A reviewer event

Louise_Gerhard

Maybe this is going to be a big stone in the bush. But I always like to face controversial topics and to see how people react. So here we go.

I always wanted to know more about the tools the reviewer uses and the process they follow behind the scenes. I am a curious person and I want to know what happens behind the scene and how things work. Maybe it is the engineer inside of me that wants to take things apart to see how it ticks. But in RSA this is a secret guarded by the reviewers. By accident I notice the following event educating the cachers in the reviewer process and the tools they use.

Reviewer Event

I think this is a brilliant idea and it could help the geocaching community in understanding what the reviewer is busy with and why for example certain caches take so long to get publish. Sometimes it is the cacher that is trying to get the cache published and that could push boundaries without realising it.

Maybe this is the type of event where the newbie can meet the reviewer and try to understand the difficulties the reviewer faces and how we can assist him. This is the type of event where the newbies and the older hands can gain a mutual understanding of the difficulties the reviewer have. A platform where the questions can be raised. Also the type of event where the do and do not can be done by the reviewer. For example we are getting lighters in caches in Pretoria again. This is the platform that can help them. It is so much better than to draft a list of things that must be done in pages and pages of information which no one reads. To hear the words and to discuss it in the South African context will be great and that is something you remember.

Ok, this is open for discussion. I am busy negotiating to join that Alaska event via link to hear what they have to say. I think it is must be quite interested to hear their view points of a different country and to see the tools they use. If you have to comment – do not throw stones; we all live in glass houses and I only am trying to get an open discussion with no rights or no wrongs. Is this a good idea or is this a wild idea for the reviewer to hold an event like this? Gerhard

Wow that's so spooky!

CapeDoc and I just had discussions last week around arranging exactly such an event for the Cape Town cachers sometime in the new year (after the silly season). The idea being that the locals would chip in towards the cost of bringing our reviewer down to the Cape for a weekend and arrange a get-together of local cachers, where the reviewer could give a talk and questions could be asked.

Haven't broached the subject with ROTSIP yet, but as it's now out in the open, I'd be interested to hear what he and the Cape Town cachers think of the idea. I can arrange the same venue we had for the nICE Event Cache and maybe we can twist CnC's arm for another pub quiz at the same time.

Feedback Cape Town?

Haven't broached the subject with ROTSIP yet, but as it's now out in the open, I'd be interested to hear what he and the Cape Town cachers think of the idea. I can arrange the same venue we had for the nICE Event Cache and maybe we can twist CnC's arm for another pub quiz at the same time.

Feedback Cape Town?

Won't help twisting we leave for Kruger Park in the first week of February.

If it is held after Feb. we can possibly oblige!

At least someone else also thought along the same lines. Best of all is that the reviewer can have a free trip to Cape Town to it sounds like a win win strategy for cachers and reviewer. :) Gerhard

I am not so sure that the EC referred to above, is exactly what I had in mind. That one looks very formally laid out and there may be some issues with the reviewers sharing the workings of their tools.

I thought an EC to meet the reviewer face to face could allow informal chats with him, finding out what it's like being a reviewer, hear funny reviewing stories, and perhaps allow us to voice our deep appreciation to the time and work for what he does (and for what previous reviewers have done) for the rest of the community.

Clearly Rotsip is the most important person to discuss this with and I don't really think any further discussion should be done here until is has been discussed with him.

Clearly Rotsip is the most important person to discuss this with and I don't really think any further discussion should be done here until is has been discussed with him.

I've already communicated directly with Rotsip and he indicated he would be happy to meet any group of cachers on an informal basis, but has pointed out that certain information IS confidential. I take that as a go, so I'd like to hear what Cape Town cachers think of the idea.

I'm not a big publisher of caches, so it will obviously influence my opinion, but to be frank I don't really see any benefit from such a discussion... Of course I agree that the reviewers are doing a HUGE (voluntary!) job but the rules and guidelines are pretty clear and I've never had any major problems (and as a result unanswered questions) getting a cache published. Understandably there are some subjective/personal differences in some interpretations of rules (and even intangibles like "quality") and I've experienced from very approachable to somewhat standoffish interactions but always acceptable.

Please give us some examples of burning questions you have, maybe I'm just bathing in a bliss of ignorance. :laughing:

I must say, if you get the opportunity it will be well worthwhile.

At the recent three Pretoria events over the weekend of the CITO we were not only privileged to have our current reviewer ROTSIP but our beloved erstwhile reviewer Fish Eagle and their respective wives join us. The insight gained from chatting to them informally was invaluable. Being able to discuss the do's and don't's of cache planting and hearing the rationale for some of the rules was most insightful. I certainly learned a great deal from the experience. I am sure you would too.