450 or 60csx

Our etrex was stolen and now we have a problem. everyone is running deals on 60csx, Oregon 450, and dakotas. Looks like a $50 difference from cheapest to most expensive right now.

This is strictly for geocaching, hiking, and flatwater kayaking, but turn by turn would be nice and I have to have the card slot for topos.

so the question now is this, if they were all the same price which one would you buy and why?

so the question now is this, if they were all the same price which one would you buy and why?
I'd definitely buy the Garmin 450, since I'd have the cache info on hand. Real nice when you're stumped, out in the wilderness, and the cache description has a clue you need. And I like the touch-screen.

But I'd instead definitely buy the 60CSx. I'm constantly astonished by how accurate that unit is, when my co-cacher using the 60CSx finds the container, and I'm 75 feet away in some bushes. And I like the readability of the display.

Sorry, I'm no help. But each of those two GPSRs excel in different ways.

Edited by kunarion
60csx, Oregon 450, and dakotas.
Depends upon how much time you spend doing each, but if you haven't experienced the "paperless" mode of caching, and do a fair bit of it -- well --- working with your list of 3, you'd kick yourself for not picking either the Oregon 450 or Dakota 20. Both will handle your uSD card, and both can have routable maps and topo maps installed concurrently. You could even get the Birdseye satellite images on those if that takes your interest.

As good as the 60CSx is, the firmware/configuration of the newer units just blows it away.

Splitting the 450 vs the 20: 450 has a somewhat larger screen so you get bit more detail over a wider area. The 450 has NMEA output if you ever want to play with realtime tracking or mapping. The 450 will manage 5000 caches at once vs 2000 with the Dakota. The Dakota is smaller and considerably lighter.

If I already have 60CSx (which I actually do), I don't think I'll spend money even on sale to upgrade to Oregon 450.

But no doubt...

If I were to buy a new handheld GPS, I think I would definitely purchase Oregon 450 providing that price difference isn't huge.

I mean... I am sure Oregon WILL see some fimrware updates to improve it's overall experience and performance over time as it did with 60CSx.

Edited by xxgg
I'd definitely buy the Garmin 450, since I'd have the cache info on hand. Real nice when you're stumped, out in the wilderness, and the cache description has a clue you need. And I like the touch-screen.

But I'd instead definitely buy the 60CSx. I'm constantly astonished by how accurate that unit is, when my co-cacher using the 60CSx finds the container, and I'm 75 feet away in some bushes. And I like the readability of the display.

Sorry, but it seems that 450 does NOT excel in the core functionality of being a, you know... GPS. :laughing:

Edited by sviking

Sorry, but it seems that 450 does NOT excel in the core functionality of being a, you know... GPS. :laughing:

Speaking from experience, I have no issues at all with the Oregon's accuracy. My wife (who's also got a 550 Oregon) and I found six caches today and the accuracy was never more than 3 meters away which is pretty reasonable. And the three axis compass on the Oregon is better than the 60s as well since it does not always have to be kept level.

Tried WGS84 instead of NAD27? :laughing:

My Dakota 20 and Oregon 450 get me there just fine ever since -- geez -- how long ago was that firmware update? Oh yeah, last May.

Is that addressed to me? Yes, I'm on the WGS84 datum. No problems at all with my 60CSx. Very accurate. However, if I had the SAME settings on a 450 and were using it alongside a 60CSx, which was currently marking on top the cache... And found myself 75 feet off with the 450? That's pretty piss poor performance...

and I'm 75 feet away in some bushes.*

It's not always necessarily the GPSr's fault, even if that's what I attribute it to. It does help a lot to bring another cacher who knows what he's doing. :)

* I may have exaggerated, a teeny little bit. And while I'm fibbing, I can confidently say I never have any trouble finding Geocaches. :rolleyes:

Edited by kunarion

Is that addressed to me? Yes, I'm on the WGS84 datum. No problems at all with my 60CSx. Very accurate. However, if I had the SAME settings on a 450 and were using it alongside a 60CSx, which was currently marking on top the cache... And found myself 75 feet off with the 450? That's pretty piss poor performance...

And contrary to your comment, atypical. My regular caching buddy uses the original (SiRFiii) 60CSx. We're usually standing on top of one another looking for the cache at GZ.

And contrary to your comment, atypical. My regular caching buddy uses the original (SiRFiii) 60CSx. We're usually standing on top of one another looking for the cache at GZ.

Same here. I find the Oregon at least as accurate as any 60, but a lot faster in most respects. It locks onto satelites incredibly quickly at all times for me.

I replaced my 76CSx with the Oregon 450 back in August. Based on my experience with the unit, I'd go with the Oregon 450.

Paperless caching, decent screen size, 3-axis compass, and solid accuracy. I've never had any issues when out caching with the 450 and my friends 60CSx are almost always in agreement on GZ.

I own them both, I have had the 60csx for 3 years now with no problems. I upgraded to the oregon 450 strictly for the paperless caching. I usually take both when I'm geocaching, my daughter is usually using one of them. I've not seen any noticable difference in the accuracy of the 2 units. I added the mapping sd card to the 450 which helps alot in getting you to the neighborhood of the cache. I was out today by myself and having trouble finding a cache, I had both units side by side in my hand and they would take me to within a few feet of each other. I still didn't find the cache, so they both must be junk. Ha Ha

So I would say if you are getting it mainly for geocaching, you can't beat the 450 for paperless caching. Beyond that, the durability of the 60csx might out weigh the 450.

Edited by GeoTeam Lee

I am also looking at buying the SD card for my 450... has anyone purchased it? Is the SD card better than buying the DVD or internet download? I am VERY disappointed in the lack of detailed maps on the 450. I just lost my 400t in the woods a month back so I got a pretty good deal on the 450 online (since the 400t has been discontinued, but I LOVED it)... but the only roads it has on it are the main highways. Pretty frustrating that I have to buy an upgrade to get similar features that were standard on my last one. :(

I am also looking at buying the SD card for my 450... has anyone purchased it? Is the SD card better than buying the DVD or internet download?

Personally, I prefer the DVD, if you're talking about the Garmin North America TOPO maps. That way you have a hard copy, a backup (in Mapsource) on your computer once it's installed and maps on as many compatible Garmin units as you want. The TOPO maps aren't locked to a single unit like the City Navigator NT road maps are. With that tiny SD card, if you lose it or it becomes damaged...that's it and you're SOL for TOPO maps. Garmin has some kind of proprietary protection where the SD cards cannot be backed up or copied.

I am VERY disappointed in the lack of detailed maps on the 450.

gpsfiledepot.com has very, very good TOPO maps...and they're all free.

gpsfiledepot.com has very, very good TOPO maps...and they're all free.

Unless you do the right thing and send the developers a donation to offset their costs.

Still cheap, but if everyone treated them as "free" the site wouldn't last very long.

Giving a DONATION is nice...sure... But, the maps are free to download. I was never "pestered" to pay anything, nor is it a hard and fast "right thing". It isn't always about money, you know. Some people do things just because they want to. We all get services from TONS of websites all the time and don't pay anything. :(

I have a good friend that I geocache with a lot. He has a 60CSX and I have the 450T. He is constantly asking me "what are the hints on this one"?, or "what is the description on this one"? or "what do the logs say"? They are both very accurate GPSrs but if you want paperless the 450 is a no brainer. I bought the 450T because it was on sale for a good price, but otherwise I would have gotten the 450, you can get very good FREE maps for it.

I have a good friend that I geocache with a lot. He has a 60CSX and I have the 450T. He is constantly asking me "what are the hints on this one"?, or "what is the description on this one"? or "what do the logs say"? They are both very accurate GPSrs but if you want paperless the 450 is a no brainer. I bought the 450T because it was on sale for a good price, but otherwise I would have gotten the 450, you can get very good FREE maps for it.

If I hadn't already recycled the box I would have returned my 450 and bought a 450t, but I am in the process of trying to download free TOPO maps... it looks very intimidating, but it's worth a shot! :)

I am in the process of trying to download free TOPO maps... it looks very intimidating, but it's worth a shot! :)

It's very easy. Just download it and run it. It's a self-installing file into Mapsource. Then you just highlight the areas you want (or all of it) and send to your GPS, just like installing any other map with Mapsource.

Thanks for the help all!! I had my mind set on the Oregon till I looked at the 60csx, I think now I will definitely go w/ the touch screen. Either way, we were happy with our etrex legend hc, so we ar moving up to luxury in our minds.

:) can't believe that 3months ago we debated wether a $100 etrex was a waste of money that would never get used. It has been gone for a week and we are all stir crazy. Just can't wait to get caching again.

I think you will like it. I geocache a lot with powermower, he has a new 60CSX and I have a Oregon 450T. The 60CSX is not more accurate than the 450, he and I come to ground zero in the same place 99.99999 percent of the time. Overall, I would say for geocacheing the 450 is more accurate because it can have so much more information in it.