Logging a bug

RedShoesGirl

Try this link:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/howto.asp

If it is a new cache (and yours), you can just add a log to the cache of "other" and it won't be counted as a find, but you can still follow the instructions to drop off the bug. Make sure you "grabbed" it first so it is in your virtual posession.

If I'm not making sense it is possible I've been up to long.

As for uploading photos, after you upload a photo for a new bug, edit the bug. A dropdown box will appear where you can choose the image to show. If the image isn't coming up right, it happens in some situations. Let me know and I'll set it right.

Jeremy

>> posted March 08, 2002 10:37 PM  

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try this link:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/howto.asp

If it is a new cache (and yours), you can just add a log to the cache of "other" and it won't be counted as a find, but you can still follow the instructions to drop off the bug. Make sure you "grabbed" it first so it is in your virtual posession.

If I'm not making sense it is possible I've been up to long.

As for uploading photos, after you upload a photo for a new bug, edit the bug. A dropdown box will appear where you can choose the image to show. If the image isn't coming up right, it happens in some situations. Let me know and I'll set it right.<<

Up too late, me too. I used the wrong terminology I think.

Ok, I have a new cache with a bug. I want to add that bug to the cache page - can't find a drop down to do that — and add a picture to the bug gallery.

Make more sense? I didn't mean log - just add.

Scenario 1: It's a bug that you are starting:

First you have to activate the bug. It will then be in "your hands" as the owner of the bug. You can then log it into your cache (once its posted to the Geocaching website) by logging a note to the cache page. That's where the drop down will be. You can then delete the note and the bug will still be in the cache.

Once you've got the bug up and running you can upload a suitable picture for the gallery. Then you would edit the bug and on the left hand side of the form about halfway down is a dropdown of which picture you'd like to be the "official" picture of the bug. Choose it and update it.

The bug's picture will automatically show up in the gallery.

Scenario 2: It's a bug that you grabbed from another cache.

First, you have to grab the bug from the other cache. Go to the bug's page and click the "Found it? Log it." link at the top and fill out the form. That will place the bug in your possession. You can then log it into your cache (once its posted to the Geocaching website) by logging a note to the cache page. That's where the drop down will be. You can then delete the note and the bug will still be in the cache.

Unfortunately, only the official bug picture goes in the gallery, and that has to be uploaded and chosen by the bug's owner. You can however upload any pictures you want to any of your entries on the Travel Bug or Cache pages.

Clearer?

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

quote:
Originally posted by creekfreek2:

As in all things, EDUCATION is the answer! I've logged 15 finds but have only the vaguest idea what to do with a Travel Bug! Tell us! Let us know up front, like on the home page so we can't miss it!

icon_confused.gif BUT ITS THERE ... CLEAR AND SIMPLE ... Even the bug tag directs you to the Groundspeak ... you enter the number and bang you're there. From the main page ... click the fourth link from the top "TRACK TRAVEL BUG"... then read the instructions ... presented in Q/A format.

No disrespect intended ....Education is grand ... but you have to use the basics of reading sometimes .... icon_wink.gif

348_1002.gif

quote:
Originally posted by creekfreek2:

As in all things, EDUCATION is the answer! I've logged 15 finds but have only the vaguest idea what to do with a Travel Bug! Tell us! Let us know up front, like on the home page so we can't miss it!

icon_confused.gif BUT ITS THERE ... CLEAR AND SIMPLE ... Even the bug tag directs you to the Groundspeak ... you enter the number and bang you're there. From the main page ... click the fourth link from the top "TRACK TRAVEL BUG"... then read the instructions ... presented in Q/A format.

No disrespect intended ....Education is grand ... but you have to use the basics of reading sometimes .... icon_wink.gif

348_1002.gif

>> BUT ITS THERE ... CLEAR AND SIMPLE ... Even the bug tag directs you to the Groundspeak ... you enter the number and bang you're there. From the main page ... click the fourth link from the top "TRACK TRAVEL BUG"... then read the instructions ... presented in Q/A format.

No disrespect intended ....Education is grand ... but you have to use the basics of reading sometimes ....

<<

And no disrespect to you Hawkeye, but on that first page there is NO instruction on how to first place a bug. There are instructions on what to do if you found one, but since I hadn't found one and only wanted to know how to place the first one, that question/answer did not apply.

the link that leads you to directions on placing one's first bug should be at the top of that tracking page.

But I finally figured it all out albeit with many tries that did not work, but the travel bug is on the cache page and in the cache and ready to rock and roll.

Now, lets see who ambles out into the desert to pick it up!