dont You hate Lamp post hides

rollag

There's one by my office I've been eyeing for months now. It's actually a challenge because it is directly in front of a Starbucks, a movie theater and a couple of restaurants and the light pole is in an island bordered by the drive on three sides and handicapped parking on the fourth. There are muggles there almost continuously and going after it would feel like I'm going up on stage in front of everyone sitting outside Starbucks or driving through the parking lot. It's not a particularly inspiring or scenic spot, but the interesting part is the challenge of stealth. If I really wanted to, I could possible go up there super early in the morning...but I'm not THAT desperate. Some day the timing will be right and I'll add it to my list of finds...but I'll never go out of my way to get an LPC no matter how challenging the stealth factor is.

the first LPC we found was in Florida, we had alot of fun with it,

we found alot of them on our vacation there,

we did not get tired of them,

Kudos, Sir!

It is a rare occasion that I meet someone who can tolerate tedium for an extended time frame. I certainly never learned that trick. When I encounter something as mind numbing as a crappy container, in an uninspiring location such as 500 acres of sweltering, exhaust laden blacktop teaming with soccer mom driven SUVs, my only thought is to get as far away from there as possible, as quickly as possible. I hope you recognize how unique you really are, and congratulate yourself accordingly. Your steadfast resilience reminds me of a gag business card a fiend gave me long ago. On the front, it said, "Would you like to know how to keep a Scot amused for hours? (I'm Scottish) Turn card over for answer!" On the back was written the exact same thing. I could only flip it once. I would be quite jealous of someone who could sit there, perfectly content, flipping that card for days on end.

the people who dont like them, can easily unselect them.

Not necessarily. If you don't cache with a GPS containing maps, you might only get a distance and direction, suggesting where your next find awaits. Granted, with the advent of smart phones, and paperless caching GPS units, those with such elderly devices might be as rare as a logical, rational thought in Rosie O'Donnell's brain. But that's the type of GPS I started with, and I still see some from time to time. Those folks might not have the option of "unselecting" lame caches. They might have to get to ground zero first, discover that it is lame, then drive away.

a LPC is alot better over no cache at all.

This I will gladly debate.

With the possible exception of numbers oriented cachers, those who can't stand seeing an unfounded cache on their map and those who, like yourself, are unusually tolerant of all hide styles/types, a crappy cache serves very little purpose. For those who admire things like quality and creativity, a crappy cache is even worse than useless, as they often tend to lead to more crappy caches, in a phenominum known as Micro-Spew.

Edited by Clan Riffster

Well, my clan is very new to this. We were mugglers until just a mere week ago when we stumbled upon a hidden cache quite by accident. The GPS has been ordered and we have yet to look for/find a lamp post hide. I'm guessing we'll be rather excited when that time comes. However, after years of experience I suspect finding the easy ones might become kind of boring. Right now the challenge for us is finding something without a GPS :D

A find is a find for us in our infantile stage of the game. Obviously very creative or wilderness hides are fantastic, but there is still the rush of finding a container hidden anywhere (lampost skirt in this case) that nobody else knows is there yet is passed by all the time. That is just neat to us.

a LPC is alot better over no cache at all.

For those who admire things like quality and creativity, a crappy cache is even worse than useless, as they often tend to lead to more crappy caches, in a phenomenon known as Micro-Spew.

Exactly.

I'd still argue that for most people any cache in a parking lot is more "useful" than one where you have to wade nipple deep in an alligator infested swamp. However most people are willing to allow Clan Riffster his odd* preference in caches as even where swamps cover a large area, people who want something more urban are not likely to think of swamp caches as "spew".

I've never quite understood the need to call the increasd numbers of urban hides "spew". These caches reflect a change in the demographics of geocaching from the outdoors adventure types who may have owned a handheld GPS 12 years ago, to the people who have smartphones with GPS technology and the ability to download a geocaching app.

It may be that there are some urban locations that Clan Riffster considers worthy of a cache, and that is is somewhat harder to determine which urban caches are in locations like this. It may also be the case that someone is more likely to leave what he calls a crappy container in a guardrail or other roadside host near the swamp, requiring the nipple-deep cache to moved a bit farther off the road. If that is what he means by spew, I won't argue that it doesn't happen.

* I use the term "odd" in a friendly, humorous, vein. I personnally don't find the preference for something more adventurous odd at all. But I believe it is reasonable to assume that most cachers nowadays tend to prefer something less adventurous than alligator infested swamps.

Edited by tozainamboku

Well, my clan is very new to this. We were mugglers until just a mere week ago when we stumbled upon a hidden cache quite by accident. The GPS has been ordered and we have yet to look for/find a lamp post hide. I'm guessing we'll be rather excited when that time comes. However, after years of experience I suspect finding the easy ones might become kind of boring. Right now the challenge for us is finding something without a GPS :D

A find is a find for us in our infantile stage of the game. Obviously very creative or wilderness hides are fantastic, but there is still the rush of finding a container hidden anywhere (lampost skirt in this case) that nobody else knows is there yet is passed by all the time. That is just neat to us.

I remember those days. Maybe you will never stop enjoying LPCs. If that happens, the world is your oyster (get it?...like the micro is the pearl and the skirt is the shell...cleaver huh). Glad you're having fun.

The only answer is really: to each their own. Some folks will go for any cache. Some folks will be selective. Some will try for "power trails" with a team and a system and others would rather find them one at a time, signing each and making a unique comment for every log.

Why does anyone have to denigrate how another person plays?

I like the fact that there are so many ways a person can play. I wouldn't be playing and enjoying caching if every one required a five mile hike up a mountain or through a swamp because I simply cannot do that due to other stuff in my life taking priority (not to mention geography). Of course I prefer the larger caches, the unique and interesting locations over the LPCs. Who doesn't? I don't think anyone could argue that the nearest Walmart is more interesting than some ruins with historical value and a scenic hike leading to it. I don't think anyone would argue that the thumbnail-sized magnetic nano is more fun and rewarding than a well-concealed ammo can full of TBs and swag. But so what? If not for some of those less-interesting caches, I'd be sitting in my depressing office on my lunch hour surfing the internet. As it stands, I'm getting out more and discovering places in my work-zone and home-zone that I've never seen - or seen but never noticed.

So you can look down your noses at folks who go after an LPC...or you can get over yourselves and accept that everyone plays their own way.

Maybe you will never stop enjoying LPCs. If that happens, the world is your oyster. Glad you're having fun.

Yup! These are the folks I am most jealous of. I have caching friends like this, who, even after many years of playing, still manage to enjoy finding a soggy log film can under a Burger King shrub. I try to embrace the game as fully as they do, but I lack their patience and tolerance. I mean, given a specific activity, (say, hunting a soggy log film can under a Burger King shrub), who wouldn't want to enjoy themselves doing it? I know my caching history would be much more joy filled if I could put up with such hides.

Other than your condescension in this post, I really haven't seen a lot of denigration.

Mostly I see folks saying "I like this, this and this, but not that".

There is nothing wrong with expressing what you do and don't like.

Maybe you will never stop enjoying LPCs. If that happens, the world is your oyster. Glad you're having fun.

Yup! These are the folks I am most jealous of. I have caching friends like this, who, even after many years of playing, still manage to enjoy finding a soggy log film can under a Burger King shrub. I try to embrace the game as fully as they do, but I lack their patience and tolerance. I mean, given a specific activity, (say, hunting a soggy log film can under a Burger King shrub), who wouldn't want to enjoy themselves doing it? I know my caching history would be much more joy filled if I could put up with such hides.

Other than your condescension in this post, I really haven't seen a lot of denigration.

Your sarcasm and facetiousness is far more condescending than anything I posted. Geez...you know, there is in fact NOT ONE THING CONDESCENDING in my post. What a right BS thing to say to me. If anything I'm completely against folks looking down their noses at the way others play the game.

Edited by J Grouchy

there is in fact NOT ONE THING CONDESCENDING in my post.

So you can look down your noses...

= Condescending

you can get over yourselves...

= Condescending

Just in case you missed it on your first go around.

As to your comments regarding sarcasm, there was none in my post.

I actually do envy those who can truly enjoy every hide they encounter.

They have fun. Every single time. What's not to envy about that?

Do you hate how easy lamp post hides are?

No. Everyone has different caching goals. Mine, currently is to go 183 consecutive days, which has required quite a few easy skirt lifters.

You're bumping a lot of old threads lately, you know. :lol: In the grand scheme of things, only a teeny percentage of highly active premium members of this website have any sort of "geosteaks" going, or are interested in doing such a thing. I've never liked how so many of this small fringe element seem to like to justify the tens of thousands of LPC's because they're great for their personal Geostreaks. But feel free to flame away at me if you're part of this small fringe element. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I happily remain LPC free, not understanding what part of Geo they fit.

My other 2/3rds has found two. Both times the noise of the things caused others to notice.

She now puts them on par with front yard hides.

Groundspeak's spiel still can be found here and there,

"The language of location...See the World, Discover new destinations".

- Maybe they should add, "One parking lot at a time"

In my area there are quite of few of them. And I have admit I'll go for every smilely I can get. But most are designed for the cache of the day, when time is short and your looking to keep a streak going. But I have ran across some surprisingly good ones. Like finding a light pole in the middle of the woods, or some well thought out container that fits with the theme of the cache. I myself have one LPC that has 10 favorite points and I've given Favorite points to a couple here and there.

I do have one pet peeve, finding a camo'ed container under a skirt! Why?

My problem with them is the spew effect. Sure, a few can be fun, easy, whatever. But there is one cacher in my area who is currently canvassing the city with LPC's. It seems like 2-3 new ones a day. What happens is that soon the map is choked with LPCs and no one else can hide something more creative and interesting.

I actually do envy those who can truly enjoy every hide they encounter.

They have fun. Every single time. What's not to envy about that?

I have thought about this a few times. Wondered why, when I found a film can with a soggy log, I have felt disappointed, but still enjoyed the find.

What appeals to me about this game is not one thing, but several. If a cache fits one niche, but not another, I can still like it.

My favorite finds have always been what "I" feel is what geocaching really is about. A nice hike, a waterproof container hidden hopefully in an interesting spot.

However, a small cache hidden under a lamp post, touches another spot on my feelings. Maybe that feeling of being in on a secret, or taking me back to when I read a lot of spy novels.

Like you said, "they have fun". What's fun for one, may not be for another. No right or wrong.

No. Everyone has different caching goals. Mine, currently is to go 183 consecutive days, which has required quite a few easy skirt lifters.

You're bumping a lot of old threads lately, you know. :lol: In the grand scheme of things, only a teeny percentage of highly active premium members of this website have any sort of "geosteaks" going, or are interested in doing such a thing. I've never liked how so many of this small fringe element seem to like to justify the tens of thousands of LPC's because they're great for their personal Geostreaks. But feel free to flame away at me if you're part of this small fringe element. :ph34r:

Sorry... I just discovered the forums and got over excited and forgot to check the dates of posts... :unsure:

No flaming. Just here to learn and hear from other cachers. I think it's awesome to see what everyone has to say, especially as a little baby cacher (I know I have a lot to learn). :)

Edited by Annawashere

= Condescending

= Condescending

Are you even familiar with the meaning of 'condescend'...? Nothing I hate worse than those affecting an air of smug superiority, which is exactly what I was responding to in your post...whether you admit to it or not.

= Condescending

= Condescending

Are you even familiar with the meaning of 'condescend'...?

Why yes, I am. Thank you for asking. :)

For those who remain unfamiliar with the term, there are two available outlets;

1 ) Look up the word in Websters.

2 ) Read your posts.

the first LPC we found was in Florida, we had alot of fun with it,

we found alot of them on our vacation there,

we did not get tired of them,

Kudos, Sir!

It is a rare occasion that I meet someone who can tolerate tedium for an extended time frame. I certainly never learned that trick. When I encounter something as mind numbing as a crappy container, in an uninspiring location such as 500 acres of sweltering, exhaust laden blacktop teaming with soccer mom driven SUVs, my only thought is to get as far away from there as possible, as quickly as possible. I hope you recognize how unique you really are, and congratulate yourself accordingly. Your steadfast resilience reminds me of a gag business card a fiend gave me long ago. On the front, it said, "Would you like to know how to keep a Scot amused for hours? (I'm Scottish) Turn card over for answer!" On the back was written the exact same thing. I could only flip it once. I would be quite jealous of someone who could sit there, perfectly content, flipping that card for days on end.

Clan Riffster, FWIW, I followed your advice and looked up the definition of "condescend". Surprisingly, the definition listed the above quote as an example.

I will take my kids to LPCs if we realize too late what it is while caching. We will also stop at them if we are within feet of one while doing something else. They like increasing their count and getting closer to getting another inscribed achievement geocoin. My problem with them is the container is usually craptastic. If the container was cool in some way, then I would enjoy it. Either give me a nice container, a nice location, or a nice trek.

Edited by fbingha

Either give me a nice container, a nice location, or a nice trek.

Exactly. At a local level, it seems that the folks who create LPCs don't grasp that concept. They've already eliminated any chance of a nice location or a nice trek, save for those who are inspired by 500 acres of exhaust laden, sweltering blacktop, bristling with soccer mom driven SUVs. Why must they invariably eliminate the nice container from that Trifecta? I figure it's either ignorance, (don't know), or apathy, (don't care), one of which is fixable.

In these forums I've seen some really great LPCs.

I fear I may never see one in person... :unsure::(

I really appreciate LPCs when I'm looking for a quick cache. If I'm new to an area (I travel a lot for work) and in between meetings, I love being able to just grab a quick cache. It's useful for calendar challenges. It's useful for distance travelled challenges. Etc.

Are they my favorite type of hide? Absolutely not!!! Am I glad they exist? Absolutely!

Rather than whine about "people keep publishing LPCs", why not try to drown out the noise by planting a lot of great quality caches. Be part of the solution - not just a whiner.

My 2 cents...

Nipple deep in an alligator infested swamp is much more safer, and more prefererable than a LPC in a Walmart or Target parking lot on the eve of Good Friday.

Sure, but come back two days later in the morning and that Target cache is the safest location around. Plus, I can take my two preschoolers to that one without the fear of disentery.

The bolded part is my favorite part of this game. I actually thing that this is the very thing that differs between people like me and those like CR.

I'm thinking that you don't read your own posts.

Sorry... I just discovered the forums and got over excited and forgot to check the dates of posts... :unsure:

No flaming. Just here to learn and hear from other cachers. I think it's awesome to see what everyone has to say, especially as a little baby cacher (I know I have a lot to learn). :)

You bumped a thread that had only been inactive for a month. I'm not seeing a problem with that. Others bump threads that are much longer dead. Even this thread was recently bumped after being inactive for over a year.

I'm thinking that you don't read your own posts.

*Chortle* :lol::rolleyes:

"Hi Pot! Have you met my friend Kettle?" <_<

If your local community is about hanging you for your 1,000 lamp post caches - feel free to hide a couple of such stashes in our area. There are still no caches of this kind here :)

:anibad: Very funny. I did a Google Street View of Moscow and discovered why there are no such caches of this kind over there. I'd like to see someone try to place one.

I had to take a look. Wow. There are cameras everywhere. =o

dont you just hate all the forum threads with the topic:

dont You hate Lamp post hides

if you HATE anything about geocaching.. go find another hobby..

if there are things you like less than other things, fine, select what you do,

so you focus on stuff you like most..

Don't you hate any topic started by an OP with the temerity to hold an opinion contrary to your own? I wonder if you found my account on the Food Network forums, would you flame me for expressing my dislike of cabbage? Or just tell me not to eat?

(Actually, given the size of my waist, that might not be such bad advice) :unsure::lol:

Don't you hate any topic started by an OP with the temerity to hold an opinion contrary to your own? I wonder if you found my account on the Food Network forums, would you flame me for expressing my dislike of cabbage? Or just tell me not to eat?

(Actually, given the size of my waist, that might not be such bad advice) :unsure::lol:

You have to admit.... this particular topic has been done to death. 100s of times. Certainly someone should be able to scan just the first page or 2 of this forum and see the exact same whine.

You have to admit.... this particular topic has been done to death. 100s of times. Certainly someone should be able to scan just the first page or 2 of this forum and see the exact same whine.

I think it's a reflection of how crappy they are. :lol:

There are very few threads dedicated to folks hating ammo cans in scenic locations. :)

if you HATE anything about geocaching.. go find another hobby..

I hate bombs being placed in geocaches in Afganistan. Great...now I have to stop geocaching. I suppose you don't hate that sort of thing, or are you going to stop geocaching, too?

OZ2CPU does an absolutely awesome job of interacting in an English language forum dominated by American's and Canadian's, but sometimes I think there may be some translation issues going on. Or maybe not. :P

cool debate :-)

lets keep it clean,

allright when it come to HATE, I think it is a really big word to use,

when some talk about things that are more or less a normal thing about geocaching..

YES, I too HATE people who put bombs in geocaches, and I hate bombs, and I hate dog poo, and I hate dog owners who dont pick it up..

but when it come to geocaching, a few cache types I like a bit less than others, so I try to select the types I like the most,

what I like of geocaches also change quite abit depending my mood or desire or my location or the people I go out with,

geocaching is mostly about having fun outdoors, not sit and complain behind a PC :-)

lets make alot of the cache types we like others to enjoy the most..

lets keep it clean,

when some talk about things that are more or less a normal thing about geocaching..

YES, I too HATE people who put bombs in geocaches, and I hate bombs, and I hate dog poo, and I hate dog owners who dont pick it up..

but when it come to geocaching, a few cache types I like a bit less than others, so I try to select the types I like the most,

what I like of geocaches also change quite abit depending my mood or desire or my location or the people I go out with,

geocaching is mostly about having fun outdoors, not sit and complain behind a PC :-)

lets make alot of the cache types we like others to enjoy the most..

How was that not clean? It was a compliment, even. So maybe things are lost in the translation. :D

Well, I actually do have a problem with the "if you hate anything about Geocaching, get another hobby" statement. Like right now there's a "what irks you the most" thread started by a very long tenured, well-known Geocacher. Neither he, nor anyone who has responded to that thread needs to quit geocaching, correct?

>It was a compliment

thanks alot buddy :-)

I think most people actually want the same thing,

when they talk about their dislike or hate or how they like this or that the most.

I am just a little bit tired about the same threads again and again :-)

it is too easy to complain in a forum, but why not try to actually do something about it ??

make an event, place alot of cool containers, alot of cool places, talk about how cool it all is, when caches are made like that,

or what ever it is people like the most, let it grow, let it shine, come on, you can do it,

no more complaints.

Edited by OZ2CPU

lets keep it clean,

:anibad: You're a good sport. I hope you know I was just teasing you.

All I'm saying, though, is that people are naturally going to dislike certain aspects to the game, or certain kinds of caches. It doesn't mean they need to leave the game. When their enjoyment of the game, over-all, is less than their dislike, then I might suggest finding another hobby.