posted by spinwebby:

I have a TB that started in Germany and went around the world (Australia, California, Turkey and back to Germany) all in one day! I suspect its because an earlier geocacher posted the tracking number in the log and someone decided to get cute and send it virtually around the world. I'm trying to track down the TB now, but haven't decided how to deal with the source of the problem. Any suggestions? I've sent a note to the person that posted the tracking number and am awaiting a response.

I cannot find where the perpetrator actually logged the cache finds around the world, so I assume he/she deleted them after posting the TB in and out of them. But I'd like to find the TB's location before I go deleting the assumed false TB log entries.

If I were you I'd delete the photo titled "In Galena Alaska" posted by gerryh because that is where the tag number has been revealed. Also, I'd delete all of the entries by Phreddy... his profile shows that he has only ever found one cache, a virtual in North Carolina. Plus, he even taunts you about thee tag number in his first post. Your travel bug is almost certainly still in "Mary Shelley's Schloss".

(quote from ScooterJ)Plus, he even taunts you about thee tag number in his first post. Your travel bug is almost certainly still in "Mary Shelley's Schloss". (end quote)

Yep, I think so, too. I've sent email to the people who have posted the log entries with the tracking numbers and I hope that they'll edit or remove the entry as they see fit. I just hate doing it to other people's posts, but I may end up doing it myself.

I've also written a note in the Mary Shelley's log noting the incident and hopefully the next visitor can verify that it is there. It may have been picked up by a visitor already and I've sent an email to him/her asking about it. In any case, I agree, I think its still in the game. Just anxious to get word on its whereabouts. I'm trying to be patient. icon_rolleyes.gif

(quote from ScooterJ)Plus, he even taunts you about thee tag number in his first post. Your travel bug is almost certainly still in "Mary Shelley's Schloss". (end quote)

Yep, I think so, too. I've sent email to the people who have posted the log entries with the tracking numbers and I hope that they'll edit or remove the entry as they see fit. I just hate doing it to other people's posts, but I may end up doing it myself.

I've also written a note in the Mary Shelley's log noting the incident and hopefully the next visitor can verify that it is there. It may have been picked up by a visitor already and I've sent an email to him/her asking about it. In any case, I agree, I think its still in the game. Just anxious to get word on its whereabouts. I'm trying to be patient. icon_rolleyes.gif

By the looks of the map they made a non-stop flight to belgium with this bug........

Or did they justMail it to someone?

I bet alot of bugs could go a long way if they were all mailed. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=9538

You look at the picture, then the miles travelled, and say, "Yea, Right!"

Silly people....

~Honest Value Never Fails~

Sofa, King, We, Todd, Did

By the looks of the map they made a non-stop flight to belgium with this bug........

Or did they justMail it to someone?

I bet alot of bugs could go a long way if they were all mailed. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=9538

You look at the picture, then the miles travelled, and say, "Yea, Right!"

Silly people....

~Honest Value Never Fails~

Sofa, King, We, Todd, Did

I screwed up when i logged my 2nd Travel Bug find a month or two ago. (had put the tag number in the log). Ive since went back and edited the number out... I now know why its important to not log it!

Just wanting to say that it was something a newbie might mistakenly do. I looked over the TB guidelines on the site but dont think there is any reference as to why a tag number shouldnt be logged in. Might help if that was mentioned in those instructions...

quote:
Originally posted by Kansas Stasher:

How do you handle the situation when someone posts the travel bug tag number in a log. Do you email them? Email Jeremy? Just get mad?

I have this happening currently and would like advice. Thanks.

Hehe, when I find a post with the travel bug's tag number posted, I claim the bug as a virtual find, and then place it right back where I icon_smile.gif found icon_smile.gif it.

quote:
Originally posted by Kansas Stasher:

How do you handle the situation when someone posts the travel bug tag number in a log. Do you email them? Email Jeremy? Just get mad?

I have this happening currently and would like advice. Thanks.

Hehe, when I find a post with the travel bug's tag number posted, I claim the bug as a virtual find, and then place it right back where I icon_smile.gif found icon_smile.gif it.

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

LOL...do you have any examples of ones you've done that with?

Actually I've only done this once, and the number is still on the page, so I'd rather not post it until the original poster edits the log (I emailed the number poster). Once the log is corrected I can show you the example. The link to the bug above is an example of how you can virtually find a bug since a number is posted in the logs, but I'll stick to real finds from now on.

I was reading this thread when I realized my first Travel Bug (Iggy) probably had his number exposed in his photo. icon_eek.gif I have not released him yet so a quick trip to Photoshop and a little Guassian Blur and Viola! no number. I didn't even think about this when I took the picture. icon_smile.gif Thanks again

I am not a teacher: only a fellow-traveller of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead, ahead of myself as well as you.

I was reading this thread when I realized my first Travel Bug (Iggy) probably had his number exposed in his photo. icon_eek.gif I have not released him yet so a quick trip to Photoshop and a little Guassian Blur and Viola! no number. I didn't even think about this when I took the picture. icon_smile.gif Thanks again

I am not a teacher: only a fellow-traveller of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead, ahead of myself as well as you.

quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Leopard:

Now, if the number were on the back of the tag... ;>

I've had people post pictures both ways, showing either the front or the back of the tag, so that wouldn't necessarily help. (Unless you also put a THIS SIDE UP ^ notice along with it? icon_wink.gif)

Fortunately, the couple of occasions people have posted either pictures showing the number, or entries listing it, a polite e-mail, asking them to edit it out, and explaining why, has been successful. icon_smile.gif {knock on wood}

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Leopard:

Now, if the number were on the back of the tag... ;>

I've had people post pictures both ways, showing either the front or the back of the tag, so that wouldn't necessarily help. (Unless you also put a THIS SIDE UP ^ notice along with it? icon_wink.gif)

Fortunately, the couple of occasions people have posted either pictures showing the number, or entries listing it, a polite e-mail, asking them to edit it out, and explaining why, has been successful. icon_smile.gif {knock on wood}

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg