Geocaching Etiquette:

BaylorGrad

Hi Folks,

Just a quick question with a difficult answer. :(

So, the other day I grabbed a virtual cache. To claim the cache, I was required to send an e-mail to the CO with information available only at GZ (the name on a sign). According to the cache page, when the CO confirms that my answer is correct, I can log the cache.

So here's the question: How long do I wait for a response before I can log the cache on my own rights? Obviously I'd give the CO a week, at the very, very least. But what about a month? Or never? If the CO doesn't reply, can I technically never claim the cache?

I will say that this isn't my current situation yet--I only e-mailed the CO a couple days ago, but I had one of those "what if" moments, and I was just curious what the etiquette would be.

BaylorGrad

I concurrently log my virtuals and earth caches as I send my answers. I tend to log my caches in the order in which I find them so that my coin has some semblance of accurate mileage. So I post a log on the cache and immediately send off my answers to the cache owner. If they have a problem with my answers they can subsequently delete my log.

Most of us don't wait (everyone that I know). You claim it immediately, email the info, and if the cache owner is still active and the information you provided is insufficient or incorrect, the cache owner can then delete your find. The only potential problem with this might be milestones that get bumped out of order if your find does get deleted.

It seems if you give the CO a reasonable amount of time (a week) or so and log the cache that would be appropraite. As long as you did the cache and have the correct answer and have sent off the e-mail, logging it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Obviously since the page requests that you log it after you answer is e-mailed allowing some time for a response is necessary.

Check the CO's profile to see if they've logged in recently. If their profile says their last activity was months or years ago, don't bother waiting to log the find.

Personally, when I find a Virtual or Earthcache, I send whatever info needs to be send then post my Find log. That way I don't have to worry how often the CO checks their email or how quickly they respond. If I'm missing something from what I sent then I can always rectify the situation or in worst case scenario delete my log.

If the owner explicitly asks for finders to wait for the go ahead, I'll check to make sure they've logged in recently, and if they have, I'll go ahead and wait. If they've been absent for a long time - and with many virtuals, this is the case - I'll go ahead and log my find without waiting.

HMMMMM.....

I think I'm going to log it.

Good advice narcissa.

Hi Folks,

So, the other day I grabbed a virtual cache. To claim the cache, I was required to send an e-mail to the CO with information available only at GZ (the name on a sign). According to the cache page, when the CO confirms that my answer is correct, I can log the cache.

So here's the question: How long do I wait for a response before I can log the cache on my own rights? Obviously I'd give the CO a week, at the very, very least. But what about a month? Or never? If the CO doesn't reply, can I technically never claim the cache?

I will say that this isn't my current situation yet--I only e-mailed the CO a couple days ago, but I had one of those "what if" moments, and I was just curious what the etiquette would be.

BaylorGrad

I usually log the cache and send the email both the next time that I am online. In my online log, I write "email sent" or something like that, just to cover myself. Most CO's reply, but one never did. :(

Keep in mind (he already logged it) that they put that text (which was the right call) on the cache page back in '02 (I wouldn't have waited either).

And if they do contact you telling you that you got it wrong, delete your own log, and relog it when you have the correct info. But from a quick read of that listing, it doesn't look too hard to get it correct.

Hi Folks,

BaylorGrad

If you feel that you have satisfied the requirements you can probably ahead and log it right away. Since virtual caches have not been allowed for quite awhile some of the original owners are not always quick to respond if they respond at all. If there was a problem with your response and the CO questions you on it, they "might" delete your log. I can only think of one or two instances when I've had an owner of a virt respond after I've logged it. If you're unsure you can check out the profile for the CO and probably tell if the CO is still active. If they're not, just log it as a find. If they are, wait a few days then log.

If it appears that they are active, based on looking at the recent logs, I might wait. Otherwise, I'll log the find, along with sending the email (and indicate this in my log), and then they can delete it if they want).

On a side note, depending on what GS does with bringing back virtuals (Planned, but no info yet, according to the website), this may become a little hotter topic when it happens.

I've only had one problem with a virtual or earth cache that required emailing the owner. Owner deleted the note that we left as a placeholder, then deleted our first found it log even though we had provided the information. Finally satisfied him and was able to leave a log that survived deletion (though I went back to edit it a bit). We weren't the only ones who had issues dealing with him. To his credit, he was trying to abide by the earth cache rules, but he was getting pretty fanatic about it.

Edited by hzoi

Who know if the virtual is even maintained anymore. I have yet to see a response to any of the virtuals I have found. I log it and move on. I always send the email but I figure since virtuals are obsolete they might exist only because no one has reported it as need archived.

I bet a lot of virtuals would disapear if people placed NA logs as no one is there to answer. Since some of us still like virtuals they will continue to exist as long as the place still exists.

So if I were you I would just log it and send email not expecting a response.

Part of me wants to log a virtual with the wrong answer once just to see if anyone is paying attention:)

I've only had one problem with a virtual or earth cache that required emailing the owner. Owner deleted the note that we left as a placeholder, then deleted our first found it log even though we had provided the information. Finally satisfied him and was able to leave a log that survived deletion (though I went back to edit it a bit). We weren't the only ones who had issues dealing with him. To his credit, he was trying to abide by the earth cache rules, but he was getting pretty fanatic about it.

Do the Earth cache rules say that you can't log a note?

Personally, I would have just parted with some sort of snide comment and put the cache on ignore. I have no tolerance for people that want to use Geocaching as some sort of power stroking ego trip.

If the owner explicitly asks for finders to wait for the go ahead, I'll check to make sure they've logged in recently, and if they have, I'll go ahead and wait. If they've been absent for a long time - and with many virtuals, this is the case - I'll go ahead and log my find without waiting.

Agreed. I typically follow this procedure.

Who know if the virtual is even maintained anymore. I have yet to see a response to any of the virtuals I have found. I log it and move on. I always send the email but I figure since virtuals are obsolete they might exist only because no one has reported it as need archived.

I bet a lot of virtuals would disapear if people placed NA logs as no one is there to answer. Since some of us still like virtuals they will continue to exist as long as the place still exists.

So if I were you I would just log it and send email not expecting a response.

Part of me wants to log a virtual with the wrong answer once just to see if anyone is paying attention:)

PLEASE! No one should ever post an NA on a virtual. Even where it might be appropriate. I love these old dinosaurs, and want to protect them. One I found the CO has never verified their email address.

That said, I have received several emails from virtual owners, telling me my answers were correct, and thanks for visiting.

I have always logged the find as "I am emailing you the information TFTC" sort of thing. Never had any problems. Man I haven't been to Ellettsville in a long time. They sure changed the roads though town. I drove through last December when my family was traveling to Brown County State Park fo rthe week end. Nice pool at the lodge now. See ya later BG!

HG

Do the Earth cache rules say that you can't log a note?

Personally, I would have just parted with some sort of snide comment and put the cache on ignore. I have no tolerance for people that want to use Geocaching as some sort of power stroking ego trip.

No, they don't. I can only guess why he deleted the notes.

I was very tempted to do both. I wanted the find, it's at Gullfoss, a huge, beautiful waterfall in Iceland, so I took a few minutes to calm down before corresponding with him. I knew if I started a micturation contest with him, he'd just delete our log again out of spite, and I just wanted to log our dadgum find. So at that point it became my mission to win the contest of wills and leave a log that survived.

Edited by hzoi