Geo Art

ogeoISplash

There is a new 200 cache series that will be published on 6/23/2012. The artwork is in the shape of the Route 66 Highway sign. It is 2.3 miles from top to bottom and left to right. It is over 20 miles worth of hiking. You can find it at GC3KD7Q after 6/23/2012.

route66geoartseries.jpg

WOW - where will this be placed? State? Amazing piece of geoart - thanks for sharing.

This is in Southern California off the I40. About half way between Barstow and Needles.

COOL - could this be done in conjunction with the Rte66 Power Trail? Looks to be in the same area!

There is a new 200 cache series that will be published on 6/23/2012. The artwork is in the shape of the Route 66 Highway sign. It is 2.3 miles from top to bottom and left to right. It is over 20 miles worth of hiking. You can find it at GC3KD7Q after 6/23/2012.

route66geoartseries.jpg

WOW - where will this be placed? State? Amazing piece of geoart - thanks for sharing.

This is in Southern California off the I40. About half way between Barstow and Needles.

COOL - could this be done in conjunction with the Rte66 Power Trail? Looks to be in the same area!

If you have the time, yes it can. Just remember, it's not a PT like Route 66.

I have recently moved to Dubai, UAE! Not a whole lot of caches around, but I'm grabbing them when time permits.

My employer will be renting us an apartment very soon, and the one we like is likely to be our home. The building is in an area that is not built up yet at all.

I'm considering creating some geo-art here, plenty of room and they desperately need more caches in this part of the world.

Does anyone know any software that would assist me in creating an image of caches? Some that would allow me to frame out a square and then click my points/caches and it give me all the coords?

Thanks! I look forward to working on this as soon as I get settled in and have a somewhat easy way to place caches in the desert and them not getting buried in the sand!

As part of our 10th anniversary celebration this weekend, WSGA is publishing a "cache art" series of 54 puzzle caches. The cache icons will spell out "WSGA" at the south end of Lake Washington, with the caches themselves sprinkled around Renton, Newcastle, and south Seattle.

The WSGA series will be published at 9:00 am this Saturday, Sept. 8 (our founding date) - so, on your mark, get set,.... :lol: There is no final or bonus cache for this series, or any special prizes, just the joy of puzzling. This allowed our COs to create puzzles of any difficulty, so expect an interesting mix.

Props to PhilNi for managing the project, and to the 38 WSGA members who created puzzles. Thanks to mc3cats and Terrible Ts for the idea, to Tobias & Petronella for initial mapping, to jim_carson for computing coordinates, and to Rock Rabbit for managing the review process. The location scouts were PhilNi, mc3cats, and hydnsek. Well done, all! B)

Edited by hydnsek

For those interested in Geo Art and Power Trails, the Idaho League of Cachers is in the process of installing nearly 2000 caches on BLM land in southern Idaho. The kick off event is "Do the Locomotion" GC3RWCC which will be held on September 28.

Last month I was over to an event and helped them manufacture quite a few. They all have reflective tape on them so that you can spot them at night and not run over them.

Those who attend the event with their laptops will get a CD with the .GPX files so that they don't have to wait for all 1900+ to be published.

In March we added another to the Southern Nevada collection, the Girl Scout Trefoil (GC3E3QG), in honor of Girl Scout's 100th Anniversary. It's a series of 31 (really 32 since there's a 2 stage multi). It has caches of all sizes and four different types. Most are reflective. One of the organizers was a Girl Scout working on her Girl Scout Silver Project about geocaching safely.

I a little bias here but there a Smiley Series in NW Victorville, CA, GC1JERK, established in 2008 with the Groundspeak Series just NE of the Smiley Series GC24C8W. Up Highway 15 past Las Vegas you'll find Kokopelli Series GC29A8E. Coming soon "Peace Series". You got to love GeoArt.

, also up by Ridgecrest heights CA it is a signal the frog, Signal A (GC37YKZ), and up by Victorville is a hand doing the peace sign, Be At Peace (GC43CBG), and finally also by victorville is an rv , Keystone Alpine Rv, (GC41XY8)

route66geoartseries.jpg

It looks like it' about time to make another trip your way! Thanks for all the great geoart submissions. Geoart is a creative way to express our love of geocaching no matter what type of cache or where hidden. I love this sport where there is a type of cache and size of cache for everyone. Keep the list going so others can enjoy seeing the creativity and know where to plan their vacations. LOL.

I wonder how much "rules" there is about this. I mean...I could see someone doing a phallic symbol. I mean, technically, I don't see anywhere there is rules against it.

The geoart that I've done and any trails that I've put out have been in cooperation with a reviewer weeks before the caches were published. The rules do talk about the contents being family friendly and the owners of the caches are to delete any inappropriate logs. I think you could assume that this goes for the placement too. I don't think the reviewers would allow any geoart that is offensive. So far, I have not seen any. If you don't like them, you have the option of putting them on your ignore list. That is why this sport is so great. There is something for everyone.