Caching with the Samsung Galaxy S

Team Webguy

Heya all. I have heard horror stories of battery life on Android phones. I have no intention of using it as a GPS, so, that should help the battery life problem a bit, but was going to use cachemate on it as I used to on Palm, a database of caches etc. At this time, not even interested in pulling data in real time.

Anyone running a Galaxy S and using it with Cachemate like I intend? What sort of battery life are you getting?

Cheers

I'm very happy with batterylife of the galaxy, unless you go for gps daytrips it works fine.

The horrorstories is maybe of 1st generation, or cheaper models.

Be sure to stop unneeded apps.

The Galaxy is lightyears ahead of my Garmin Oregon so if you really need more juice, get another battery.

Battery life shouldn't be a problem if you're only periodically using the device through the day, even using the GPS periodically the battery should provide plenty of juice.

I picked up a Motorola P513 micro usb car charger for $5.82 delivered from Amazon (really) which works fine on my Verizon Fascinate, so I don't worry much about battery life.

Using it with c:geo or the official Geo app is very nice, especially with integration to Google Nav.

The Oregon 200 blows the phone away for caching once you get out of the car of course. Locks better. Holds lock better under trees. No worries about rain or dropping it.

Battery life shouldn't be a problem if you're only periodically using the device through the day, even using the GPS periodically the battery should provide plenty of juice.

I picked up a Motorola P513 micro usb car charger for $5.82 delivered from Amazon (really) which works fine on my Verizon Fascinate, so I don't worry much about battery life. The Galaxy has pretty good power management capabilities. Even with heavy use I've never come close to running out of battery (if I run without GPS enabled of course).

Using it with c:geo or the official Geo app is very nice, especially with integration to Google Nav.

The Oregon 200 blows the phone away for caching once you get out of the car of course. Locks better. Holds lock better under trees. No worries about rain or dropping it.

Edited by vds