PBS Broadcast - Brain Fitness / Peak Performance

TotemLake

Last July, Lennlee Keep, a producer for PBS had been interviewing several geocachers for an upcoming show on Brain Fitness. Unfortunately, i didn't receive notice of the initial broadcast. It happened last night.

The next replay for your recorders, will be December 10 at 1AM and is called Brain Fitness/Peak Performance and is hosted by Peter Coyote. It will be broadast both in regular and HD format.

Geocaching received a big 12-15 minute segment and how it related to Brain Fitness. the filming included two local events happening at the time, Geowoodstock VIII and the Going Ape and some prominent cachers.

The Geocaching featurette is towards the end of the 90 minute program.

Greg is too modest to mention he is prominently featured in this PBS documentary. :)

The show, Brain Fitness: Peak Performance, produced by Sante Fe Productions, has several airings scheduled on local PBS stations over the next couple weeks (my TiVO listed about a dozen). In addition to TotemLake, other geocachers featured include Jeremy and Bryan, W7WT, Timobear, MonkeyBrad, and hydnsek, plus cameo shots of several other cachers. WSGA's Going APE event got some good coverage, as well as GeoWoodstock.

For the other cachers interviewed but not featured, note that there is a second, geocaching-specific documentary in production, so stay tuned!

If you missed the earlier announcements about this project in April and June, here's what I posted:

Groundspeak has asked me to recommend geocachers to interview for two television segments: a stand-alone geocaching feature for PBS, and a geocaching segment within the "Brain Fitness Frontiers" show.

Specifically, they're looking for cachers who fit one of these profiles:

• Older (60+ is ideal)
  • Achieved a life change through geocaching (lost weight, made friends, overcame fear of technology, etc)
  • Attending GeoWoodstock VIII

Please email me to recommend yourself or someone else. Include their caching name, real name, email, and which category they fit. Thanks!!

The production company will also be filming at GeoWoodstock and Groundspeak's Lost & Found event, so watch for them!

I just heard back from the TV producer, and they want to interview everyone who was recommended! Santa Fe Productions (Lennlee Keep) will be here the week of GeoWoodstock (June 30-July 4) to film, and will be setting up the interviews soon.

They are filming for two TV shows, both for national broadcast on PBS:

- a geocaching segment for "Brain Fitness: Peak Performance," which will air December 2010.

- a standalone show just about geocaching. Date TBD.

Good luck with the interviews, and congrats on your future 15 minutes of fame. Let us know what happens!

Edited by hydnsek

Greg is too modest to mention he is prominently featured in this PBS documentary. :laughing:

The show, Brain Fitness: Peak Performance, produced by Sante Fe Productions, has several airings scheduled on local PBS stations over the next couple weeks (my TiVO listed about a dozen).

So when is the next airing that is at a sensible time? :laughing:

Check your local PBS station listings. It will depend on which station and where you are. Both Seattle-area stations are airing it at various times.

The biggest problem is trying to determine which episode is a new one of a multi-part series and which one is a repeat. I just checked the listings on Comcast and it isn't indicating repeats, but I'll put my money on the unsensible times as the repeats. :laughing: If the episode opens with the Simultaneous Interpreter, then you have the correct episode.

If nothing else, I have the DVD sent to me by Lennlee. I can be sure to bring it to the Holiday event (at the latest) and show the segment.

As long as I'm looking at this DVD again, I'm also going to revise how big the segment is. A shy 7 minutes.

Edited by TotemLake

I am home with a new aortic valve. The following is from our daughter Susan.

"Good evening and welcome back home!

I have a great story about your premiere. Gina, who had surgery on Wednesday, woke up in the middle of the night last night, very groggy from pills. She wasn't sure if she was hallucinating or if it really was Ma and Pa Falley on the TV set in her bedroom. She said Mom was talking about geocaching, but she doesn't really remember content. Gina called me this afternoon and told me this and I told her the drugs weren't making her totally goofy - you did do a TV program about geocashing. I will try to remember to record the session on my DVR so we have a copy for posterity.

I will have to check that out this friday. Did you all by chance hear the geocaching segment on OPB's "Think Out Loud" some months back?

It was broadcast on July 2?

July 2nd I was at the Annette Lake Trailhead most of the day then down to the meet and greet later that afternoon. Had I known about it, I would have at least made the trekkers aware so they could listen for it when they got off the trail.

I have a great story about your premiere. Gina, who had surgery on Wednesday, woke up in the middle of the night last night, very groggy from pills. She wasn't sure if she was hallucinating or if it really was Ma and Pa Falley on the TV set in her bedroom. She said Mom was talking about geocaching, but she doesn't really remember content. Gina called me this afternoon and told me this and I told her the drugs weren't making her totally goofy - you did do a TV program about geocashing. I will try to remember to record the session on my DVR so we have a copy for posterity.

Hey Dick, Glad to hear you're doing so well after surgery.It was a true pleasure getting to meet you and your lovely wife that afternoon of the interview.

Glad your home and doing well. You were in my thoughts and prayer. Hope to see you in the logs soon.

I will have to check that out this friday. Did you all by chance hear the geocaching segment on OPB's "Think Out Loud" some months back?

It was broadcast on July 2?

July 2nd I was at the Annette Lake Trailhead most of the day then down to the meet and greet later that afternoon. Had I known about it, I would have at least made the trekkers aware so they could listen for it when they got off the trail.

Yeah, I only found out about it afterwords, but it was a pretty decent broadcast. I actually think that the cache they placed is no longer active, though.

Last July, Lennlee Keep, a producer for PBS had been interviewing several geocachers for an upcoming show on Brain Fitness. Unfortunately, i didn't receive notice of the initial broadcast. It happened last night.

The next replay for your recorders, will be December 10 at 1AM and is called Brain Fitness/Peak Performance and is hosted by Peter Coyote. It will be broadast both in regular and HD format.

Geocaching received a big 12-15 minute segment and how it related to Brain Fitness. the filming included two local events happening at the time, Geowoodstock VIII and the Going Ape and some prominent cachers.

The Geocaching featurette is towards the end of the 90 minute program.

Don't forget to set your recorders