Virtual discoveries on geocoins

Mauison

Got a timeout so I didn't think it went through, then I couldn't get into the forums. Here's the gist of the original post.

I got a virtual discovery on one of my geocoins and here's the message:

Hello fellow cacher. My friend and myself are having a contest who can "Discover" 2000 different geo-coins first. Please help me in my quest by not deleting my virtual "discovery". I will understand if you delete this posting if you don't want virtual discoveries on your geo-coin's web page. I do like to read the pages and the stories behind the geo-coins! Happy caching! ---

Looks like they're typing in random tracking #'s and discovering whatever coin is attached to that #. So I'm thinking some of you might get the same message.

And of course I deleted the log. =)

I guess his partner discovered one of mine. I got this the other day:

"Hello fellow cacher! While I was entering a different geo-coin, I mistyped and your geo-coin came up. So I thought I'd leave you a little hello and tell ya that I'd discovered your geo-coin's web page. This is one very cool coin! Maybe one day I'll open a cache and find your geo-coin looking up back at me! Take care and be well!"

I looked at his profile, and he "accidentally" discovered dozens of other coins, with the exact same log! LOL

I deleted it, and he logged it again. So I deleted it again!

A better competition would be to see who can find the most caches, not who can log fake discoveries on strangers coins.

:rolleyes: I have one on my tracking list that the user has as an avatar on GC and also their Facebook account. I have even discovered it, at the time I did not know that virtual logging was not allowed, but clearly it is. :laughing:

Virtual logging of a geocoin (or other trackable) isn't allowed. By "virtual logging" I mean logging something as found.

Virtual discoveries are sort of another matter, or so I'm gathering (though I could be wrong). But it seems to be that even if virtual discoveries don't result in a trackable being locked (as virtual finding does), that it's in bad taste.

If someone stumbled on the tracking code of one of my trackables and tried to "discover" it, I'd delete the log. They didn't discover it, as in find it during an event, actually see it and handle it, etc, and therefore don't deserve any icon. If they like the trackable enough to want to actually contribute to the trackable's page, then they're more than welcome to post a log. Note, however, that this is all IMO. Your mileage may vary. ; )

:rolleyes: I have one on my tracking list that the user has as an avatar on GC and also their Facebook account. I have even discovered it, at the time I did not know that virtual logging was not allowed, but clearly it is. :laughing:

Virtual logging of a geocoin (or other trackable) isn't allowed. By "virtual logging" I mean logging something as found.

Virtual discoveries are sort of another matter, or so I'm gathering (though I could be wrong). But it seems to be that even if virtual discoveries don't result in a trackable being locked (as virtual finding does), that it's in bad taste.

If someone stumbled on the tracking code of one of my trackables and tried to "discover" it, I'd delete the log. They didn't discover it, as in find it during an event, actually see it and handle it, etc, and therefore don't deserve any icon. If they like the trackable enough to want to actually contribute to the trackable's page, then they're more than welcome to post a log. Note, however, that this is all IMO. Your mileage may vary. ; )

My understanding is that a virtual "found" log and a virtual "discovered" log are the same thing. They both will get your trackable locked if you allow them.

I'd also delete the log. Hasn't happened yet.

I've had three so far and I have deleted all of them. Maybe in the future, I will report them to Groundspeak. What bothers me about it is the dishonesty.

Why? They clearly are very honest and tell you, that these are bogus logs.

I had discoveries on my coins from someone, who couldn't have seen them, as those were coins out of my collection. Someone gave a list with numbers to others and they logged all those trackables.

That was much more confusing for me, as the log said, they had seen the coins at an event.

But I wasn't at that event. Nor my coins. So I wrote an email and deleted those bogus logs at the time.

I've had three so far and I have deleted all of them. Maybe in the future, I will report them to Groundspeak. What bothers me about it is the dishonesty.

I had discoveries on my coins from someone, who couldn't have seen them, as those were coins out of my collection. Someone gave a list with numbers to others and they logged all those trackables.

That was much more confusing for me, as the log said, they had seen the coins at an event.

But I wasn't at that event. Nor my coins. So I wrote an email and deleted those bogus logs at the time.

I'm not sure if you're responding to me or to GregsonVaux, but I'll go ahead and answer: in my case it wouldn't matter if the person were to clearly state that the logs are bogus. Lying or truthful, the logs would be bogus (in my case) if the person hadn't seen the trackable. So I'd delete the logs.

:laughing: I have one on my tracking list that the user has as an avatar on GC and also their Facebook account. I have even discovered it, at the time I did not know that virtual logging was not allowed, but clearly it is. :laughing:

My understanding is that a virtual "found" log and a virtual "discovered" log are the same thing. They both will get your trackable locked if you allow them.

:laughing: That is my understanding also, that's why I put the trackable on my watchlist. :) I became aware of having a trackable "locked", because I posted that I thought about posting a photo of my trackable geocacher patch at earthcaches that I log. Another user called it to my attention about virtual logging. It ain't so cool after all. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if you're responding to me or to GregsonVaux, but I'll go ahead and answer: in my case it wouldn't matter if the person were to clearly state that the logs are bogus. Lying or truthful, the logs would be bogus (in my case) if the person hadn't seen the trackable. So I'd delete the logs.

Actually, I was replying GregsonVaux.

I agree, those bogus logs needs to be deleted.

But I don't think, those logs are dishonest. They clearly tell the story of a mislead challenge between friends.

A sad challenge for sure.

I'd rather collect countries or counties or even find numbers.

Maybe someone, who had those bogus logs should send them a link to this thread?

If any more of these turn up, please feel free to send the information to either Eartha or I so we can handle it.

Virtual logs are not allowed and we can help crack down on those doing it.

Got a timeout so I didn't think it went through, then I couldn't get into the forums.<snip>

Nobody gave you a timeout, but I'm sure something can be arranged. :(

Actually, I was replying GregsonVaux.

I agree, those bogus logs needs to be deleted.

But I don't think, those logs are dishonest. They clearly tell the story of a mislead challenge between friends.

A sad challenge for sure.

I'd rather collect countries or counties or even find numbers.

Maybe someone, who had those bogus logs should send them a link to this thread?

The log on my coin was dishonest. He says he accidentally typed in my coin number, but decided to log it anyway. Then he logged dozens of others with the exact same log. To me it looked like he was trying to make me think his logging of my coin was a one time thing. To me, that was dishonest.

If any more of these turn up, please feel free to send the information to either Eartha or I so we can handle it.

Virtual logs are not allowed and we can help crack down on those doing it.

Got a timeout so I didn't think it went through, then I couldn't get into the forums.<snip>

Nobody gave you a timeout, but I'm sure something can be arranged. :(

:( If someone virtual logged one of MY trackables, I would rat the virtual muggler out and not even feel like a geosnitch. ;)

I find it interesting that the very thing that is being talked about in this thread is being done by active members of our Forum Here

How does that make since?

That's a different situation. I think they meant to write a note about the coin instead of discovering it.

The situation that we're discussing is that there are cachers randomly entering tracking #'s, hoping to discover as many coins as they can.

I find it interesting that the very thing that is being talked about in this thread is being done by active members of our Forum Here

That's a different situation. I think they meant to write a note about the coin instead of discovering it.

The situation that we're discussing is that there are cachers randomly entering tracking #'s, hoping to discover as many coins as they can.

You need a tracking number to discover, for a note you don't.

Are you saying that I should not have done what I did? At the time, I was the highest bidder and was fearful that I was going to be buying a coin that belonged to someone else. My intention was to notify the geocaching community, not to mislead anyone. So, did I do the wrong thing? If so, I did not try to hide any of my actions and instead called people's attention to them by posting the same link myself.

Actually, I think that my actions fit in very well with the whole point of tracking numbers. I was provoding a log of a very interesting event in the life of the coin. If this were a movie and the coin were a character, this would be the scene where the hero is captured and sold into slavery. Makes for good drama, doesn't it? It also looks like this story will have a happy ending. Again, the difference is that none of the people who wrote those logs were misleading anyone. In a very real sense all of the people who wrote those logs were helping to move the coin in a good direction. They were all accurately recording an interesting event; in my opinion, far more interesting than 99.9% of the coin logs I usually see.

Are you saying that I should not have done what I did? At the time, I was the highest bidder and was fearful that I was going to be buying a coin that belonged to someone else. My intention was to notify the geocaching community, not to mislead anyone. So, did I do the wrong thing? If so, I did not try to hide any of my actions and instead called people's attention to them by posting the same link myself.

Actually, I think that my actions fit in very well with the whole point of tracking numbers. I was provoding a log of a very interesting event in the life of the coin. If this were a movie and the coin were a character, this would be the scene where the hero is captured and sold into slavery. Makes for good drama, doesn't it? It also looks like this story will have a happy ending. Again, the difference is that none of the people who wrote those logs were misleading anyone. In a very real sense all of the people who wrote those logs were helping to move the coin in a good direction. They were all accurately recording an interesting event; in my opinion, far more interesting than 99.9% of the coin logs I usually see.

From my understanding discovery logs are normally reserved for a coin that you physically see. There for you "discover" it. I could be wrong, anyone else have incite on a "discovery" log vs a "note" log?

Are you saying that I should not have done what I did? ... snip...

You can post a note to a coin's page to bring attention to the CO of something you discovered about the coin or its whereabouts. To log a discovery to a coin you have not seen in person is abuse of the tracking system. Also if you see a coin on Ebay that's listed as Missing you can provide a link to the auction page or even the seller so the CO can track their coin or the person down. :)

From my understanding discovery logs are normally reserved for a coin that you physically see. There for you "discover" it. I could be wrong, anyone else have incite on a "discovery" log vs a "note" log?

Anyone can post a note to a coin's page... it requires no tracking number. Using the tracking number gleened from a virtual image, post or photo to log a discovery is considered virtual logging..... you're logging a coin you have not seen in person.

Are you saying that I should not have done what I did? My intention was to notify the geocaching community, not to mislead anyone. So, did I do the wrong thing?

In this instance, I think Team kizb has a point. GregsonVaux could have notified the coin owner with a "Writes Note" just as effectively as with a "Discovered It" message; the coin owner gets it either way and the story of this event is on the coin's page.

Technically, anyone logging a "Discovered It" because they saw the tracking number on eBay is virtually logging that Sputnik coin. You didn't physically see the coin in a cache or at an event, therefore it's a virtual "discovery." Your intentions to notify the coin owner are laudable and I hope others who encounter such things will do the same, but do so with a "Writes Note" log on the coin's page or with a message through geocaching.com . In my humble opinion of this particular situation, "Write Note" should have been used, as it would have accomplished the same goal of notifying the coin owner (and keeping an interesting history!) without violating gc.com rules/guidelines.

If you want to share information, there are ways to do it that don't involve virtual logs: "write note" or send a message to the coin owner.

If you want to spread information AND keep the icon with a "Discovered It" log because that's how you choose to remember things, well... I think we all lead by example.

Are you saying that I should not have done what I did? My intention was to notify the geocaching community, not to mislead anyone. So, did I do the wrong thing?

In this instance, I think Team kizb has a point. GregsonVaux could have notified the coin owner with a "Writes Note" just as effectively as with a "Discovered It" message; the coin owner gets it either way and the story of this event is on the coin's page.

Technically, anyone logging a "Discovered It" because they saw the tracking number on eBay is virtually logging that Sputnik coin. You didn't physically see the coin in a cache or at an event, therefore it's a virtual "discovery." Your intentions to notify the coin owner are laudable and I hope others who encounter such things will do the same, but do so with a "Writes Note" log on the coin's page or with a message through geocaching.com . In my humble opinion of this particular situation, "Write Note" should have been used, as it would have accomplished the same goal of notifying the coin owner (and keeping an interesting history!) without violating gc.com rules/guidelines.

If you want to share information, there are ways to do it that don't involve virtual logs: "write note" or send a message to the coin owner.

If you want to spread information AND keep the icon with a "Discovered It" log because that's how you choose to remember things, well... I think we all lead by example.

Fair enough. I was inexperienced in this matter and I will keep this issue in mind for next time. I was not aware of the distinction between 'discover' and 'note' and I did not know that you can write a note without a tracking number. The way that I viewed it was that the coin had been missing for two years and this was the way to bring it back to light. At this time, I did not feel that my actions had any similarity to people who randomly type in a tracking number and then pretend that they have visited a coin at a cache. I still think that my actions fall into a different class. My log clearly stated where I had seen the coin and how I was involved. If the circumstances had been a bit different, I had intended to mail the coin back to the owner. I thought it would be nice for the owner to hold the coin again.

Logging a trackable from a number shown on ebay is a virtual log, and should either be deleted, or changed to a note. You cannot move, find, discover or see something you did not see, touch, smell, or feel, in person.

I tried to change the log from a discover to a note, but I was unable to and this message was posted

"There was an action associated with this log. The log type cannot be changed."

I would rather not delete the log since I think it is an important part of the history of the coin. Does someone from Groundspeak want to change it for me?

Logging a trackable from a number shown on ebay is a virtual log, and should either be deleted, or changed to a note. You cannot move, find, discover or see something you did not see, touch, smell, or feel, in person.

I tried to change the log from a discover to a note, but I was unable to and this message was posted

"There was an action associated with this log. The log type cannot be changed."

I would rather not delete the log since I think it is an important part of the history of the coin. Does someone from Groundspeak want to change it for me?

how about deleting the log since you didn't actually discover it and put the info in a new note. that way the "history" is intact but the inaccurate discovery is removed.

I am guilty of one virtual discovery. :cool: I did not know it was not allowed at the time. I got the tracking number from the users avatar on their porfile page on this site, not Facebook, like other users are discovering it. No harm came from my virtual discovery, unless you call me having to have a trackable like the other users, and Groundspeak sells them. :D I think that lots of geocachers are unaware of MANY things concerning trackables. Like how to log them, move them, and not KEEP them. :D I use the tracking feature of my PM to keep up with some trackables, most go MIA soon. Yes, newbies seem to be the worst for this. They log the find, but not the trackable. This is why we use pathtags as trackable cache SWAG. :)

Funny...I just had the same thing happen...but the log was in French so I couldn't read it. I just thought it was odd since it was on a coin in my personal possession that hasn't seen the light of day in years! lol

BTW- Forget the lists of trades and coins for sale...I need to remember how to remove that info. lol