Geo Art

ogeoISplash

I am wanting to compile a list of Geo Art across the US. I am going to list the ones that I am aware of. Please add to the list when you find some. List the name, nearby city, state and GC#. Thanks.

Head Alien Rachel, NV GC253ZN

Heartburn - Palm Springs CA GC1M5JC

Smiley - Santa Teresa, NM GC23PXH

Peace Sign - Kirkland, WA GC241QM

Smiley - SW of Bend, OR GC1PB5J

Frown - E of Bend, OR GC27A2G

Shield - Lemmon Valley, NV GC2CD4W

Groundspeak - NW of Victorville, CA GC23PB6 with an event on 12/18/10 GC23RP7

Do you know of any others. Post their whereabouts please.

I am wanting to compile a list of Geo Art across the US. I am going to list the ones that I am aware of. Please add to the list when you find some. List the name, nearby city, state and GC#. Thanks.

Head Alien Rachel, NV GC253ZN

Heartburn - Palm Springs CA GC1M5JC

Smiley - Santa Teresa, NM GC23PXH

Peace Sign - Kirkland, WA GC241QM

Smiley - SW of Bend, OR GC1PB5J

Frown - E of Bend, OR GC27A2G

Shield - Lemmon Valley, NV GC2CD4W

Groundspeak - NW of Victorville, CA GC23PB6 with an event on 12/18/10 GC23RP7

Do you know of any others. Post their whereabouts please.

Raiders shield - E of Reno GC2CGRA is this the one in Lemmon Valley?

I don't have any GC # but there is a heart and baseball diamond in Nevada, by Las Vegas I think. It is hard to see now, but there was a NO CLUE down by LA(?).

edit: thread

Edited by jholly

I went and looked at the map for Vegas and didn't find the ones you mentioned but did find another smiley.

S1 - S18 Las Vegas NV GC18PTM

Check the link in my previous post, the heart, as it turns out, is in Utah. Searching with google I found the baseball diamond but it is archived.

I went and looked at the map for Vegas and didn't find the ones you mentioned but did find another smiley.

S1 - S18 Las Vegas NV GC18PTM

Check the link in my previous post, the heart, as it turns out, is in Utah. Searching with google I found the baseball diamond but it is archived.

Thanks! The link brought up not only another smiley but also pacman in CA.

Smiley shape - North of Victorville, CA GC1JER4

30 years of Pacman - also North of Victorville, CA GC28XMF

and the Utah heart shape is:

HOTD - West of Green River just off the I-70 GC1F6XA

Thanks, lets keep the list going. Anyone know of others.

Thanks, lets keep the list going. Anyone know of others.

I don't know if they qualify as "art," but in Washington's coastal waters we also have NUTS and BUGZ in addition to the Peace Sign. (As I understand it, NUTS was first, which inspired BUGZ, which inspired the Peace Sign series.)

Edited by hydnsek

In Kansas near the OK border, there is:

Heartland Geocaches by cantuland (GCQAQQ) - which was all ammo cans, unlike some art.

Not too far from there and still under construction in Wichita is the Smiley Face (SF) series by Nicc from KS (GC2465W)

In Houston, TX, there is One Huge Smile by Jigsaw Jim, Pappy's Posse & OneStepCloser (GC1NW7P)

There is also a Geoart challenge cache but I don't see my notes on it - i think it's in the Dallas area. My humble effort towards making art is still in planning - need to find some land to avoid making them all puzzles! Also the challenge cache, I believe, limits it to geoart involving at least 20 individual caches.

How many caches do you think it takes to make geoart?

OOPS! I just noticed that this is in a regional forum and not a general discussion - I found the topic via Google and didn't look first before replying.

EDITED to add last comment.

Edited by crossmage

In Kansas near the OK border, there is:

Heartland Geocaches by cantuland (GCQAQQ) - which was all ammo cans, unlike some art.

Not too far from there and still under construction in Wichita is the Smiley Face (SF) series by Nicc from KS (GC2465W)

In Houston, TX, there is One Huge Smile by Jigsaw Jim, Pappy's Posse & OneStepCloser (GC1NW7P)

There is also a Geoart challenge cache but I don't see my notes on it - i think it's in the Dallas area. My humble effort towards making art is still in planning - need to find some land to avoid making them all puzzles! Also the challenge cache, I believe, limits it to geoart involving at least 20 individual caches.

How many caches do you think it takes to make geoart?

OOPS! I just noticed that this is in a regional forum and not a general discussion - I found the topic via Google and didn't look first before replying.

Thanks for all the input. It doesn't matter if it is in other parts of the country. We are retired now and hope to travel so I want to know about them all.

EDITED to add last comment.

I a little bias here but there a Smiley Series in NW Victorville, CA, GC1JERK, established in 2008 with the Groundspeak Series just NE of the Smiley Series GC24C8W. Up Highway 15 past Las Vegas you'll find Kokopelli Series GC29A8E. Coming soon "Peace Series". You got to love GeoArt.

We did the smiley near Victorville and the star with the Kokopelli series along with the alien head in NV to qualify for the challenge cache, 3 State Geo-Art Challenge GC2CJCM. They were all fun geo art's to do.

I a little bias here but there a Smiley Series in NW Victorville, CA, GC1JERK, established in 2008 with the Groundspeak Series just NE of the Smiley Series GC24C8W. Up Highway 15 past Las Vegas you'll find Kokopelli Series GC29A8E. Coming soon "Peace Series". You got to love GeoArt.

We did the smiley near Victorville and the star with the Kokopelli series along with the alien head in NV to qualify for the challenge cache, 3 State Geo-Art Challenge GC2CJCM. They were all fun geo art's to do.

We jusxt did the Alien head AT NIGHT BY FOOT and it was amazing!

By far the best is the Thunderbird series in Southwest Idaho. 200 Caches in four styles. Traditional, Letterbox, Multi, and Wherigo Caches. GC36AKV is the tip of the nose. This was released 11/11/11 at the Multi-event by the League of Idaho Cachers.

We thoroughly enjoyed doing the thunderbird! It took us about 8-9 hours to complete on our 4 wheelers and we didn't push it. Some rode their bikes, 4 wheelers and some drove their rigs. Those driving rigs, it took lots longer to complete. I'll post a picture later.

Edited by ogeo

in the regular forums the new one in Sweden was talked about, its pretty epic in its size.

While searching for it, I see this one...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC326E7

It is in the form of a travel bug

Here is the one I meant to show first.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3FFCQ

"This is Ragnhild of Tälje Queen, saint, and the figure in the seal of our home City of Södertälje. "

I was looking for caches in an area we will be traveling next month and ran across this geoart. It is a heart with the word, mom, written in the middle.306446_2414713051666_1366512174_32791184_151102678_n.jpg

GC2ZT6A From the Bottom of My Heart

THis series was archived due to a spat with the locals. There is still one cache left, I think the bottom of the heart that gives the details.

There is a new 200 cache series that will be published on 6/23/2012. The artwork is in the shape of the Route 66 Highway sign. It is 2.3 miles from top to bottom and left to right. It is over 20 miles worth of hiking. You can find it at GC3KD7Q after 6/23/2012.

route66geoartseries.jpg

WOW - where will this be placed? State? Amazing piece of geoart - thanks for sharing.

There is a new 200 cache series that will be published on 6/23/2012. The artwork is in the shape of the Route 66 Highway sign. It is 2.3 miles from top to bottom and left to right. It is over 20 miles worth of hiking. You can find it at GC3KD7Q after 6/23/2012.

route66geoartseries.jpg

"Hiking"? Did I hear the word, "hiking"? As in... actually WALKING between caches? That's a novel idea! I can't wait to see more details!

I thought this was a "Geo Art Caches placed in an artistic pattern" thread. And I see not so positive comments. Why do I bother? This sport is evolving. I think if the original hiders would have ever imagined LPC hides, or anything not placed in the deep woods like the first caches, the game would not be around today.

route66geoartseries.jpg

WOW - where will this be placed? State? Amazing piece of geoart - thanks for sharing.

This is in Southern California off the I40. About half way between Barstow and Needles.