Travel bugs not being logged correctly

Crusso

I have a travel bug that keeps getting picked up & deposited. The only problem is when this happens the cachers leave only notes on the TB page. In order for the Tracklog to work, I have to go & grab the bug & then redeposit it in the cache it was first placed in on the correct date. Then I have to do this for the 2nd cache & so on. I've had 3 different experienced cachers log this TB & have had to do this 3 times. Are the TBs too difficult to figure out & is there a way to make the process simpler? icon_confused.gif

I think the problem is that your travel bug is also a traveling cache and makes it that much more confusing. They've got to retrieve the bug from the cache and redeposit it back in the cache for the mileage to start racking up...maybe you should clarify the instructions... or else maybe since it's been picked up from it's initial location lose the cache page and just stick with the TBug page?

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

I have a travel bug that keeps getting picked up & deposited. The only problem is when this happens the cachers leave only notes on the TB page. In order for the Tracklog to work, I have to go & grab the bug & then redeposit it in the cache it was first placed in on the correct date.

It would have been far simpler, for you, if you had made the 50 State Traveller one or the other, (a traveling cache or travel bug) instead of both. I think you set some sort of record with all the admonitions and requirements contained on those two pages. icon_wink.gif

When I picked up the cache, the travel bug was assigned to its "namesake" traveling cache and not to the cache location I found it at. That's why I left a note. When I returned home from placing it in "Car Crash Cache," I went to assign it to that page, but I was surprised to see it didn't appear on the list of travel bugs in my possession, and I no longer had the tracking number, so mea culpa on that one. Now that you've fixed up the sequencing, I see P.T. Barnum has gotten it right!

Good luck, and I hope it's smooth sailing from here on in.

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

just think, if you explained what went wrong to those 3 ppl then the next TB they ran across would probly get retrived and deposited correctly.

Nah, after 15 travel bugs, I think I have a pretty good idea how they work. This was the first problem I've encountered. Something went amiss with its assignment early in this bug's life. If I come across a similar problem in the future, I'll just "grab" the bug even if the assignment data is wrong, note the disparity in the log, and let the owner take care of it.

Now that it's been set straight, let's hope it continues without incident!

I assumed the problem was mostly in the fact that this was a combo TB & Cache. I always go for the most difficult way to do something simple! As both Bassoon & Floppy are two of the more experienced cachers out there I was sure I had overlooked something. There was some kind of problem (probably mine) with the initial release of the bug. I think it's all straightened out now.

I had made this a combo since the bug is actually a container & I thought it would be neat to be able to hide it AS a cache & not be dependent on always having to place it IN a cache. I felt this would enable someone who has never hidden a cache to rehide this one. While interesting, it does seem to have raised some difficulties. I thought it would be a nice surprise for someone to find this in a cache & get to log a second "find" as it is also a cache.

If I make it just a bug it can only go into existing caches & won't count as it's own find. I also thought ("thought" lol) that this would enable me to keep better tabs on it since I know that some cachers have trouble logging bugs so this would make it easy to log as a cache which everyone is familiar with doing. Ok, so the idea was there!

Next bug is just a bug! Oh, & Bassoon, I know, I had to keep trimming back my instructions to fit the character limit! icon_rolleyes.gif Sorry! But thanks for helping it on it's way! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

... I had made this a combo since the bug is actually a container & I thought it would be neat to be able to hide it AS a cache & not be dependent on always having to place it IN a cache. I felt this would enable someone who has never hidden a cache to rehide this one. While interesting, it does seem to have raised some difficulties. I thought it would be a nice surprise for someone to find this in a cache & get to log a second "find" as it is also a cache. ...

I agree it's a good idea . . . in effect, it's a large-scale variation of BrianSnat's Pyramid Mtn Roaming Cache. I was tempted to drop your 50 State Traveller off in Greenwich, CT when I was working there, because that part of the state suffers from a dearth of caches, but after consideration, I thought the spot I had tentatively selected would be better suited to a "permanent" cache . . . which I will place shortly!