How do you do it?

debandrobin

How do you prepare for an adventure? We have tried printing and planning a route and we have tried just grabbing the ol' GPSr and running out the door. Both methods have proven to be unsatisfactory. How do you plan for a day of fun? We bought a Magellan GC so we could be paperless but find we are still printing the face sheet and a zoomed in map. Perhaps our noobieness is making this more difficult than it truly is. Any advice? TIA

How do you prepare for an adventure? We have tried printing and planning a route and we have tried just grabbing the ol' GPSr and running out the door. Both methods have proven to be unsatisfactory. How do you plan for a day of fun? We bought a Magellan GC so we could be paperless but find we are still printing the face sheet and a zoomed in map. Perhaps our noobieness is making this more difficult than it truly is. Any advice? TIA

I have the GC too, used to have a Bushnell with topo maps, which I miss having. Printing out a map is not a bad idea at all. I often carry a map of the area or at least the trails I am going on and a compass.

I have some cache trips planned out, just waiting for a weekend when I have time (with the holidays coming thats not likely). Most times I just sit down and try to pick an area and go. I too find that often no good, as it is a little too spontaneous. I end up often unprepared. I like having something in the middle, at least a bit of an upfront plan.

It would be helpful to know what you found unsatisfactory about each method.

We're definitely fans of planning ahead. We enjoy looking at maps and learning about new places so the planning process just adds to the fun. Also, we're more interested in certain kinds of adventures (parks, walks/hikes, interesting history, etc) than just being able to find a cache that is close to wherever we are. We usually set up bookmarks to highlight caches of interest. We print out the bookmark and usually only print a cache page if we want the details handy (e.g. for an EarthCache). If we're going to an area and are not sure exactly where we'll be we'll supplement the bookmark with a broader PQ of the area to give us more options.

Good luck!

Depends on who I'm with.

When I go with my mom I cut and past the cache pages into a word document and e-mail them to her so she can see them (she's not registered on this site nor does she want to learn how to navigate it). She will usually print the pages for her own reference and I'll jot notes on them as we work through the caches.

When I do a long road trip I'll print the pages of the caches I want to find and have put into my GPS. I don't just put whole PQs in my GPS I hand pick which caches I actually want to look for. Then I'll toss them into a binder and off I go. Jotting notes on there. Sometimes it's hit and miss for cell phone reception and that's my paperless option with the application on my phone.

When I'm on my own I usually load up my GPS with caches I find interesting and then look up the information on my phone application as I get there (as I'm usually where there's phone reception).

When I'm with my friend he currently uses his phone to find geocaches so I print nothing and we fly by the seat of our pants to the next one that amuses us.

If we just want to grab one down the street, we might not do anything but plug in coords.

If we are doing several in an area, we plan a bit. I just got my paperless Oregon, and haven't figured out how to paste in pocket queries, but I loaded up by hand a few that I want to go to. I get all the hints and info and 10 past logs there. I have topo maps and trail maps loaded on my gps now, so I will need less of the maps, but they are tiny!

If I am going to a large park where I might get lost or confused, I will definitely print out a trail map with all the caches on it, and label the caches to figure out which to do first. In a few weeks I am going to a 6000 acre park with dozens of caches and will definitely have some printed maps with me!

Before paperless my biggest problems if we didn't print the cache material was not knowing enough about the cache, size, hints, past logs of an MIA cache, etc. If I didn't use a map, we got disoriented using my mom's GC because it had so few details on it. Now I have my Topos and Trails on my Oregon, should be easier.

We're definitely fans of planning ahead. We enjoy looking at maps and learning about new places so the planning process just adds to the fun. Also, we're more interested in certain kinds of adventures (parks, walks/hikes, interesting history, etc) than just being able to find a cache that is close to wherever we are. We usually set up bookmarks to highlight caches of interest. We print out the bookmark and usually only print a cache page if we want the details handy (e.g. for an EarthCache). If we're going to an area and are not sure exactly where we'll be we'll supplement the bookmark with a broader PQ of the area to give us more options.

Good luck!

This is similar to our method, too. We enjoy the pre-planning and looking at maps of the area so that we both know where we are in relation to trails, roads, and natural barriers like rivers or swamps.

It took me a little bit of research to figure out, but I discovered a way to go onto Google Earth and lay out a path that follows the trails to each cache. You can make as many paths as you want, and can add waypoints like parking lots, kiosks, and shelters. Then you can export the data (using a free downloadable tool to convert the Google Earth .kml file to a .gpx) back to Mapsource and load that data on the GPSr.

That way, we can see our "projected" path on the GPSr. It makes finding the correct trail and turns much easier. We can also estimate our hiking distance pretty accurately this way, except for the unplanned off-trail excursions to see that really big tree or unusual outcropping of beautiful flowers along the way. :laughing:

For us, the pre-planning adds a lot to the fun when we are in the field. We will sometimes go out of our way to check out an interesting feature that we saw on Google Earth that we would not have encountered otherwise if we had just hit the trails "cold".

Edited by Stargazer22

Even going paperless, it is very handy to have a printed map of the caches you're most interested in.

Sometimes I use BOOKMARKS, PQs and GSAK.

Let's say I go geocaching with my wife, who likes regular traditional caches that are an easy shorter walk. I PREVIEW a PQ for this, then explore the area with GoogleMaps. I might look over the recent logs to see any problems with the caches or their location (wet contents, muddy area, heavy bushwacking, etc). A short time later, I've decided on the best choices for our limited time.

So, I might accept the PQ as is, or BOOKMARK the best caches. Now, I RUN my first PQ, either the original, or the one created from the BOOKMARKS. I then send this to GSAK, in a database of its own.

OK. So those caches are our main objective. But we MIGHT want to hit others that are in the general area or along the trails on the way to our target caches. So, I RUN a second PQ with all the rest that we MIGHT do if we feel like it. I send this to GSAK, in a second database.

Now, I send the first database to my GPSr, using the GEOCACHE SYMBOL for every cache.

Next, I send the second database to my GPSr, using ANOTHER SYMBOL for these caches.

Finally, I send both databases to my PDA via CACHEMATE.

Out in the field, I can see at a glance which are our TARGET geocaches (Geocache Symbol) and which are convenient additionals (any symbol except Geocache Symbol).

Sounds complicated, but it is really pretty easy.

Works for me.

I usually pick one or more areas where there is a concentration of caches and then plan from there. I have found that far and away the most important things to consider are how to get there and where to park. Earlier in my (brief) caching career I spent way too much time driving around trying to figure out where to park and how to get there. Now I make a point of looking for that information in the cache description and/or looking for clues on sat maps. I have a paperless GPSr but usually carry a scrap of paper with the names of the caches I plan to do and a few notes about how to get there and where to park. My car navi system doesn't take coords so I usually jot down address or intersection info for the parking so that I can program the navi.

Edited by Geo Peeps

My OCD tendencies make me a big planner. Occaisainally I'll freecache, but I've found a majority of the caches near me that lend themselves to no planning. But usually I use the map or PQ and Google Earth to plan a route. If I have time I preview logs/descirptions. I write down the list of caches (I have a friend whop prints up the GSAK data in route order) and I'm on my way.

Now that I'm trying to fill in calendar days for the 366 day challenge I usually just load up my GPS on Monday and pick a cache before leaving work to pick up.

As others have said, sometimes I do it one way, and sometimes I do it another.

Usually, I just look for a nearby unfound cache, but usually, I'm not planning for "a day of fun"; I'm just planning for a short geocaching break before I go back to whatever it was I was doing before.

Other times, I plan ahead. If I have time, I solve puzzles so I can pick up the finals while I'm nearby. If I'm caching with a group, I choose caches that are appropriate for the group, plan a route, and load the caches into the GPS device(s). Sometimes choosing caches for the group is pretty mindless (e.g., everything along the trail we're taking). Sometimes it's more selective (e.g., size ≥ small, difficulty ≤ 2, terrain ≤ 3, and nothing with a string of DNFs). Sometimes it's a single cache (e.g., a puzzle multi-cache that is known to take a a few hours). It depends on the group and the occasion.

Nothing says you have to do it the same way every time. But it may take some experimentation to figure out what ways work best for you.

Edited by niraD

Good luck!

Let's see. Just grabbing and running out the door lends itself to a bit of anticipation but leads to disappointment when we wind up driving all over to find out the cache is problematic. For example, the maps on the GC just show roads when you zoom out far enough. Not enough info even with the cache description. I guess I'm trying to say it's frustrating just driving around following an arrow with minimal info. This is driving around a rural area with mostly cemetery caches. For urban caches it's pretty much the same. We prefer to do businesses at a time they're not open. As for preplanning, it seems to make buying a paperless GPSr kind of silly. If I had realized that I would still be printing, I would have have bought the CSx60 and gotten turn by turn directions. I'm not sure I've been clear but it seems kind of difficult to explain.

Let's see. Just grabbing and running out the door lends itself to a bit of anticipation but leads to disappointment when we wind up driving all over to find out the cache is problematic. For example, the maps on the GC just show roads when you zoom out far enough. Not enough info even with the cache description. I guess I'm trying to say it's frustrating just driving around following an arrow with minimal info. This is driving around a rural area with mostly cemetery caches. For urban caches it's pretty much the same. We prefer to do businesses at a time they're not open. As for preplanning, it seems to make buying a paperless GPSr kind of silly. If I had realized that I would still be printing, I would have have bought the CSx60 and gotten turn by turn directions. I'm not sure I've been clear but it seems kind of difficult to explain.

Did you get the maps that you can put on your GPS?

I find those help.

I plan, but I also do a data dump.

I use PQ's, GASK and filters.

I spend lots of time building my filters but once they are set I just upload my PQ's, apply the filters and away I go.

I do the same. It took me a while but I figured out how to sort out the caches where the last log was a dnf. I pull that list up in a map and pick from there.

If I'm hitting a few while out and about I use my smartphone. I'm rarely anywhere there is no signal when doing that.

I load up my GPS with a fresh PQ every week when I'm out and about I check my GPS to see what's around.

If I'm going away I just run the PQ for my destination and do the same thing.

This is pretty close to what we do as well.

The exception is sometimes we do go out with a specific cache in mind or specific area we want to canvas.

Did you get the maps that you can put on your GPS?

I find those help.

I don't think that is an option for the Magellan GC.

You're a premium member so use the PQ. I use GSAK and it has a way to export the caches to Google Maps. This allows me to see roads, and a sat view. That helps plan an efficient route. No matter how hard you try you will end up in the wrong parking lot, etc. The Paperless GPS'r allows you to have the full description, hint and past 5 logs which saves a lot of printing. Like I said I just write down the cache name so I know the order of my route, and let my turn by turn directions do the rest.

It sounds like not having turn by turn directions and not knowing the area is really hindering you. Most the responses have been more about the planning aspect and less about the tech you have (which seems like the biggest issue)/

You're a premium member so use the PQ. I use GSAK and it has a way to export the caches to Google Maps. This allows me to see roads, and a sat view. That helps plan an efficient route. No matter how hard you try you will end up in the wrong parking lot, etc. The Paperless GPS'r allows you to have the full description, hint and past 5 logs which saves a lot of printing. Like I said I just write down the cache name so I know the order of my route, and let my turn by turn directions do the rest.

It sounds like not having turn by turn directions and not knowing the area is really hindering you. Most the responses have been more about the planning aspect and less about the tech you have (which seems like the biggest issue)/

I agree. I think our newness at using a hiking GPS in general is part of the problem. I want to use GSAK but I am leery since I can't get VantagePoint to do much. Would you steer me to a site with clear instructions for GSAK? Maybe we just need more practice, and a good backpack.

Having just started caching, I don't have a stand-alone GPS unit but have been having great success with my iPhone 4. The Geocaching app for the iPhone lends itself naturally to paperless, "freestyle" caching, I find.

But then, I haven't exhausted all the local caches yet so I'm still hunting in areas I'm very familiar with, stopping to grab a couple here and there as I go about my daily business. A quick glance at the map and I have a general idea where most of them are, I'll make a mental note to get this one on my way home from work one day or that one next time I'm in such-and-such area, etc.

When I do find myself in an area that I'm less familiar with, the app works great for spur of the moment, "Wonder what's around here?" kind of caching.

I suppose once I've run through all the local stuff I'll get into planning some more extensive expeditions to unfamiliar turf, but for now freestyling is working great for me :laughing:

I appreciate all the ideas and techniques people have shared. I think several things will help us the most. First, give up the idea of being totally paperless but realize that there will be fewer pages. Second, gain more experience using our GPSr . Third, relax a little and enjoy the experience. I tend to be a little anal about preparation.

All that being said, please keep posting your methods. Having a method used by a more experienced person is a place to start and being able to modify it to suit our needs should prove helpful.

Thanks again and keep the ideas flowing.

Minor preperation on our part. We pick an area and load in everything in the general area. I haven't tried the PQ's yet to see how that'll help me so currently I load in everything in the area we want to go.

For us it's basically get to the area, and go from there, if we are tired after 2 and want to go home, we do that, but if we want to keep going they are completely available to us.

We also have my iPhone 4 so if we weren't planning to geocache and are out doing something we can check to see if there are any in the area and go after them using the phone.