Can I transfer the geocaching.com iphone app to my android phone?

czaralex

I bought the app for use on my ipod touch. Now I've sold the ipod touch and picked up an Android based phone. Since I already bough the program, can I transfer it/get credit to use it on my Android phone? My other purchased apps for my nursing job offered this without hassle. Suggestions?

Well yes. if the vendor was out the physical product, no i wouldn't expect a refund/credit. This is virtual. I have several apps I use for nursing and they are available for both ios and android. The websites for those apps allowed me to uninstall from the ipod and reinstall for the android.

Don't bother buying the official one (for android). It's garbage.

If I can't transfer my purchase over, I`ll just use the free one for android.

I purchased the official app and have been disappointed time and time again. Pocket queries don't load properly, the app is always force closing, and when I use the app my battery says its using 95% of all the battery. Then after you close the app it keeps draining the battery.

ALL THAT would be ok if we had some support, but the feedback site is a ghost town. The mods don't even clean up the threads in there. They implemented something 3 updates ago and never completed the task...You can tell the app is a cash cow, not a priority.

So let me get this straight.

You bought a $500 smartphone to replace your $400 iPod touch, and now you're upset Groundspeak won't front you $10?

When you go to the iTunes music store, do you get an automatic download of every song that you already own on cassette or CD? No, you don't. Fact is you bought the iOS geocaching app, not the Android one, or the Windows 7 one. These programs all had separate development costs associated with them and there is nothing wrong with Groundspeak recovering that development cost.

I dropped Windows Mobile and went to iOS with an iPhone 4. Yup, I had to repurchase most of my apps on that phone even though I bought the same apps from the same developers on my WinMo phone. I expected that though with the platform change. I would dare say most software developers require you to repurchase software when changing platforms.

Good luck with the free one, be that c:geo or the app that must not be named. You may find you're happy with that solution, or you may be ticked off with Groundspeak every time they make a site change that causes the free apps to break for a day or longer, since these apps do not have API access.

So let me get this straight.

1-You bought a $500 smartphone to replace your $400 iPod touch, and now you're upset Groundspeak won't front you $10?

2-When you go to the iTunes music store, do you get an automatic download of every song that you already own on cassette or CD? No, you don't. Fact is you bought the iOS geocaching app, not the Android one, or the Windows 7 one. These programs all had separate development costs associated with them and there is nothing wrong with Groundspeak recovering that development cost.

3-I dropped Windows Mobile and went to iOS with an iPhone 4. Yup, I had to repurchase most of my apps on that phone even though I bought the same apps from the same developers on my WinMo phone. I expected that though with the platform change. I would dare say most software developers require you to repurchase software when changing platforms.

4-Good luck with the free one, be that c:geo or the app that must not be named. You may find you're happy with that solution, or you may be ticked off with Groundspeak every time they make a site change that causes the free apps to break for a day or longer, since these apps do not have API access.

1- Sure, why not? $10 is $10. That would put enough gas in my motorcycle to go back and forth to work for a week.

2-No, but he can access his iTunes on his Android device, for free.

3-The OP has proven there are developers willing to allow you to switch between OS's, all they had to do was ask.

4- Ummmmm, last I checked, that IS the app that must not be named.

OP, I can understand your want to support GS in using their app, but until GS is willing to put out an app worth the price, why bother?

I bought the app for use on my ipod touch. Now I've sold the ipod touch and picked up an Android based phone. Since I already bough the program, can I transfer it/get credit to use it on my Android phone? My other purchased apps for my nursing job offered this without hassle. Suggestions?

First of all, you can't just transfer the app from your iPhone to the Droid device. The Groundspeak geocaching app is a "native app" with different executables for the iPhone, Android, and Windows 7. Because each of the devices runs a different operating system, it requires a different executable for each type of device.

However, what you really need is the ability to transfer the license from one device to another. Although this is a fairly common licensing model, if Groundspeak doesn't allow it you're going to have to spend another $10 for the app for your Droid device.

Why even ask this in the forums?

No one in here can answer that.

I suppose he is asking it in the forums for the same reason most of us come to the forum for the first time. To see if any of the other 4-5 million other geocaching.com users have run into the same predicament and have an answer. The alternative is calling AT&T or Apple customer service.

There seem to be a lot of people that post here asking questions on technical issues with their Garmin or Magellan etc. Most times they seem to get answers pretty quick.

Don't bother buying the official one (for android). It's garbage.

That has not been my experience at all. I tend to use the official app on my Droid X as my primary caching device, even though I own a (very expensive) Garmin 62s. The earlier versions were known to have some serious problems which is I think where you're coming from, but I'd say those problems are in the past. Overall I've been pleased with it, well worth my 10 bucks. I've tried some of the free apps for Android and found them to be pretty shoddy. I have not tried the [censored] app (which 'speak says violates their terms) as the official one does everything I need.

(No worries, moderators, I pre-censored it for you)

1- Sure, why not? $10 is $10. That would put enough gas in my motorcycle to go back and forth to work for a week.

2-No, but he can access his iTunes on his Android device, for free.

3-The OP has proven there are developers willing to allow you to switch between OS's, all they had to do was ask.

4- Ummmmm, last I checked, that IS the app that must not be named.

OP, I can understand your want to support GS in using their app, but until GS is willing to put out an app worth the price, why bother?

1 - $10 is also $10 for Groundspeak

2-He can transfer iTunes PLUS purchases to his Android device. Good luck getting iTunes rentals, iBooks, or other non iTunes PLUS purchases on his device. He sure as heck isn't going to access the iTunes STORE from an Android device. Other examples of this in the real world: Amazon Kindle vs iBooks vs Barnes and Noble nook vs Sony E-Reader ...same thing, you're not going to transfer paid content between those devices.

3- The developer has to be willing. The fact that another developer is willing is nice but that is not binding on Groundspeak (nor should it be).

4 - c:geo is not the app that must not be named. There's another one with 10x the bandwidth hit that they REALLY dislike.

Edited by northernpenguin
4 - c:geo is not the app that must not be named. There's another one with 10x the bandwidth hit that they REALLY dislike.
For quite a while, c:geo was the app that must not be named. If you typed its name in the forums, then it was automatically replaced with a message like "[name of unauthorized app removed]" by the badwords filter. I hadn't heard that there was a new app that must not be named.
For quite a while, c:geo was the app that must not be named. If you typed its name in the forums, then it was automatically replaced with a message like "[name of unauthorized app removed]" by the badwords filter. I hadn't heard that there was a new app that must not be named.

Yep I remember that too. There was a time that c:geo and GCzII were automatically deleted, or forum topics locked/closed/edited. Then this other app came along and I guess GS decided that c:geo and GCzII weren't so bad after all.

No actually, I mean the app at its most recent version.

Just curious what problems you've had with it to call it "garbage"...

I posted a few reasons above... Did you not see?

Sorry, I missed that post. :( Since the last update, the freeze issues have gone away for me, and I don't have problems with PQs or battery life. I usually carry spare batteries but rarely have to use them. This is on app version 1.1.2 on a Droid X. It's honestly worked great for me as an everyday caching device. I used to use the iPhone app (which had a HUGE battery life problem) as well, and the only thing I've found to be lacking at this point is the ability to post pictures from the device. Not to discount your problems with it, but they just ain't happening on my particular phone.

I'm not sure what the policy is for things like this, so I sent one of the developers a note to see what they say.

Because the past few days were a long holiday weekend in the US, it may be a bit before they get back to me. If you need a quicker response, I'd suggest contacting Groundspeak directly at the address TAR posted above.

I used to use GeoBeagle, before I started beta testing the Groundspeak app. The beta versions were rough, but the released versions have been pretty solid. I haven't used GeoBeagle in a while.

If I weren't beta testing the app, I'd gladly pay $10 for it. But I just recently paid $30 to renew my annual membership, mainly because I want to support the site (although the bookmark lists and PQs are very useful bonuses).

czaralex,

I am sorry, but Groundspeak doesn't offer a credit or free transfer of the Geocaching application between devices.

Since I'm getting a lot of enquiries about which app I'm referring to I'm going to post this quickly.

1) I can't recall the name of the app.

2) I can't find the darn forum post where the individual was complaining that c:geo didn't have the bandwidth hungry feature, and that the official GS app didn't have it.

3) I'm not going into detail here about the feature, as not to give a rogue programmer any ideas that will lead to increased antacid sales near GCHQ.

Just forget about that point above, that I should not have typed and move along. Android is not my primary mobile OS, I just remember reading about it, noting it (and the comparison to c:geo) and carrying on. For all I know the post was a work of fiction. Sorry bout that.