Query?

abiherts

Um.. Tricky one this.

I think you have a number of options:

1) Disable the cache for a while untill the police lock up the man responcable.

2) Archive the caches, this one however is tricky. If you have just one or two I might archive, they can always be unarchived later on.

3) Post a warning on the cache page. However this option will probeble scare cachers away, for me as a teenage cacher I would DEFINATLY not visit the cache while this threat is around.

It realy depends on the area you live in, if your caches are in a built up area or even just in the centre of a village I would disable them for a week of two, then I would just add a warning to the cache page and add the no night caching attribute. Ones far out in the countryside, or night caches I would archive. They can always come back but it is just not worth it.

Hope this helps

Not sure why you really have to ask.

The ONLY answer is that you must either disable it, or archive it.

It's just a plastic container after all.

Totally agree. If they were our caches, we would never forgive ourselves if something bad but happened to a cacher whilst looking for one of our caches, especially if we could've taken steps to avoid it. Yes, cachers always have the 'choice' but in this instance, we feel it would be prudent to disable or archive.

I would want a warning, then its up to me if I decide to go or not.

What proportion of cachers read the page these days? If it's something like a case of ending up unaware of the need for a special piece of equipment or the fact that a cache is something other than a traditional my attitude would be 'tough, you should have read the page' but when it's a safety issue I agree with currykev - disable or archive.

Thank you for your replies, there are several other caches nearby owned by other cachers so hopefully if they are aware of the incidents they will also temporarily disable their caches or post a note.

Definitely disable for the time being, apart from cachers possibly being at risk of being attacked, they could also be at risk of being collared by the cops under suspicion of being the perpetrator.