Which FEATURES should I opt for when shopping for a GPS?

I'm shopping for my very 1st GPS machine.

I am planning to volunteer at my local elementary school as a GOTO-PERSON to inspire the kids to start a hobby (Geocaching.) What FEATURES in a GPS should work best for both myself while Solo-Geocaching as well as modeling Geocaching for younger kids?

I have already cached a few local caches with friends and I'M HOOKED! %Which manufacturer GPS (Garmin, Tom-Tom, or other) offers more valuable features, or with the recent flood of technologies using ipod / ipad units, is this a more valuable option?

I am planning to volunteer at my local elementary school as a GOTO-PERSON to inspire the kids to start a hobby (Geocaching.) What FEATURES in a GPS should work best for both myself while Solo-Geocaching as well as modeling Geocaching for younger kids?

I have already cached a few local caches with friends and I'M HOOKED! %Which manufacturer GPS (Garmin, Tom-Tom, or other) offers more valuable features, or with the recent flood of technologies using ipod / ipad units, is this a more valuable option?

For geocaching, you probably want a hiking GPS (Garmin/Delorme/Magellan/Lowrance) instead of a car GPS (Tomtom, Garmin Nuvi). Using a smartphone is generally a good start if you already happen to have one that has a GPS, but eventually you'll probably want a dedicated hiking GPS which will be a lot more rugged and accurate then a phone.

Features that are really good for geocaching are

- 3 axis compass

- paperless caching

- topo maps

- WAAS capable receiver

All of the higher end GPS models from all the manufacturers have the above, so as to which one you want you should go into a store that has them on display and play around with them.

Edited by ocm_ott

I started off with a Garmin eTrex Legend hcx (I think hcx....the loaded version, I'm drawing a blank, sorry). It worked just fine for me, other than not supporting paperless caching. It's also got a VERY basic basemap.

One thing to consider when you go to purchase is that you'll need to get a map if you want to do turn by turn directions. The basemap on my Oregon 400t looks like it would be a perfectly operational map, but for whatever reason, the powers that be decided that while I can see topographical features and roadways, the unit will not recognize roads, so any time I try to say "I want to go to point B from point A", it'll give me a straight line instead of following roads. *sigh* So, there's a chunk of money (around $100, I think??) thrown into the cost. Well worth it for me though, as I use the GPSr for work as well as geocaching.

I love my Garmins...I can swap the micro SD card with mapping on it from one unit to the other (both support SD cards, which I find INVALUABLE) without a hiccup.

In a nutshell, (sorry the nutshell is so big),

I'd look for expandable memory, preferably a micro SD card (or whatever the other brands take)...

I like the electronic compass on my Oregon...it'll tell me what direction I'm facing, regardless of if I'm moving.

Paperless caching can be WONDERFUL...especially since I tend to update my information in my netbook on all the caches in whatever area I plan to hunt...and then load them into the Oregon before I leave. This gives me the most up-to-date information on each cache...if any are MIA, updated coordinates, etc.

When you start to shop, consider refurbished units. Both of mine are refurbished, work just fine (other than the glitches many other owners of identical units seem to have), and saved me a LOT of money...which I was able to use elsewhere.

Also, check for rugged units...it's so important!! I've dropped and abused mine (unintentionally) many times...I was in a canoe that was tipped over (darned smart alecky kids) and the Oregon survived the trip into the river clipped to a belt loop...

Also check for how well you can see the screen...the Oregon is great, but in the bright light of the great outdoors, it's hard to see the screen. :laughing:

I would recommend getting a basic and inexpensive unit initially. They are easier to learn and you can upgrade once you become more experienced and decide what your GPS priorities are. It's not unusual for folks to get "HOOKED" and then lose interest in a few months.

I'm not entirely sure how long you've been geocaching, since this might not be your caching account. The only reason I raise that is because you may want to partner with another experienced geocacher if you want to be the go-to person at your local school, since your question seems to indicate you don't have much experience with handheld GPSr units.

But to answer your question, for a unit whose primary use is geocaching. I'd put paperless caching feature first above all else. You can add maps, you can get direction when you're moving with clear view of the sky (or with a magnetic compass), but you can't add paperless info to a unit without that capability.

For paperless caching to work, you need a premium account. Most paperless units come with a 30 day free trial of premium membership.

Touchscreen units are easier to use in my opinion. None of that "what does the top left button do in this mode?" stuff. Of course, figuring that out is not exactly rocket science, and just takes some practice, and can be faster.

I think you should either have a paperless caching handheld whatever brand stand-alone gps) that offers 24k equivalent maps, and/or a smart phone that offers the equivalent. I also (personal preference) think that a 3 axis compass is well worth the added cost. It allows you to stand still and turn around and have the compass arrow keep pointing at the target. Without, it the compass page only works when walking. You end up walking around, and around.......

Also, personally, I think that 24k maps or aerial photos are REALLY useful for finding caches. Especially the 24k maps. You can see which roads will lead you to the caches. Good battery life is also useful for me with my hiking, but YMMV.

I like caching with paperless features, street navigation, topo, and field notes. So the Colorado and 62s have worked out for me. But with that said I found my first thousand caches with a very basic second hand magellan unit that I complemented with a pda for the paperless features. And I sometimes use a non-paperless 60csx gpsr with geosphere on the iphone that gives me all that I need (and then some).

In short, it depends on what you want to carry. If you already have a pda/smartphone/ipod touch you could use that for paperless caching. If you don't plan to be doing much hiking than topo maps may not be needed. And if you want everything in one unit, then you are looking at the higher end of things.

In any event I would be looking for a unit with a high sensitive receiver, which can get and hold signals under a variety of conditions.