EC's located in state you don't reside in

Bird Watcher 8

I know this guy in Southern California that listed ECs, in Maine, Mississippi, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Northern California and Australia :laughing: . The only thing stopping him from doing more is time and money for travel.

I don't know of an official policy on that. My experience is that it won't matter.

A warning (and I'll duck and cover here :laughing: as I've seen it in multiple posts ), you will get multiple responses saying it shouldn't be allowed for this or that reason (typically for maintenance issues, but you'll see many other issues). Don't let that stop you contributing to the EC list.

Edited by TerryDad2

I don't know of an official policy on that. My experience is that it won't matter. I've set up ECs in multiple states and counties far from my home. I even set one up on the other side of the world.

A warning (and I'll duck and cover here :laughing: as I've seen it in multiple posts ), you will get multiple responses saying it shouldn't be allowed for this or that reason (typically for maintenance issues, but you'll see many other issues). Don't let that stop you contributing to the EC list.

The only real issue I have seen is that YOU must take the original coordinates.

I don't know of an official policy on that. My experience is that it won't matter. I've set up ECs in multiple states and counties far from my home. I even set one up on the other side of the world.

The only real issue I have seen is that YOU must take the original coordinates.

Oh yea. Quite true. I forgot that and a very good thing to point out.

You must have visited the site in the last month and be prepared to check a site for safety aspects while it is active (if appropriate).

There is currently NO restriction on you developing an EC anywhere on the planet as long as you meet all the guidelines.

www.earthcache.org

Edited by geoaware

You can 'own' an EC site in another location, as long as you have visited there, and it is best that during your visit you developed the logging tasks. This is so that you can be assured they are rigorous enough to withstand 'couch caching'. The EC reviewers, if in doubt, will ask about your visit(s) to the site to confirm that you have been there.

You must have visited the site in the last month and be prepared to check a site for safety aspects while it is active (if appropriate).

There is currently NO restriction on you developing an EC anywhere on the planet as long as you meet all the guidelines.

www.earthcache.org

Yes, this is my understanding also. :laughing: :laughing: Like TerryDad2 said, look out for issues with EC's, there seems to be alot of them. Don't let that discourage you, develop as many good ones that you can. We just completed a good EC find today, and some interesting Waymarks that we would never even knew about if not for geocaching. BTW: We logged a DNF on the traditional cache nearby. :rolleyes:

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

I am planning to place an EC in Oregon, but I live in Nevada. I know a person from Calif who owns one in Nevada. Does anyone know the official ruling on this? :D

I suppose as there is no container or log book to maintain there is no need for mantenance vsits . Once however some one worried me because they claim a fossil had disappeared so I went to check it was still there and had not been hacked off or stolen. It was a false alarm but that could i be annoying if you live hundreds of miles from the cache!

I am glad to see Earthcacher writers "branching out" to territories where they don't live. There really aren't that many people who write more than one or two, so needless to say, many areas on the globe have VERY FEW earthcaches (since noone who likes doing the EXTRA HARD WORK) lives nearby. I own earthcaches that I have written in 17 states....It is my "travel hobby" and since I travel a lot, if I should ever need to check on one for safety reasons, I can probably do so (and if not, I will gladly archive it to maintain the quality of the sport).

All that to say, GO FOR IT!

I am glad to see Earthcacher writers "branching out" to territories where they don't live. There really aren't that many people who write more than one or two, so needless to say, many areas on the globe have VERY FEW earthcaches (since noone who likes doing the EXTRA HARD WORK) lives nearby. I own earthcaches that I have written in 17 states....It is my "travel hobby" and since I travel a lot, if I should ever need to check on one for safety reasons, I can probably do so (and if not, I will gladly archive it to maintain the quality of the sport).

All that to say, GO FOR IT!

I agree with all but the extra hard work part. There are many of us that enjoy EarthCaching, and would develope more if we could. Most EC developers are teachers, or have some fromal education in the subject of geology. I don't think that it is because we will not put forth the effort, but simply can't meet all the requirements to get one listed. This is why I enjoy Waymarking, it's less restrictive. You probally don't have a EC listing that could not be waymarked, and educate the visitor to the same degree. I mean this in a nice way, and I am glad that people such as yourself contribute to EarthCaching, as it seems education being a factor, and not whether a person is lazy or not. I likely put forth just as much effort and hard work to develope my 3 listings, as it took you to develope 30 of your listings. They seem real nice, keep up the good work.

I didn't look at your profile, so I don't know if you own any EarthCaches yet or not, but my advice would be to try to create one close to home first, so you can get an idea of all the things the reviewers are looking for. It would be a shame to get home from your travels to Oregon, and then find out that you need more information about the site. If you have already gone through the process at home, then by all means go ahead and develop one in Oregon. I live in Canada, yet I own two EarthCaches in New Zealand. I do get a kick out of the logs that say they "really enjoyed visiting my beautiful country" :anicute:

I guess my other advice would just be to take lots of pictures. If your logging tasks are not strong enough, they may ask for more site specific details. If you have photographs to refer to, you may be able to come up with something even after you get back home.

Good luck and enjoy your travels!