Labeling Travel bugs

compass_bearing_north

I attach a laminated card with the travel bug's name and goal printed on it. That way the finder can read the instructions before taking it from the cache. If the finder can't help the bug to it's goal he could leave it for someone who can.

I also put the bug, with tag and note attached, in a ziploc bag to protect it in case the cache leaks.

RichardMoore

www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway

quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Man:

I started attaching small laminated info cards that I print out on standard Business Card Stock.

Great idea and layout, I use the WSGA bug sheet for mine. I did grab your template and might start using it, if you don't mind.

Now if we can just get folks to play by the rules and log the bugs.

quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Man:

I started attaching small laminated info cards that I print out on standard Business Card Stock.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/track/32237_200.jpg

Here is a Microsoft Word Document that will print out on business card stock: http://www.eckeguides.com/geocaching_stuff/Travel_Bug_Front_and_Back.doc .

RM

They also had individual business card ones that were self-laminating. I've used two of them for two of my bugs which I set free today. They worked great. Thanks for the tip.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

Hey Rocket Man,

I am new to GEOCACHING and was looking around here in the forums and found a lot of info to use and it also answered a lot of my questions. I hope it is ok to use the information you provided on helping TB's on their quest.

Thank you again you for you help.

icon_smile.gif

We've seen both the WSGA format and the one that Rocket Man has linked. Both are good, but we've seen people have problems fitting a TB with the WGSA format label into smaller caches. Maybe they could have printed it smaller, I'm not sure.

We've taken the liberty of adding laminated ID/Goal tags to 2 TB's that we moved in order to help out the owners. In both cases, we contacted the owners about the alteration. We know of one case where a TB had intended to travel from Ohio to a particular cache in Wisconsin but got diverted because the goal wasn't evident. It ended up in the southwest for quite some time, after having actually reached Wisconsin. It's now back in Wisconsin waiting for final delivery. Another one had a similar fate, it was heading from Oregon to Montana and ended up in Mexico for a while, then in Michigan where we found it. We added an ID tag and left it in Kansas. We've made it a rule not to move a TB if we don't know where it is heading, but that's our personal choice.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need .... roads" --Dr. Emmett L. Brown

quote:
Originally posted by SnowLeopard:

I found lots of examples and combined them to make my http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=32365 instruction sheet. I uploaded pictures of the instruction sheets - hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

Now that is cool! I've wondered a little about TBs getting diverted again because they had outbound and return goals and if the finder didn't know if they had achieved the outbound goal they could get headed in the wrong direction. Great idea, and I love the graphics.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need .... roads" --Dr. Emmett L. Brown

If you are doing a lot of laminating of cards (small ones ) for travel bugs and etc, you can pick up a box of laminating pouches (plastic 2 sided clear pouches similar to what video rental places use) for laminating machines pretty inexpensive at office supply stores (Office Max and Depot). But you don't need the laminator. Use your iron at home. Make sure it's set on a high setting. Use a cloth of some sort like you would use on delicates when you iron them. It works better on a hrad flat surface, but you can still do it on the iron board. Take the cloth cover the pouch with the card in it. Place the iron over the cloth and press down with some pressure. Let it sit there for a about 10-20 seconds (sometimes longer). Remove the iron and the cloth. Caution!! The card will be somewhat hot. Take the card and place it under a good size book so it will keep it flat. Otherwise it may try to curl a little. It's a lot easier than it sounds. These pouches are better than the big laminating sheets as they are thicker and sturdier. Plus the edges are rounded and don't have shar points.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

I put my Travel Bugs in a 'FoodSaver' or 'Seal-A-Meal' vacuum bag with a printout of the bug's webpage. Have gotten a lot of comments about the 'unique' container, but it does seem to help keep all the 'info' together. Have also written on the bag: "Please DO NOT OPEN", hoping that will also keep all the 'info' together as it travels. The 'vacuum sealing' is also my 'SI'....I put all my 'trade items' in them.....helps with the dreaded 'cache leakage' problems, and the items are as fresh when 'grabbed' as they are when 'dropped'....'FoodSaver Rules!!!'

JayBee

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

If you are doing a lot of laminating of cards (small ones ) for travel bugs and etc, you can pick up a box of laminating pouches (plastic 2 sided clear pouches similar to what video rental places use) for laminating machines pretty inexpensive at office supply stores (Office Max and Depot).

I found some self-laminating pouches at Wal-Mart and have been using those. They are very effective if you take your time when sealing them, and a lot less work in the process.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.