Challenge Caches

tozainamboku

At the minimum I agree Challenge Caches should have their own cache icon (I also still think Night Caches should too, rather than just an Attribute).

That said, the introduction of Statistics and Souvenirs do have the potential to make most Challenge Caches obsolescent.

I guess it comes down to the programing involved. Continent, Country, State, and County challenges? Fizzy (D/T grid), Calendar, Busy Day, Icon, Star thresholds, and # of Finds challenges? Those would all probably be fairly simple to implement.

Jasmer and Delorme? I think MyGeocachingProfile has those so probably a little more work but doable.

What about A to Z challenges within a specific county? I doubt Groundspeak wants to program thousands of Challenges like that. Plus all the other more complicated or obscure challenges. There's a local challenge cache that requires you to have found a certain number of caches with "frog" or some variation thereof in the name (frog, froggy, toad, tadpole, ribbit, etc).

Perhaps the best solution is to implement Souvenirs for the big Challenges and see if the popularity of those caches drops off and they sort of phase themselves out?

to simply replace stats or souvenirs with challenges is not doable. Look at the fizzy. There are puzzles and events deliberately placed to be fizzy grids. I know of a trail where you can get every fizzy grid in a row and never leave pavement. Thus, if one does that trail, you get the fizzy grid. So, that person should get the same souvenir as someone who does say the California fizzy?

Just saying simple geocache statistics based on pure finds with no filtering is no replacement for challenge caches. COs of challenges like County Challenges, Delorme Challenges, Fizzys have to do the work and the ones around here do a good job. Simple statistics are no substitute for diligence of COs of challenge caches, icons or no icons.

Are you sure about the original fizzy because it is date specific. That's what makes it so difficult. Tango501 thought after doing the WA one he could do ours but he doesn't qualify for a lot. I have a lot of holes i hope we can find when we do WA, OR and UT.

no, doing that trail would not qualify you for the california fizzy....but that is my point. The Fizzy challenge in WA is different than the California one, is different than the Utah one...etc etc.

To simply have a souvenir replace a challenge cache would not work in the case of fizzy for one example. Sure, you could go to that one silly trail and accomplish a grid which would show you have completed the fizzy grid in your stats, but it would not qualify you for the California one, or the Washington one....but in theory, it would for the Oregon one, albeit cheaply.

There are puzzles and events deliberately placed to be fizzy grids. I know of a trail where you can get every fizzy grid in a row and never leave pavement.

That sounds like a problem with CO's intentionally mis-rating their caches. I would be quite annoyed if I found a 4/4 that was an LPC.