Cacheports for Travel Bugs

Guest jrhayden

Guest jrhayden

I recently placed a cache near Denver International Airport. Not too close in respect for increased airport security. It is a traditional cache, but also will be used to drop off hitchikers wanting to migrate from Denver. People can view bugs in the cache, and give them a lift to cache sites in other cities or countries by picking up bugs on their way to the airport.

If more 'Cacheports' can be place near airports (respecting security issues), we can have a network to help bugs move longer distances quicker.

I also attach my bugs goal to the bug so it is easier to help it continue to it's final destiny.

My Cacheport can be viewed at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9802.

From there, you can view the DIA Cacheport web page, and also link to the bug tracking page for my bug.

JR

Guest Markwell

I wanted to revisit this topic, because EraSeek and I have been discussing this offline, and have had some good comments between the two of us.

I was worried about the tail wagging the dog in creation of cacheports. I was sure that people would start throwing up lame caches near airports and major intersections of Interstates without much thought as to whether this was a good cache.

Eraseek assured me that this would probably not be the case. He instead believes that people would set up good caches, or at the least (if it is not the greatest of caches) it could be identified as a cacheport, specifically designed to futher along a travel bug's journey.

I'm still leary of setting up caches specifically and exclusively as cache ports, just because I haven't seen enough activity of TBs here in Illinois to warrant such a cache. I do have a great location in a forest preserve about 3 miles from the intersection of two major interstates. But until I see a dramatic increase in the activity and acceptance of TBs in the area, I probably won't set it up.

What does everyone else think?

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 16 November 2001).]

Guest jrhayden

I agree. My Cacheport serves as a regular cache also. All items were purchased new, and make great finds for those early seekers. I wanted to make it worth while to those who give Travel Bugs a lift!

JR

Guest glenn95630

I've been thinking about cacheports and TB journeys. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it and it isn't crystal clear yet, but here goes...

A key question is what do people 'want' from their travel bugs.

My initial thought was the 'stick-in-a-creek' analogy. Remember when we were kids and we'd throw sticks in the creek to see where they would go? At one time I thought travel bugs would be like that, but anytime a bug gets on a plane it messes that concept up. If a bug owner has that vision for their bug, they can put rules in it about modes of travel. I wouldn't be surprised if the most likely route for a bug to get from Chicago to St Paul will be to go through Hawaii. I'm not saying that is good or bad.

I currently think that one of travel bug concepts that a lot of us have is the 'vicarious traveler' concept. A lot of us would like to do more traveling than we currently are able to do, and sending bugs out into the 'wild blue yonder' to collect stories and 'postcards' is a way for us to travel vicariously. If this concept is held by many geocachers I do have a concern with the potential downside to cacheports.

Imagine a time with a cacheport at every major airport. The following could happen. Person A flys from Los Angeles to Denver on business - puts bug in Denver cacheport. Person B grabs bug on way to airport to fly to New York - lands and puts bug in cacheport. Person C grabs bug on way to airport ... and so on. The bug does a lot of traveling but doesn't have many journeys. All the bug 'sees' is airports.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'd like to see a picture of a bug in front of the world's largest six-pack (Wisconsin) or with a free glass of water from Wall Drug (South Dakota).

In summary, I am leary of cacheports. I don't think there should be cacheports until they are needed to solve a lack-of-traveling problem.

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by glenn95630:

I've been thinking about cacheports I don't know about the rest of you but I'd like to see a picture of a bug in front of the world's largest six-pack (Wisconsin) or with a free glass of water from Wall Drug (South Dakota). In summary, I am leary of cacheports. I don't think there should be cacheports until they are needed to solve a lack-of-traveling problem.

I think you've hit the nail on the proverbial head. My wish for Geoffrey, Shaggy and Scooby and the Superfriends would be for them to get out to all those cool places I hear about. In some intangible way, if one of my possessions makes it to another part of the world, it's like I've been there, too.

Guest jrhayden

My vision is that once a Travel Bug as been flown to a cacheport in another state, someone in that state moves it to another regular cache site, and it continues it's journey. The cacheports just help it 'jump' distances more quickly.

I would eventually like to have a bug that goes to another country, but I doubt it would get there by starting in the mountains of Colorado. Once in another country, it would travel much slower, going cache to cache.

I like the idea of cacheports near interstates also. To me, cacheports should also be regular caches, but also for bugs who want to move great distances.

JR

Guest glenn95630

So, if most people do like the idea of bugs going sightseeing, then it follows that a quasi-uwritten-rule-of-thumb-guideline should be that after a bug makes a jump (plane trip), it should do some sightseeing before making another jump.

Guest Markwell

I guess the question then stands: at what time do you have critical mass over TB activity in a given area for it to warrant setting up a cache port.

I'll probably end up setting up the cool cache near the interstate intersection, and mention as an aside that it might be a nice place for Travel Bugs to wander to if they want them to head on the road, but not set it up as a specific cache port.

That way I feel like my dog is wagging his tail. ( rolleyes.gif can this guy beat a metaphor to death or what?)

Guest EraSeek

My thought was that a bug depot would be a unique cache in itself. Here's how I see it, but where there is any real need for it is another thing. The cache would be at a major N-S / E-W intersection, say where two interstates cross each other. The cache box would have a log book in it so you could log a find, your comments, and info about the bug you left or picked up. The cache would have no other items then the bugs and the logbook. You could pick up a bug without leaving anything in return, or leave a bug without taking one if you wished. Say a guy is headed west but at some point the bug should go south. The depot would be a convenient drop point, or pick up point for someone going the right way. The bugs would still hit all other caches as normal.

Airports are another issue. They are perhaps more involved in speed. But I can see times when some bugs, according to their mission statements, could use these airport caches. Overseas travelers, or where speed is important (get me to the Superbowl), or the like, but just for the purpose of skipping all the steps would not be good.

Frankly it was just an idea that I thought might be kinda neat, a bug only depot that is, But I would not want such a thing as a "bypasser".

Guest AlienMonnky

As a business traveler, I love the idea of CachePorts!

It would be great to pick a TB up as I was heading back to the airport and then hiding it somewhere in the Pittsburgh area ... or holding on to it for a couple of weeks and depositing it in a whole different part of the country.

A few weeks back I grabbed to monkeys from the Monkey Cache (not true TBs with the tags and all, but ultra cool nonetheless) and I've been holding on to them until I can drop one in Des Moines and one in Georgia. If the TB owner would allow a little patience ... I can plant them someplace good.

And now thinking this ... I'm going to start a new topic! :-)

I think cacheports are a great idea. Maybe they should be named "Cacheport ......(insert name here)" so they can be located by keyword by those interested, ie "Cacheport Chicago" or "Cacheport come & get me" or something. I would think that anyone who doesn't want thier bug put in a cacheport could simply include this in the directions on the bug's site so it would only travel via normal cache to cache locations. I'm in between about 4 major airports here in NY (Kennedy, LaGuardia, Westchester County, Newark) so if anyone wants to set up a cacheport(s) I would be interested in helping out. Email Me! Crusso IMF16@aol.com