archived caches

I was wondernig if I can find archived caches on a map? or a list or see them on a map like google maps with active ones, I posted this post a few days ago and I got an error message on the screen and it never posted to the forum, but i hope im not double posting. I know there are some old post about archived caches but those are back in 2008 alot has changed. its almost 2011, my thought is, that I myself go with my family everytime I geocache its our family activity, I found a archived cache that was very very close to a cache we were out and I wish I knew because I would have spent 10minutes looking for it but I think its fun to find caches from years and years ago and ones that have been forgotten.

I was wondernig if I can find archived caches on a map? or a list or see them on a map like google maps with active ones, I posted this post a few days ago and I got an error message on the screen and it never posted to the forum, but i hope im not double posting. I know there are some old post about archived caches but those are back in 2008 alot has changed. its almost 2011, my thought is, that I myself go with my family everytime I geocache its our family activity, I found a archived cache that was very very close to a cache we were out and I wish I knew because I would have spent 10minutes looking for it but I think its fun to find caches from years and years ago and ones that have been forgotten.

There is no great way to generally search for archived caches on geocaching.com - when gc.com maintained its own maps you could see archived listings, but since they moved to a google-powered version years ago the archived listings haven't been available. There are a few partial workarounds.

- Some of the prolific finders in your area will likely have a large number of archived caches in their find history. Paging through those listings may help you start to identify where at least some of them are.

- If there are cachers in the area who maintain a database of all of the caches in a state, they may be able to point you in the right direction as well. In New Jersey a number of cachers have kept on top of that project for quite some time and they believe they have all of the caches ever published in the state going back for quite a while. If I ever had a question about archived caches for NJ, I'd go to them for help. I have no idea if there is anything like that in Indiana, but if the local geocaching groups maintain a web site it might be worth your time to hop on their message boards and ask.

I have found one local family around here at is around 1000 caches and looking through his old finds that have been archived most of them though do seem to be complety lost and MIA from back in 2004. but I guess thats what I am getting myself into haha. thank you for the reply. I just wish I could get them on a map from google instantly. but that would be too easy haha.

In theory, if the cache has been archived, the container shouldn't be there anymore. But in practice, sure, it might be there.

I once stumbled across the final to an archived multi that had been muggled, then apparently replaced by the person who took it. I figured out which cache it was by lining up the dates of a few of the logs and looking at the cachers' profiles to see which archived cache they'd all logged that day.

Unfortunately, it seems the usual way is by looking through the found caches of local cachers who have been at it for a while. Or by the history of a travel bug, if it's one that has been around the area for a while. Or sometimes they will show up on public bookmark lists, if the list owner hasn't updated them.

They really should let you make PQs for Archived caches so that we can attempt to clean up some geotrash.

I have searched for several archived caches in my area and have found 2. They were not quite geotrash yet as they were in good condition and had signable logs. A person should fully research why the cache was archived. They may be on private property without permission or violated guidelines. I realize the container should be long gone however that may not always be true.

When I went to Groundspeak Headquarters they said they get about one call a week complaining about geocaches in bad spots (ie private property, close to their property line, the traffic makes their dog bark, etc.)

If these caches that get complained about get archived for it, and people continue to search for them, it is not good for this sport. Bigger complaints will ensue.

However, if a cache gets archived because the owner moves out of the area, or a similar reason, then there is no reason not to look for it.

Just because a cache is archived on Geocaching.com, doesn't mean that it's not a viable cache listed on another site. It's the responsibility of the owner to pick up their property.

Good point. I have an archived cache that is still listed on another site that starts with Navi. It still gets logged occasionally.

I've also found caches that have been long archived and logged finds on them. There are a lot of archived caches that are just simply abandoned because the CO has lost interest.

GreySquint.gif