Web based QR reader

power69

there is also one that you can e-mail a photo to. It will get back to you in about 7 min. i can't seem to find it right now though.

Edit: here it is GO@SPARQ.IT Just send an e-mail with a pic of a QR to that address, and they will send you the decoded message back.

Edited by Andronicus

Is this related to geocaching?

its for a puzzle. I know asking for help on puzzles is frowned upon here so i ask this question without identifying the puzzle.

Did we answer your question? There is a large thread on this forum about QR codes. If you want more info, you could try that thread (http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=255320)

The site given by lee worked fine for the puzzle. unfortunately QR is too short to search. thanks for the info.

too short to search
True. But Google is your friend. Add "site:forums.Groundspeak.com" to any search in Google and it will search these forums -- better than the somewhat weak search engine the forum itself has.

Example... www.google.com/search?q=qr+code+site:forums.Groundspeak.com

Note to mod: Please consider this "on topic" only insofar as it helps people find things in these forums.

Edited by lee_rimar

These can be used as part of a puzzle, ...snip...

Like this one Child's Play 4: Okonomiyaki Party

So far I've managed to identify (and decode) two 2D bar code variants (the QR code and the data matrix type). But I haven't been able to find out what the type is with what looks like a capital Q in the bottom left hand corner. Any ideas?

Try using Google Goggle. It will do the QR codes. It may well do all of them. N-igma will do the two you already have. It may do the other as well.

So far I've managed to identify (and decode) two 2D bar code variants (the QR code and the data matrix type). But I haven't been able to find out what the type is with what looks like a capital Q in the bottom left hand corner. Any ideas?

Try using Google Goggle. It will do the QR codes. It may well do all of them. N-igma will do the two you already have. It may do the other as well.

Google Goggles is for a smartphone which I don't have. (Well I do, but I'd get the sack if I loaded unauthorised apps on my work's Blackberry).

I've been doing the puzzle on my PC. The zxing.org website will do the QR and data matrix codes but spits the dummy on the third type. After much sleuthing I identified the third type and downloaded a reader from the company that developed the format.

My next problem was that there were Japanese characters in the decoded text that showed up as square boxes. So I then had to do an install in WinXP to show the Japanese characters.

And then I had to copy and paste the Japanese characters to Google Translate to get the English.

<Whew> I think I'll ask the CO to move the difficulty rating up a notch.

Thanks

Google Goggles is for a smartphone which I don't have. (Well I do, but I'd get the sack if I loaded unauthorised apps on my work's Blackberry).

I've been doing the puzzle on my PC. The zxing.org website will do the QR and data matrix codes but spits the dummy on the third type. After much sleuthing I identified the third type and downloaded a reader from the company that developed the format.

My next problem was that there were Japanese characters in the decoded text that showed up as square boxes. So I then had to do an install in WinXP to show the Japanese characters.

And then I had to copy and paste the Japanese characters to Google Translate to get the English.

<Whew> I think I'll ask the CO to move the difficulty rating up a notch.

Thanks

I haven't tried to solve that one, but I thin that the CO made the codes too small. It is pointlessly making the solution harder. My phone will not de-code those, even if I zoom in because the quality becomes too bad.