Vulgar cache got approved

GPS-Hermit

So where does GC draw the line? A person could twist there way to make a lot of word meanings “vulgar” to someone/themselves, if not in this society then others. Maybe all cache names should just be random letters and numbers.

7734, GC1V08 cache would that make everyone happy? Someone would still find a reason to P & M.

That is an extremely good point - why are there so many caches that don't offend anyone, how does this happen without the help of forum objections. I have to observe that most are conforming to what THEY(EACH ONE OF YOU!) (not me) believe is appropriate for the areana in which you preside. Who does decide and why are most of the caches respectful of the community. Because YOU want it that way! YOU decided (I didn't). Without anyone twisting anything - almost all go with greatness and exceed the moral standards of the place we live in. While the supreme court gives us the right to do as we please - we draw our lines in a better place because our standards are higher than the rights we have. Our rights don't define who we are, just who we CAN be. Consider this. The cache owner, of her own free will, made a decision to define who she is by her actions to adjust. She decided and only she gets the credit for it. I can tell you from the email she sent, she deserves the respect of the community as someone who cares about being part of all that is good in this community. She didn't adjust for me, she did out of respect for all of you guys and where her heart took her. Send her a note and welcome her to the community with open arms and no opinions. Just welcome her! And ask yourself - why are my caches the way they are! I have the right to do anything I want!

Edited by GPS-Hermit

I have deleted my log in the cache page and I do accept her willingness to edit the log. She is right, I certainly should have tried to ask her first, but I really expected a sour result from doing so. I was totally wrong in that regard and have learned from it. I truely hope her life goes as well as her log indicates and that she finds more caches than any of us.

Translation: I bullied a new cacher into fitting my narrow view and I'm satisfied with myself now.

Spot on Human! Spot on. GreyRedEyesFlashing.gif

GreySquint.gif

http://coord.info/GC279T8

This cache uses

The F word

The S word

The A word

It's also located in a country where none of those words would be considered particularly objectionable.

A substantial number of caches in the United States contain words which would be considered rude to native speakers of a wide variety of languages. Does every sequence of characters on every cache page have to pass a filter for every language spoken? Should there be a "caches banned here" circle, 3 miles in radius, around N 48°04 E012°52? (Note: the Google map around these coordinates may be considered not family-friendly.)

It is not only about boinking it is about the exact location of where it happened in parking lot and celebrating the event on a PG rated web site. The cache owner has graciously and wonderfully removed all the offense and written me a wonderful letter explain it was never her intent to offend. The issue is closed.

since you are so strong in your views as to what is vulgar and what is not, shouldn't you have taken the issue up with the CO in private conversation rather than making a "circus" of the situation by plastering it on the forums?

its quite obvious now that hardly anyone shares your opinion, perhaps is something to consider in the future if another cache is offending you

Boy a lot of you just don't see it do you. It is not really the litle children that may see it that are the problem. Of course a little child would not get it and if they did it would be the fault of someone else. But at an age where hormones are running and little self control to offset seeing caches set up to commemorate such an act is definitely not helping the self control side win. Now some of you might think it is ok at that age but if they end up with an std or a child at such an early age it would be a problem. A lackadaisical attitude about the deed breeds a lackadaisical attitude about the deed.

Encouraging kids by a lack of care is reckless and irresponsible. Parents who smoke have kids who smoke, parents who do drugs have kids who do drugs. It's not a given but it is highly likely. Same goes for a lackadaisical attitude about the deed.

Anyway that is my rant and all I say is whether or not you think it is wrong or not in high school I think we can all agree that it is a slippery slope that could lead to a lot of misery for high school kids if the attitude is so flippant.

Only it didn't say she got boinked. It said she did the deed here in high school and explained that the deed was working at her first job. Then in the description there was an ellipsis ... and a mention that it's a majical (sic) place. When someone infers that the CO was placing the cache to commemorate where she boinked it only tells me something about where the mind of that someone is. If a child were to infer this from what was written you may already have problem and it wasn't caused by this cache. You might worry about snickering when you read this and then have to explain to a child what was funny. Of course you could answer that you were laughing at the way she spelled magical. :D

I wasn't particularly offended, but the intent was nowhere near as subtle as you're trying to make it sound. There's "nod nod wink wink" and there's "NOD NOD WINK WINK".

Boy a lot of you just don't see it do you. It is not really the litle children that may see it that are the problem. Of course a little child would not get it and if they did it would be the fault of someone else. But at an age where hormones are running and little self control to offset seeing caches set up to commemorate such an act is definitely not helping the self control side win. Now some of you might think it is ok at that age but if they end up with an std or a child at such an early age it would be a problem. A lackadaisical attitude about the deed breeds a lackadaisical attitude about the deed.

Encouraging kids by a lack of care is reckless and irresponsible. Parents who smoke have kids who smoke, parents who do drugs have kids who do drugs. It's not a given but it is highly likely. Same goes for a lackadaisical attitude about the deed.

Anyway that is my rant and all I say is whether or not you think it is wrong or not in high school I think we can all agree that it is a slippery slope that could lead to a lot of misery for high school kids if the attitude is so flippant.

Cache listings cause STDs? Seriously? Talk to me when you can call it "sex" instead of "the deed".

My favorite part was where you called out parents who smoke & do drugs as being responsible for their kids doing the same, but conveniently absolved them of responsibility for issues around hypothetical sexual activity.

Cache listings cause STDs? Seriously? Talk to me when you can call it "sex" instead of "the deed".

I don't mind the use of the word sex, I was using the deed because that was the context.

My favorite part was where you called out parents who smoke & do drugs as being responsible for their kids doing the same, but conveniently absolved them of responsibility for issues around hypothetical sexual activity.

Ok I will try to spell it out clearly. In the USA cigarettes are all but gone from TV. Used to be all over the place. Then they saw children latching on to cigarettes so they censored it. Drug use on TV is prefaced with a warning and is dealt with through censorship. Some how sex is not censored in the same way. If they don't show it happening they can talk about it all they want on tv. This is strange considering I know quite a few more kids that were messed up with STD's and children and sexual misconduct than I do kids actually suffering from cigarettes.

The point is to try, on our own, to act responsibly in front of these impressionable teens so that we don't steer them wrong. The parents are the major driving force here. I do not absolve the parents from not raising there kids right. Would you rather help those parents or potentially thwart those efforts?

I personally would like to make it easier for kids that want to be self controlled by being at least one person that is trying to portray sex in a positive light for married couples who are more capable of dealing with children and a situation less likely to involve STD's. I would like to expose teens to as little negative pressure in this regard as possible.

Edited by jameyp

Parents who smoke have kids who smoke, parents who do drugs have kids who do drugs. It's not a given but it is highly likely.

Ok I will try to spell it out clearly. In the USA cigarettes are all but gone from TV. Used to be all over the place. Then they saw children latching on to cigarettes so they censored it. Drug use on TV is prefaced with a warning and is dealt with through censorship. Some how sex is not censored in the same way. If they don't show it happening they can talk about it all they want on tv.

Cigarettes are still everywhere on TV, just not in commercials. Lots of sitcoms on with drug references and no warnings, except on "reality" shows like Intervention. What you're still saying is that parents are responsible for their kids smoking & doing drugs, but sex is still exclusively TV's fault . Where are the parents? Are they absolved of all responsibility?

There's violence all over TV, but I don't see kids re-enacting the murder from last week's CSI.

Sex is part of human nature (if it weren't, there'd be no more humans). Drugs & alcohol are not. The uptight, puritanical, "sex is bad, don't talk about it" attitude is more irresponsible than talking about it with a healthy conversation about being safe. Use the opportunities to open a dialog with kids, don't just block it all out. They're going to learn eventually about it from their their parents, TV, school, friends, or on their own - in increasing order of danger (and yes, school is a dangerous place to learn about it, with "abstinence-only" education).

I don't mind the use of the word sex, I was using the deed because that was the context.

Okay, fair enough. But... cache listings cause STDs?!?!?

Edited by Castle Mischief

Ok now your just being silly.

Dude, it was your logic, not mine. Apparently suggestive cache listing are the gateway drug to a future rife with cooties.

Parents who smoke have kids who smoke, parents who do drugs have kids who do drugs. It's not a given but it is highly likely.

Ok I will try to spell it out clearly. In the USA cigarettes are all but gone from TV. Used to be all over the place. Then they saw children latching on to cigarettes so they censored it. Drug use on TV is prefaced with a warning and is dealt with through censorship. Some how sex is not censored in the same way. If they don't show it happening they can talk about it all they want on tv.

Cigarettes are still everywhere on TV, just not in commercials. Lots of sitcoms on with drug references and no warnings, except on "reality" shows like Intervention. What you're still saying is that parents are responsible for their kids smoking & doing drugs, but sex is still exclusively TV's fault . Where are the parents? Are they absolved of all responsibility?

There's violence all over TV, but I don't see kids re-enacting the murder from last week's CSI.

Sex is part of human nature (if it weren't, there'd be no more humans). Drugs & alcohol are not. The uptight, puritanical, "sex is bad, don't talk about it" attitude is more irresponsible than talking about it with a healthy conversation about being safe. Use the opportunities to open a dialog with kids, don't just block it all out. They're going to learn eventually about it from their their parents, TV, school, friends, or on their own - in increasing order of danger (and yes, school is a dangerous place to learn about it, with "abstinence-only" education).

Well I don't know what show you are watching cuz I haven't seen anything like that. The shows I watch whenever there is a mention of doing drugs it has a warning at the beginning. But that is not really my point.

My point is I am not trying to avoid talking about it, just don't wear it like a badge of honor. That is all. This cache pre-edit was portraying it as a badge of honor. That is low brow and potentially encouraging kids.

Seriously though how many women out there would actually go around with a belt on that had notches on it to represent all their past encounters. To me this is the same thing.

Anyway I am done. If you still don't agree then that is your prerogative. I will bore you no more with my prudishness (or entertain if you found it funny).

Edited by jameyp

Dude, it was your logic, not mine. Apparently suggestive cache listing are the gateway drug to a future rife with cooties.

Ok one more try. Irresponsible behavior on display proudly in front of teens can lead to like behoviour. Ok I am done for real this time

Ok one more try. Irresponsible behavior on display proudly in front of teens can lead to like behoviour. Ok I am done for real this time

Have you seen the demographics for geocaching? It's like 70% retirement age, 20% 35-50 year olds, and 10% the children that get dragged along because they're too young to drive.

I'm sure there are teenagers out there, and all five of them have not seen the cache page that was apparently pushing them to the brink of a penicillin prescription.

And I agree with what was said about you absolving the parents and blaiming the media and I guess now cache pages.

Bottom line. If you think a cache page might have crossed some line, then bring it to the local reviewer's attention. Maybe it did. Let the reviewer make the call and then let it go.

I guess I snickered more over this one. "Quick Park and Grab" :D

same CO same reviewer! Got to draw the line somewhere - this is where I would draw it!

Oh, come on, now!! Relax. How were you conceived, anyway? Besides (checking the cache owner's profile), she's not hard to look at! :D

Agreed! :laughing:

After reading this thread, I read several other of her cache descriptions. While nothing is likely as over the top as the "Deed" series may have been (I didn't see them pre-edit...), many caches have things that can be certainly taken the wrong way. Perhaps a little double entendre if you will. Sounds like the CO was quite a gall in high school...

At any rate, I am not particularly offended by it. Poor taste, yes but not to the point of calling out the CO and posting a log to her cache.

Here is a part of a log GPS Hermit wrote for Fisherman's Cache:

Co-ordinates were "Dead on Balls Accurate"

I guess family friendly doesn't apply to his logs. :D

That is an engineering term involving ball bearing causing measurements to be perfectly accurate!

"my cousin vinny" not a vulger term!

Maybe engineers talk a lot differently where you're from, but I'm an engineer, I've worked with a lot of engineers, and I went to school where a lot of engineers worked, and I've NEVER heard this term used to indicate accuracy.

P.S. Perhaps you could slow down with the exclamation points!

Eh?!

Thanks!

:D !

Have you seen the demographics for geocaching? It's like 70% retirement age, 20% 35-50 year olds, and 10% the children that get dragged along because they're too young to drive.

I'm sure there are teenagers out there, and all five of them have not seen the cache page that was apparently pushing them to the brink of a penicillin prescription.

And I agree with what was said about you absolving the parents and blaiming the media and I guess now cache pages.

Bottom line. If you think a cache page might have crossed some line, then bring it to the local reviewer's attention. Maybe it did. Let the reviewer make the call and then let it go.

All of that happened - and it got changed for the better! Case closed!

I approve much less of using the cache page as a forum to air your grievances. Either contact a reviewer or don't, but leave the cache page alone.

reviewer has been contacted - we will see what is said - I really want to know what the limits are in Geo-caching

This is a adult theme and we are not allowed adult material in the caches, along with weapons, drugs or knives. IN keeping with that we do have our limits on what should be done and this one is way over the limit.

I think you are BLOWING(sorry, couldn't resist)this way out of proportion. To get a sexual reference, you have to interpret the CO's slyly suggested meaning. A child would not get the reference, and if they did, they are already highly knowledgeable about sex.

I say, give it a break. Your comparison to items not to be left in caches is not the same. I, personally have removed adult material and condoms left in caches. I didn't make a big deal about them, just disposed of them.

Should there be a "caches banned here" circle, 3 miles in radius, around N 48°04 E012°52? (Note: the Google map around these coordinates may be considered not family-friendly.)

Wow that's awesome.

That's wolfing awesome!

I see that you can get to Haid from there, and if you zoom out a bit, you will see the town of Tittmoning. Interesting area.
http://coord.info/GC279T8

This cache uses

The F word

The S word

The A word

It's also located in a country where none of those words would be considered particularly objectionable.

Nor the grammar :D. That example is a translation issue, not a symbol of how open "other countries" are compared to prudish Americans.

Non-English-speaking programmers frequently encode inappropriate words into PSP scripts, or their web sites (selling programming services). I've sometimes offered to polish the text for them. Many of these people didn't know Americans don't really talk like sailors, in professional business settings, such as on public web sites. The above example was not translated properly from the native language, so it's entirely likely they have no idea how ridiculous the text looks. As this applies to Geocaching, a cache description with bad grammar (let alone nastiness) is a clue that it's a bad cache. Use that valuable clue and consider ignoring those caches.

It's slightly humorous to have a suggestive phrase for a cache description, so I wouldn't get too uptight about it. But there's no need to then add a paragraph to clarify it in case I didn't get the joke.

Edited by kunarion

If you'll look at the CO's other hides, you'll see the rest of this series. #6 was mild with its suggestions compared to others, especially #1. I agree, kinda inappropriate, not vulgar. Smaller kids won't get these references and older people, if offended, just don't search for this series.

If you'll look at the CO's other hides, you'll see the rest of this series. #6 was mild with its suggestions compared to others, especially #1. I agree, kinda inappropriate, not vulgar. Smaller kids won't get these references and older people, if offended, just don't search for this series.
I think its kind of funny that this thread has caused many people to look at her caches than would otherwise have seen them. Thanks for doing the deed, GPS-Hermit!! Its been fun!
I think its kind of funny that this thread has caused many people to look at her caches than would otherwise have seen them. Thanks for doing the deed, GPS-Hermit!! Its been fun!

As those cache descriptions are obviously a cry for help, the publicity may cause the CO to get the therapy they need.

As those cache descriptions are obviously a cry for help, the publicity may cause the CO to get the therapy they need.
I suspect the fact that she edited the cache pages would indicate that she is in a state of denial.

I hit a cache yesterday that leads right to a seemingly well used sex location.There was 3 fresh condoms when I got there. And when I say "right to" I mean the very spot the cache is, the condoms were within 5 feet. I'm not sure the CO knows because it is a beautiful trail that leads down to a creek. Fell tree over the trail so it's perfect for a cache. Unfortunately it appears to be perfect for other things too. I sure hope the cache location isn't related.

I hit a cache yesterday that leads right to a seemingly well used sex location.There was 3 fresh condoms when I got there. And when I say "right to" I mean the very spot the cache is, the condoms were within 5 feet.

That's not an uncommon sight in semi-rural forested areas around here. I sometimes make a reference to finding "lots of containers", but I don't further describe the discovery. If it's DNF, it stays DNF. I won't return. Edited by kunarion

"I say, give it a break. Your comparison to items not to be left in caches is not the same. I, personally have removed adult material and condoms left in caches. I didn't make a big deal about them, just disposed of them."

I beg to differ on this one - items not allowed in the cache says "everything" it makes a clear statement about what is appropriate - very very very clear. The cache page in question was clearly an adult theme posted in a family oriented web site - we do have limits - everything and anything is not allowed. We are in an areana with limits. Some things you just don't do.

I too have removed unsuitable items from caches. I have picked up trash that others had a right to discard. And so on and so on!

Go read the newpaper articles about Geo-Caching and see what they say about us as a community. What do you want them to say - do you want them to give warning about content they are our about to read. It is not about what is appropriate in general - it is about what is appropriate here at GC.com.

The guideline for cache contents really do say alot! It certainly sets the over all theme for the web site!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say her image gallery has seen a few extra hits too. :D Not that I looked myself or anything.

Yeah I had the same thought earlier...Good advertising. :D

I read it before it was changed and Yes i would of approved it and no i didnt find it offensive at all. I found it funny though!

Im suprised that you found the cache page offensive by being "suggestive" and yet you still posted this picture on one of your logs kind of a hypocritical a bit if ya ask me. :D:D:laughing:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...0d-111f066c91d8

Wow......

Edited by EhFhQ

I read it before it was changed and Yes i would of approved it and no i didnt find it offensive at all. I found it funny though!

Im suprised that you found the cache page offensive by being "suggestive" and yet you still posted this picture on one of your logs kind of a hypocritical a bit if ya ask me. :D:D:laughing:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...0d-111f066c91d8

aahhhmmmmmm----That's pic is just nasty.

"Reviewer!! Reviewer!!!

I think there needs to be some reprimand for posting this pic on a cache page!" :laughing:

Hang on...Did he say;

stealthy as a Cunning Fox

Mrs B. Isn't that British slang?

Edited by zoltig