Send the object with the tags?

halldorr

It would be kind of funny to open a cache and just find the tags! It'd be like going out and seeing someone walking their dog colar, but no dog!!!

All kidding aside, the idea behind the Travel Bug is that the tags are to provide tracking to your object of choice. Usually the bug has a theme or a goal as well.

Post a message to this with a picture and a link to your bug and I'll add it to my watch list and see if I can pick it up when it gets to Toronto!

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

I've seen just the travel bug tags put out there. The first time I didn't take it cause I thought it was missing something and it was the first bug I'd come across when they first came out. The next time I took the bug and attached a geocaching keychain compas to it.... it just felt like it needed something. I think without an object there's even more of a chance of the bugs going MIA.. leaves too much open to chance.

I happily met SharonTina some weeks back, and she is just the tag, with some paper in a bag. I was surprised to see no item attached, so I emailed the owner. You can see all the details when you click on the link there.

Had I thought about it more, I might have asked if they'd mind if I would have attached something to the tag.... In any case, she seems to be doing well!

-----

dartfrogsmall.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

It would be kind of funny to open a cache and just find the tags! It'd be like going out and seeing someone walking their dog colar, but no dog!!!

Yes, one normally attaches the TB to the item before placing it in a cache, and keeps the "Copy" tag for reference.

But I have found "unattached" TBs in caches on three occassions. The owners had created names and missions for their TB tags, but had chosen (or forgotten) to attach them to an item. (One individual left the tag AND its "copy tag" in a cache.) I logged the fact that they weren't attached to anything in three places: In my log for the cache I acquired the TB at, in the TB log, and in the log for the cache I dropped it off at. In one of the cases, a subsequent TB grabber attached an item to the tags.

I just found four travel bugs over the weekend and none of them had an item attached. This was a first. One of them was taped to the inside lid of the cache. I logged in its number and low and behold, it was active.

I guess after reading this, I will e-mail the owners and see if they want to attach anything.

goldfish.gif

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day...

Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime"

Three of them were placed by one person. So that's understandable. The other was left by a local cacher. One was found in State College and the other three near Kane, PA. They all have names!

Hitchy

Railroad Jimmy

CollinsCo

NCST Bug

I've already placed two, thinking they will probably come up MIA soon, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Think I should e-mail the owner of the other two and ask if they want something attached? I hate to be a pest.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day...

Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime"

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

i found a TB like that a while ago, i thought it must have gotten seperated from its item, but nothing in the cache looked like it had ever been attached to the tags. i took them with me and emailed the owner, they replied that the TB was their first and it was just a the tag and the chain it was on, so i got permission to add a couple small toys to the chain, then give so and sent the TB on its way

quote:
Originally posted by smoochnme:

I just found four travel bugs over the weekend and none of them had an item attached. This was a first. One of them was taped to the inside lid of the cache. I logged in its number and low and behold, it was active.

the cache wasnt actually a really big TB was it??

i would email all the owner(s) and ask what was attached, or if they wanted anything attached to the tbs.

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

i would email all the owner(s) and ask what was attached, or if they wanted anything attached to the tbs.

No, there were plenty of the usual items in all the caches and no mention of the cache being a TB. I will e-mail the owners ASAP.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"When the last tree is cut...

"When the last stream is polluted...

"When the last fish is caught.

You still can't eat the money"

quote:
Originally posted by smoochnme:

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

No, there were plenty of the usual items in all the caches and no mention of the cache being a TB. I will e-mail the owners ASAP.

I have e-amailed the owners of these TB and they were not aware of being able to attach them to something icon_confused.gif

One of the finders of another of their TB didn't know about logging it in icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

A suggestion was made that travel bug information should be more prominant on the web page. Personally, I think its fine. But new people who are excited and wanting to do everything sometimes fail to read all the instructions and won't go looking for instructions on the web site. This may be the reason many TB's go MIA.

In any event, looks like some new TB user's are now "educated"

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"Only when the last tree is cut,

and the last stream is polluted,

and the last fish is caught,

will we realize that you can't eat the money"