Laser pen

Al 7365

Some caches are set up with an in situ laser - I suggest doing this rather than requiring cachers to bring along their own.

Even though I have a couple of laser pointers myself (the cats love them), the problem is that some are stronger than others and the normal ones are pretty weak when used outdoors. In my experiments it seems that they only reach about 20 metres - beyond that and the spot is so small and dim that you can hardly see it. I ended up painting a red spot on the "target" instead of using the laser.

The ones that bother air traffic are the super-powerful ones. I wouldn't recommend buying one, but if you're really determined to get prosecuted, you can get them from here. :laughing:

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Just a quick informal pole, how many cachers own a laser pen or somthing else that can project a laser beam; as I am thinking of setting a night cache where you will need a laser to complete it.

I tried to set one up a little while ago - but my main problems were.....

• To make any use of the laser that couldn't also be done with a torch meant having distant markers and two people
  • I could find no way of fixing the pen's direction that didn't contradict at least one guideline
  • Risks to the second person from looking at the beam
  • Although different pen's beams might be uniform, there's no guarantee that the beam direction will be in line with the pen's body - found that out when I ignored the second point above, and tried a second pen. Half a degree out at the pen worked out to 30 feet off at the target :laughing:

Good luck with it though :rolleyes:

Edited by keehotee

I've considered a similar cache idea/system in the past but didn't place it. I've got a laser spirit level but without a very fresh battery it wouldn't be much use outdoors and I didn't want to mount it somewhere as a permanent feature as the battery would be killed by cold weather. I hope you come up with a good, safe solution as the general 'follow the beam' concept is pretty cool I think.

We have found the laser quest cache as mentioned above, despite the CO providing a platform the beam is still very sensitive to slight changes in palcement if iti has to reach a target over a long distance. I think there were 6 of us searcing for the end or the beam. Also the one that we own eats batteries very quickly.

The purpose of the laser is to project a straight line.

You could do the same thing with a length of string.

Well not exactly, what stops you walking slightly to far to right and getting to the wrong tree.

You get the same problem with a laser. If it isn't aligned exactly right, you get to the wrong tree.

The purpose of the laser is to project a straight line.

You could do the same thing with a length of string.

Well not exactly, what stops you walking slightly to far to right and getting to the wrong tree.

You get the same problem with a laser. If it isn't aligned exactly right, you get to the wrong tree.

A laser will not bend as easy as a piece of string though :laughing: