December 2010 Photography Competition

Thanks to Martlakes for judging last month's competition ... and picking mine!

Please get your photos posted to this thread on or before the 31st December. Depending on the extent of our Hogmanay celebrations, I will endeavour to pick a winner as soon as I can in the new year.

The rules are similar to those used in previous months.....

1) The photo must be cache related and to do with a specific UK cache, caching series or caching trip - please include a link to the cache or the GC.... code so we can see where the picture relates to.

2) Two photos per caching team or cacher. (Maybe 3 if you really have an extra pic that's great!)

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme* if they wish.

5) Photos should be recent. Higher credit will be given to photos taken in the current month.

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. This should give sufficient time for the winner (or other person if necessary) to start the new thread.

If you haven't already uploaded a photo, a good tip might be to upload to one of your log entries (it can just be 'post a note'). Then, display the photo and copy the URL to provide a link to the post. If it's not actually relevant to the cache you've used, delete the note and the photo - the URL will still work. On this forum, add a reply and click the small green tree icon above the text box and paste in your URL.

* I think a winter theme would be appropriate for this month. We have over a foot of snow and it's still falling! Any pictures with snow and ice will get more brownie points, but any other good pictures can be entered.

Hi i did like the pics that are here on this posting but some of us like pat and i since 2004 have never managed to get a picture up on the website,we have missed out on so many earth caches after getting the clues or answers but unable to manage the pic thing.alibags soon is going to help us sort this out so you never know.we have had other offers of help a while ago but if the instructions have just one click missing then you fail, Once we have been shown i will do an article on this as at events i have spoken to lots of cachers who cant do this either, merry christmas to you all from patandjeff with sali and george the corgis who make up team bones1.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4-a7cd6d33a84d#

dont know how to get a pic off my pc to here??????? but its in link

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/fb2cd8...ef56d5593e0.jpg

any help on this please

The photograph has to have a URL. One of the easiest ways to give it a URL is to first add it to one of your cache logs, as you have with the photo you link to above.

To put that photo into a forum post:

Copy the URL link for the photo, then

Click the + AddReply box to make a post

Click on the little tree icon above the reply box

This will open a separate little box - Paste the URL of your photo into that box

Click OK

That puts the link to your photograph into the forum reply box. Then add any title or comments as required. To see whether it's worked properly click "Preview Post" before you click the "Add Reply" to submit your post.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4-a7cd6d33a84d#

dont know how to get a pic off my pc to here??????? but its in link

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/fb2cd8...ef56d5593e0.jpg

any help on this please

The photograph has to have a URL. One of the easiest ways to give it a URL is to first add it to one of your cache logs, as you have with the photo you link to above.

To put that photo into a forum post:

Copy the URL link for the photo, then

Click the + AddReply box to make a post

Click on the little tree icon above the reply box

This will open a separate little box - Paste the URL of your photo into that box

Click OK

That puts the link to your photograph into the forum reply box. Then add any title or comments as required. To see whether it's worked properly click "Preview Post" before you click the "Add Reply" to submit your post.

MrsB

Thank you MrsB

fb2cd84d-d1d9-47b3-851d-6ef56d5593e0.jpg

hope this worked more to come

........................................................ X ..............

Hi i did like the pics that are here on this posting but some of us like pat and i since 2004 have never managed to get a picture up on the website,we have missed out on so many earth caches after getting the clues or answers but unable to manage the pic thing.alibags soon is going to help us sort this out so you never know.we have had other offers of help a while ago but if the instructions have just one click missing then you fail, Once we have been shown i will do an article on this as at events i have spoken to lots of cachers who cant do this either, merry christmas to you all from patandjeff with sali and george the corgis who make up team bones1.

The hard part is uploading your pic to the cache page and this is quite easy.

First prepare your pic, if you have a high mega pixel camera the site does not like it, so re save your pic to a smaller pixel setting. Do this by editing your pic and alter the save file to a lower resolution.

Once this is done go back to one of your logs on a cache page, under the log is an edit link saying " Upload an image for this log " follow this link and select the file name of your edited image enter any text and click upload.

Once this is done copy the URL " http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...c6-503b5004fc84 " like this now before you paste the url at the top of this box is an "insert image" button, i have put an X under it, click this and paste the url.

Then add text if you wish or add the text first then do the link bit.

hope this helps.

Hi

Probably the only decent pic I've ever taken while caching (I actually took it earlier this year so I'm not sure it counts even though it fits the theme) It was taken in Groudle Glen in the Isle of Man and the waterwheel is mentioned in this cache description GC256Y5 (there are actually several caches in the area and I took the pic while out checking on one of my own)

DSC01102_2.jpg

Cheers

Greg

Every month I look eagerly at this thread thinking that THIS month I'll add a photo :sad: . Then I see more and more stunning photos added and realise that I could never match any of the excellent photos put on B) ! So I'll just sit back in admiration at all you talented photographers out there. Thanks for sharing them :o !

Just go for it. Winning isn't everything. Last month I considered my entry was by far the best :laughing: and may well still go on to be published in Hello Magazine. I also have it on good authority that the judge actually chose mine initially, but then met some shady characters in the dead of night and there was an exchange of roubles for votes. I may be mixing this up with something else though......

We've just an absolutely FANTASTIC afternoon at Elterwater/Skelwith Force. Stunning doesn't do it justice! I'm struggling to decide which two photos to put here, but here goes...

b3ae01c6-d85c-4ced-a2c4-38850f1d470f.jpg

Thats ice crytals formed on marsh grass. I've got quite into using an old lens reversed to get REALLY close in. The only problem is that I have to set everything manually and use the flash, so its complete guesswork really! I think its worked well.

0a4d1e2b-60c9-494b-add2-91f34c4d39c7.jpg

I just love the peace and calm this picture dipicts. I think it'd make an excellent Christmas card.

I really want to include the robin from that set of pictures as well, but I won't. But the picture I've uploaded to the log isn't the closest it got. Unfortunately, the camera can't focus closer than about 6" and the flash just washes everything out at that distance.

Wow G, that close up is amazing - looks like a claw holding up a precious jewel! Really good. Landscape is great too, nice composition.

Here's a strange sight we came across at Staveley. Honestly, this was exactly how we found it and no Photoshopping or anything involved. The river was frozen on the edges and I can only presume this was what was left of an earlier section, or spray on a rock. Really don't know how it formed.

http://coord.info/GC173PZ

98c0215a-87eb-408c-b04c-51f6aaa4ad9d.jpg

One from a recce for a possible cache. Canal was frozen and someone had cycled along it, but not through the bridge, which looks much thinner! Great late afternoon light coming through.

b9b040c3-8e2c-4e1c-8c95-479fd28117a1.jpg

And finally, the moment you have all been waiting for...

But first a quick run down of the entries:

DrDick&Vick – even though it's not a caching picture, it is a striking image, like something from Star Trek. The palm trees are well plastered in snow.

Burtsbodgers – nicely framed by the tree.

Geobuzzbee – interesting piece of machinery. It's always difficult to get everything in focus when they are at such different distances from the camera.

t.a.folk – it's good to get out and about in the snow to see unusual things like this.

Chlo-po-the-explorer – a lot of camera shake. I guess your phone camera was struggling under the streetlights.

Greg3 – it's always good to get some red in a picture to capture your interest and the water-wheel works well here against the black and white.

Seganku – Good one of Santa's robin. I hope your signature “Poke with a stick....” didn't apply.

Keehotee – strange 1970's colours in this sunburst. But effective too.

Martlakes – it took me a few moments to see the dog in the picture! Well timed.

Somloci – good details and contrasting textures in this reflection.

Colin4unow – something you don't see very often – an icebreaker on a canal.

Dakar4x4 – poor sheep. A good collection of icicles, but only a fraction of the size of the one on my house at that time!

Captain Gore-tex – I like the atmospheric qualities and the silhouettes of the trees fading into the distance.

Flipflopnick – very colourful for a winter scene.

Nick & Ali – proper snow! Mrs H didn't like the orange, but I think it adds a bit of drama to the picture.

Guanajuato – nice close up of the unusual black coloured ice crystals. Your Christmas card scene has a great sky and intriguing footprints leading you in.

martlakes – well observed ice crystal formation, most unusual. Lovely colours looking through bridge 143.

currykev – great capture of the moment. Someone looks like they are having fun!

My one late entry – most of the ducks had there backs to me, so it can't win.

Vin42 – nice lead-in line of footsteps and a colourful subject.

And so to the final result, in reverse order...

3rd place :mellow: : the Christmas card scene by Guanajuato

2nd place :) : Captain Gore-tex for the Flaming Kestrel landscape

and the winner :D : The Happy Snow Dog by Currykev

Well done to everyone who entered. I think the pictures show that it is always worth getting out and about no matter what the weather. Thank you to Mrs Blorenge for helping people to upload their pictures. And to zarbi&zarbibird and others who did not enter - go on, it's only for fun.

WOW.

I haven't won a competition for an age.

DottyTheDog will be so pleased to tell her friend "Mist" that he is so photogenic.

Some truly stunning pics in December, making the most of the icy weather.

Ta. Now on to this months comp. Come on get your new Xmas pressie cameras and camera phones ready.