Police warning

mrplenty

Nothing to with caching but have a read.

I cant see anything on there website (www.lbp.police.uk/index.asp) but i got this via facebook.

FAO

all drivers ...please take note......As from today (1st dec)the

police will be stopping anyone with snow on the roof of their car. Fixed

penalty will be £60.00 + 3 penalty points so be careful ....

Merry Christmas Mrplenty

Just had a look around the net and this would seem to be the case, although no one seems to be claiming to have been caught.

It does make sense to do this though as it prevents the snow sliding down and blocking your view while braking.

However i wonder how all those lovely people with 4x4's and people carriers will get on,unless they take a step ladder and a broom with them so they can reach :laughing:

Would be interesting to see how much snow they think constitutes an offence though.

It would be interesting to know exactly what the offence would be, too. I don't believe "Driving while under the influence of snow." is actually on the statute books anywhere. :laughing:

s3 Road Traffic Act 1988 (as amended):- "Careless, and inconsiderate, driving. If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence."

I cant see anything on there website (www.lbp.police.uk/index.asp) but i got this via facebook.

FAO

Merry Christmas Mrplenty

I always believe everything I read on the internet, especially when there's nothing to support it on the police web site. And Facebook is an especially reliable source.

Whats happened in a few parts of the UK there has been competition to see how many feet of snow you can get to work on the roof of your car.

The police have probably pulled some of these over (apparently we are talkin 6 feet of snow here)

And there you have the start of your rumour someones been warned not to do it again or else and it turns into the message we see above.

Worthy of www.snopes.com i think :laughing:

Just had a look around the net and this would seem to be the case, although no one seems to be claiming to have been caught.

It does make sense to do this though as it prevents the snow sliding down and blocking your view while braking.

However i wonder how all those lovely people with 4x4's and people carriers will get on,unless they take a step ladder and a broom with them so they can reach :laughing:

what do you mean 4x4s?!! I'm a shortie and have a micra and I struggle to reach the roof!!! TBH tho tis currently irrelevant since I aint moved it since Saturday so it's under a significant amount of snow not to mention the dregs from the snowploughs for good measure!!!

Snow on the roof can be really bad though. At some point it's going to fall off, possibly under braking over the windscreen, and possibly around a corner taking out a pedestrian. Most likely though at 80* mph on the motorway.

It's easy to brush off, and if you have a huge car, stand on a wheel and hold onto the inside of the door, or roof rails.

*optimism. Don't ya love it.

FAO

Merry Christmas Mrplenty

I always believe everything I read on the internet, especially when there's nothing to support it on the police web site. And Facebook is an especially reliable source.

Exactly. And if it's also backed up by a bloke down the pub - then it's stone bonker, 300%, top draw, dead accurate info.

Snow on the roof can be really bad though. At some point it's going to fall off, possibly under braking over the windscreen, and possibly around a corner taking out a pedestrian. Most likely though at 80* mph on the motorway.

Its amazing what having a German car does to your consideration and thoughtfulness, isn't it! :D:D:laughing:

Hoax or no hoax, I've long-known that you can get fined for failing to clear a vehicle properly of snow (this current spell notwithstanding). It's a no-brainer - downright dangerous to be scooting along with snow flying off your vehicle into anything (usually) behind.

There's a car in my street with a massive great wonky chunk on its roof (think seat cushion for a large chair) and bear in mind it's been left for several days to turn to ice, fail to clear it and... well you get the picture.

FAO

Merry Christmas Mrplenty

Careful now, one might think you might be an expert in Computer Security :anitongue:

Talking of which, our local Police kindly forwarded the email on about PCS charging £315 for calling to collect your parcel. A 2005 part myth that was killed off in court in 2006........

I replied to them asking if they had anyone who did IT Security in Bedfordshire Police or at least someone who read security reports (or even knew how to Google "Urban Myths")

Its amazing what having a German car does to your consideration and thoughtfulness, isn't it! :sad::laughing::o

Picking on the Germans again B):P . FYI, as of 03.12.2010 it is law to have snow/winter tyres on your car when driving Germany (during the winter period). Failing to do so will cost 40 euros, causing an obstruction because of not having winter tyres will cost you 80 euros and 1 endorsment.

Its amazing what having a German car does to your consideration and thoughtfulness, isn't it! :sad::laughing::o

Picking on the Germans again B):P . FYI, as of 03.12.2010 it is law to have snow/winter tyres on your car when driving Germany (during the winter period). Failing to do so will cost 40 euros, causing an obstruction because of not having winter tyres will cost you 80 euros and 1 endorsment.

In Austria, too :---

Winter tyres are mandatory in Austria. The law states that passenger cars with a permissible maximum weight of up to 3.5 tonnes may be operated only between 1 November and 15 April in winter conditions such as snow, slush or ice if winter tyres have been installed on all wheels. All-season tyres are also considered winter tyres if they have the "M + S" mark.

As an alternative to winter tyres, snow chains may be used on at least two driving wheels, however, these may only be used in case the road is covered by a complete or scarcely broken snow cover or sheet of ice. Failure to comply with the law results in a fine up to 5,000 Euros and the vehicle could be impounded. Insurance is deemed void if a vehicle which is involved in an accident between November 1 and April 15 is not fitted with winter tyres.

Maybe it's time for such legislation in the UK, now that global warming is on the way and our weather is likely to become much more unsettled. A set of narrow steel rims and chunky tyres will be a small price to pay if it helps to alleviate the total chaos that we get every time there's half an inch of snow.

Edited by Pharisee

If you do fit winter tyres, bear in mind that you may invalidate your insurance or you may be subject to increased premiums, as some companies regard it as a performance enhancement. According to the BBC, anyway!

i suppose thats true, in as much as a car without them often won't perform at all! Our all wheel drive scoobie was a godsend, and because it looks like a normal car, someone followed us onto a 18 inches of virgin snow in a car park last week, clearly thinking "If they can do it, so can I!" My how we laughed! :anibad:

:P

FAO

Merry Christmas Mrplenty

I would like to think that this directive came from from a serving member of our plod.

I say this as I understand that at any one time 1 in 7 coppers are off 'sick'

not to mention those who have taken early retirement on the grounds of 'post traumatic stress' [why they were employed in the first place if they are not up to the job is beyond me]

or are relieved from their post on full pay whilst a complaint is investigated.

In my experience most cops I have dealt with have no idea of what the real world is all about. I have never had my collar felt [or any reason to have so] but have no confidence in any of them.

Why don't they start catching real trouble makers such as the drug pushers that are active in just about every town in Britain ?

Leave everyone else alone

Humbug Humbug

:ph34r::D;):D

If you do fit winter tyres, bear in mind that you may invalidate your insurance or you may be subject to increased premiums, as some companies regard it as a performance enhancement. According to the BBC, anyway!

i suppose thats true, in as much as a car without them often won't perform at all! Our all wheel drive scoobie was a godsend, and because it looks like a normal car, someone followed us onto a 18 inches of virgin snow in a car park last week, clearly thinking "If they can do it, so can I!" My how we laughed! :P

On the subject of Winter tyres, I had them fitted to my van 3 weeks ago [i say smugly]

I have driven around on the snow and ice quite happily in the knowlege that that they out perform even 4 X 4 vehicles [with standard tyres]

If you go to the Alps in the Winter the only 4X4 vehicles you see are British reg. The locals drive normal cars with Snow tyres fitted.

The tyres - £20 each second hand [half tread] -more than paid for given that I was able to work every day in the bad weather we had in Surrey.

:P

FAO

Merry Christmas Mrplenty

I would like to think that this directive came from from a serving member of our plod.

not to mention those who have taken early retirement on the grounds of 'post traumatic stress' [why they were employed in the first place if they are not up to the job is beyond me]

In my experience most cops I have dealt with have no idea of what the real world is all about. I have never had my collar felt [or any reason to have so] but have no confidence in any of them.

Why don't they start catching real trouble makers such as the drug pushers that are active in just about every town in Britain ?

Humbug Humbug

:ph34r::D;):D

You'll have to forgive me a quick rant back. Sometimes counting to ten just doesn't cut it.

The following top tips by the way are brought to you by someone who has just got home after a freezing cold 12 hour night duty to find that his wife has been called into work to go to central London. There, she will no doubt spend the next 16 hours being jostled, abused and spat at. Fortunately she's quite good at dodging missiles. Given that though, you'll probably understand why I'm a wee bit tetchy after reading the above;

Tip number 1) Always read the posts between the OP and the one you are about to write. There was no directive. We kind of established that a few days ago.

2) Don't believe everything you read in the papers. (To be honest I thought this was common knowledge. Clearly not for some). There you go. Enlighten yourself.

3) If you're going to cast aspersions, always be ready to back them up with facts. i.e. can you tell everyone how many police officers have actually been medically retired due to post traumatic stress disorder?

4) Police officers see more of the real world - as you put it - in a month, than most people do in a lifetime. The 'real world' bit of your post actually made me laugh out loud, so well done you.

Merry Christmas by the way. I assume like me you'll be working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day. I don't complain too much though - I get paid for it after all and strangely enough - despite people like you - I'm still quite proud of what I do.

Constructive criticism I can take, but what was the point of your post? What relevance did it have to the OP other than to use it as an excuse to have a dig. It was established a week ago that the advice was an urban myth.

Rant over. I'm sure you'll take my tips on the chin and we can meet one day for a drink. Oh, I take that back. Because of what I do, I'm subject to random drink and drug testing. As I can be called into work at any time, the risk of being over the limit is too great. It's easier not to drink at all. Hey ho. Just one the many restrictions on my private life I accept as part of the job. I expect you have lots of restrictions placed on your private life as well............

PS - Still rather peeved though that you have no confidence in my ability, given that we've never met. Nevermind. On better days I would just ignore this rubbish.

I like Christmas.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

:D

FAO

Merry Christmas Mrplenty

Humbug Humbug

;):D:laughing::laughing:

You'll have to forgive me a quick rant back. Sometimes counting to ten just doesn't cut it.

The following top tips by the way are brought to you by someone who has just got home after a freezing cold 12 hour night duty to find that his wife has been called into work to go to central London. There, she will no doubt spend the next 16 hours being jostled, abused and spat at. Fortunately she's quite good at dodging missiles. Given that though, you'll probably understand why I'm a wee bit tetchy after reading the above;

Tip number 1) Always read the posts between the OP and the one you are about to write. There was no directive. We kind of established that a few days ago.

2) Don't believe everything you read in the papers. (To be honest I thought this was common knowledge. Clearly not for some). There you go. Enlighten yourself.

3) If you're going to cast aspersions, always be ready to back them up with facts. i.e. can you tell everyone how many police officers have actually been medically retired due to post traumatic stress disorder?

4) Police officers see more of the real world - as you put it - in a month, than most people do in a lifetime. The 'real world' bit of your post actually made me laugh out loud, so well done you.

Merry Christmas by the way. I assume like me you'll be working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day. I don't complain too much though - I get paid for it after all and strangely enough - despite people like you - I'm still quite proud of what I do.

Constructive criticism I can take, but what was the point of your post? What relevance did it have to the OP other than to use it as an excuse to have a dig. It was established a week ago that the advice was an urban myth.

Rant over. I'm sure you'll take my tips on the chin and we can meet one day for a drink. Oh, I take that back. Because of what I do, I'm subject to random drink and drug testing. As I can be called into work at any time, the risk of being over the limit is too great. It's easier not to drink at all. Hey ho. Just one the many restrictions on my private life I accept as part of the job. I expect you have lots of restrictions placed on your private life as well............

PS - Still rather peeved though that you have no confidence in my ability, given that we've never met. Nevermind. On better days I would just ignore this rubbish.

I like Christmas.

Aghhh

I have just realised you are a traffic warden :P

Personally i dont think it should be an urban myth, and can see it coming...

Snow or winter tyres have been about for years but seem to have fallen out of fashion mainly because it never snows around here, if you dont count the last couple of years :ph34r:

Edited by burtsbodgers

:ph34r:

FAO

Merry Christmas Mrplenty

Humbug Humbug

:D;):D:laughing:

I like Christmas.

Aghhh

Good guess, but wrong. :laughing:

It's easy to brush off, and if you have a huge car, stand on a wheel and hold onto the inside of the door, or roof rails.

*optimism. Don't ya love it.

At some point you have to balance the risk to yourself balanced on a wheel, holding on with one hand and sweeping snow with the other against the minimal risk of the snow causing an issue if it comes off whilst you're driving.

I too have counted to 10, and I too just can't help responding.

This comment in particular is ignorant, cruel and mindless. Before today, I respected your thoughts, and read your posts with interest. No more.

Nick - a tip of my hat for your hugely dignified reply.

Aghhh

I didn’t read that post and see traffic warden.... or were you just joking?

Anyway, I was in Costco the other day with a trolley full of 21 cases of water and as hard as I tried I just couldn’t pull it!

Various men passed with comments like:

Are you struggling?

You look like you need help

You should try getting another trolley .......... etc

The only person to help was an on-duty copper nipping in for a quick shop.

He insisted also I jump on the trolley too, ....... as he pulled me to checkout!

Hope he is this nice when he pulls me over for speeding though?