dont You hate Lamp post hides

rollag

Pause for thought a moment on the very first LPC....

How innovative and clever was it back then?

I say this because my husband (now disabled) has been caching since the early days. He placed a LPC back in March 2006 when there was hardly a cache in the region.

He'd never seen a LPC so it was very much a unique concept and quite a clever hide when he placed it.

Seven years later I'm sure whoever started this thread would hate it because it's so boring and predictable!

Consider this too... Seven years ago it was placed in a construction area in a small town. That town over the next seven years became one of the fastest growing cities in the state, so yes... it's now a high muggle area.

Was it the first ever LPC?

Certainly in this region (coastal Georgia/ Savannah).

First overall? Well, if my husband had the idea to hide there it's quite possible someone else did too....

Caches evolve. So let's not be so quick to judge.

GCTWGR. Yes, it's premium. There was good reason.

Challenge: Can anyone find a LPC placed earlier than March 2006? (and is it still active?).

I appreciate straight forward conversation. Allow me to tip my hat to you and to your husband.

I say this because my husband (now disabled) has been caching since the early days. He placed a LPC back in March 2006 when there was hardly a cache in the region.

He'd never seen a LPC so it was very much a unique concept and quite a clever hide when he placed it.

Seven years later I'm sure whoever started this thread would hate it because it's so boring and predictable!

Consider this too... Seven years ago it was placed in a construction area in a small town. That town over the next seven years became one of the fastest growing cities in the state, so yes... it's now a high muggle area.

First overall? Well, if my husband had the idea to hide there it's quite possible someone else did too....

Challenge: Can anyone find a LPC placed earlier than March 2006? (and is it still active?).

I'd never be able to find it, but someone once posted a link for an LPC that was placed in California in 2002. I'm sure it's long since archived. I do remember it was not a micro, it was small tupperware. I also remember we speculated that it could have in fact been the first one ever.

My area was a little late with them t0o, they didn't start showing up until early 2005. I'm sure I could find one from 2005 that is still active, but I'm sure someone will come along and beat that big-time anyways. :P

Wow someone bumped a posting orginated in 2010. But I also see it gets reborn almost every year. I don't remember which thread I said it so I will say it again.

I may not like LPS hides (I have LPC that are not LPS hides) but they are good for something.

Finding caches on a rainy day and you don't want to go far from your car.

Good practice for beginners learning how to use your GPS.

Place to hide an easy cache for difficult puzzle.

I'd never be able to find it, but someone once posted a link for an LPC that was placed in California in 2002. I'm sure it's long since archived. I do remember it was not a micro, it was small tupperware. I also remember we speculated that it could have in fact been the first one ever.

My area was a little late with them t0o, they didn't start showing up until early 2005. I'm sure I could find one from 2005 that is still active, but I'm sure someone will come along and beat that big-time anyways. :P

possibly this one gc6459 I found it on 10-12-03, it was placed 06-15-02 and archived on 05-07-07

edit to add

probably not the first as I ran into Alamogul and BThomas later in the day and they had found it after I did and they seemed to know exactly where to look

Edited by vagabond

possibly this one gc6459 I found it on 10-12-03, it was placed 06-15-02 and archived on 05-07-07

edit to add

probably not the first as I ran into Alamogul and BThomas later in the day and they had found it after I did and they seemed to know exactly where to look

Winner!! That's it. I'll still never find the old thread, but I definitely remember the Street View of the cache in question. It was a 2002 placed LPC. I was mistaken, it was a decon container, not Tupperware. But I knew it wasn't a micro. Alamogul does in fact say in his October 2003 log that he had found "dozens" of that type of cache, but keep in mind he's the No. 1 cacher in the world, and travels extensively for caching. Here's the actual link to the cache

Yes. They are usually placed without property owner's permission. Have you been asked about your actions by the security guards at Wally*World lately? I have!!:mad:

if permission from property owners from assorted business (including LP caches) was actually asked for, about 20-40% of caches would never have been published.

I'm constantly asked by security/police what I'm doing. About 1 out of every 10 subuarban or urban caches like LPs, Guardrail, etc. type caches. Granted I'm also in the DC area....most paranoid area in regards to security there is.

Yes. They are usually placed without property owner's permission. Have you been asked about your actions by the security guards at Wally*World lately? I have!!:mad:

if permission from property owners from assorted business (including LP caches) was actually asked for, about 20-40% of caches would never have been published.

I'm constantly asked by security/police what I'm doing. About 1 out of every 10 subuarban or urban caches like LPs, Guardrail, etc. type caches. Granted I'm also in the DC area....most paranoid area in regards to security there is.

Personally I don't see the problem with fewer caches if it means they are coming out of the parking lot hides.

If I got questioned at 10% of the hides I searched for I'd have to reevaluate the caching I was doing. Either the caches are in poorly chosen locations or your methods appear suspicious to those who observe it.

I think it would be outrageously awesome if someone with too much money put a lamp post a hundred miles in the middle of the wilderness and then put a nano there!

:laughing: Assuming that it had proper permission I would add a favorites point.

I just knew it must have been done:

I co-hid a lamp post like that one, though mine was miles deep in a swamp.

And it had an ammo can chained to its base.

No nanos involved.

I think it would be outrageously awesome if someone with too much money put a lamp post a hundred miles in the middle of the wilderness and then put a nano there!

:laughing: Assuming that it had proper permission I would add a favorites point.

Visions of Narnia

Is that "a hundred miles in the middle of the wilderness" or just somebody's back yard?

I co-hid a lamp post like that one, though mine was miles deep in a swamp.

And it had an ammo can chained to its base.

No nanos involved.

While a prefer a larger cache I have often said, my distaste for micros is the usual locations you find them.

I'm not a fan of LPCs at all. Mainly for these reasons:

The skirt makes a LOUD noise when you move it.

They probably weren't placed with permission

And, did I mention, they're LOUD!

People look up from a hundred yards away to see what's making that horrible sheet-metal-grating-on-pole squak. Ugh.

Just filter for this attribute in your pocket query, and you should have no problem :ph34r: :

ec067412-dcaf-4758-88c0-be15586af732.gif

I once found an LPC where, as I was signing the log, someone crashed into the light post. Their car was pretty damaged by the concrete base; but after waiting a bit for them to leave, I put the caches back where I found it.

That's one thing about LPC, I have at least as many memories of great geocaching experiences from them as any other urban cache. I personally prefer hiking, so the ubiquitous and often easier to find UPR hide generally gives me a better experience.

Edited by tozainamboku

I once found an LPC where, as I was signing the log, someone crashed into the light post. Their car was pretty damaged by the concrete base; but after waiting a bit for them to leave, I put the caches back where I found it.

I still have fond memories of watching another cacher very carefully pull up closely to a LPC, as to lazily try to retrieve it without opening their door, and then watching as several bees suddenly appeared from it, causing them to pull away suddenly and scrape up the side of the car. :D

That's one thing about LPC, I have at least as many memories of great geocaching experiences from them as any other urban cache.

I'm actually jealous. With the explosion of Micro-Spew around me, I truly wish I could enjoy such odious hides.

Sadly, I fear I would need to give myself either a lobotomy or electroshock therapy, to do so. :unsure:

Personally I don't see the problem with fewer caches if it means they are coming out of the parking lot hides.

If I got questioned at 10% of the hides I searched for I'd have to reevaluate the caching I was doing. Either the caches are in poorly chosen locations or your methods appear suspicious to those who observe it.

12 years caching, over 6000 caches found, I've been questioned 1 time by an LEO, and he just wanted to see the contents of the pill bottle

Back when I was a new cacher and I found my first LPS hide, I lavished praises on it in my online log. I thought it was such a clever idea. The general location was absolutely rotten, but the use of an LPS seemed like a great idea. After finding so many more LPS caches over the years, the idea no longer seems clever. The merits of the cache are limited entirely to other things, like the location (a parking lot), or the contents (not much in a micro), when the hiding spot no longer seems like anything special.

I must say, though, that I later found a rather large cache with lots of swag hidden beneath an unusually large lamp post skirt. Someone saw that LPS and decided to take full advantage of it. Even my wife liked that one, and she won't normally have anything to do with an LPS cache.

I think the percentage would be even higher!

How innovative and clever was it back then?.

Lame. Even then.

A crappy container, in an uninspired location.

Major suckage.

My first was actually a good conatiner at a great location (nice view along a boardwalk). After that, there's only been one other skirt lifter that I appreciated (one out in the woods). All the others I have found were in the lame category.

People look up from a hundred yards away to see what's making that horrible sheet-metal-grating-on-pole squak. Ugh.

I've come to point that when I do an LPC, I try to make as much noise as possible, while looking like I am doing something I am supposed to be doing. No stealth invovled at all.

I think the percentage would be even higher!

I'm okay with that.

More is not necessarily better.

I've come to point that when I do an LPC, I try to make as much noise as possible, while looking like I am doing something I am supposed to be doing. No stealth invovled at all.

I just walk away. My rule for crappy caches is a simple one;

Don't hide 'em, don't hunt 'em, don't log 'em. :lol:

Less in not necessarily better, either.

ETA: Yes, we could trade examples to "prove" out own points, but let's not.

When CR rails against LPCs I always think to myself: Cache in a lamppost in a parking log vs. cache where you have to wade nipple deep in an alligator infested swamp. Which will have more people decide this is something they aren't going to look for?

Edited by tozainamboku

When CR rails against LPCs I always think to myself: Cache in a lamppost in a parking log vs. cache where you have to wade nipple deep in an alligator infested swamp. Which will have more people decide this is something they aren't going to look for?

Nipple deep in an alligator infested swamp is much more safer, and more prefererable than a LPC in a Walmart or Target parking lot on the eve of Good Friday.

Unless you get electrocuted, uncover a hornet's nest, or get arrested for tresspassing, when searching for the LPC, which one are you going to remember in 10 years?

It is sad commentary on people these days. Most would rather chase the mundane crap than experience anything off the sidewalk. But thank God they have people like you to laud the virtues of mediocrity while denigrating those who would promote something more.

It is sad commentary on people these days. Most would rather chase the mundane crap than experience anything off the sidewalk. But thank God they have people like you to laud the virtues of mediocrity while denigrating those who would promote something more.

Sorry you feel that I denigrated someone's preferences. If you look back in this thread you will see that even where I said that I have many memorable experieces searching for LPC caches, that I prefer hiking caches. I am perfectly aware that there are many people like CR who prefer to be nipple deep in alligator infested swamps that to be in a crowded parking lot full of shoppers. But even if you ignore the geocache, the fact that parking lot is full and that most people aren't about to wade into the swamp should be a indidication of where more people prefer to be.

Now, I'll grant that among geocachers there is a higher percentage of adventurous people who prefer swamps and wilderness to parking lots. But I'm pretty sure there are still going to be a lot more geocachers who prefer the lamppost cache to the one in the swamp. You can call this mediocrity, but to me is just sounds like denigrating someone with different tastes than yours. <_<

Unless you get electrocuted, uncover a hornet's nest, or get arrested for tresspassing, when searching for the LPC, which one are you going to remember in 10 years?

That. Right there.

Toz seems to place some bizarre value on the number of people who find a particular cache.

Which is fine. We all have our quirks. Nothing wrong with that.

But I don't consider a film can found 800 times to have more 'worth' than an ammo can found 8 times, during the same period.

Rather, I believe the reverse is true.

I measure the value of a cache by the memories it gave me.

So you're in a parking lot lifting up that lamp skirt when the all female Swedish streaking team runs by, is an LPC now your favorite cache?

No.

Ditto...though I may consider patronizing that store more often...

Edited by J Grouchy

So you're in a parking lot lifting up that lamp skirt when the all female Swedish streaking team runs by, is an LPC now your favorite cache?

No.

Hmmm, oh well, as Jerry Seinfeld once said: "not that there's anything wrong with that".

If you mean is that particular LPC a favorite, well duh! Seriously, I would favorite it. That doesn't mean I will consider LPCs as high probability candidates for future favorites. Finding good caches is all about using the tools we are given to increase the odds of having a good time. For us, it's a combo of D/T and favorite votes. We still visit a few stinkers and hear about others that we passed on. But for the most part, our simple method is working.

Edited by Sharks-N-Beans

No.

Hmmm, oh well, as Jerry Seinfeld once said: "not that there's anything wrong with that".

hmmm...not particularly quick on the uptake...

I still have fond memories of watching another cacher very carefully pull up closely to a LPC, as to lazily try to retrieve it without opening their door, and then watching as several bees suddenly appeared from it, causing them to pull away suddenly and scrape up the side of the car. :D

I was looking for a cache in California last week. I learned a valuble lesson regarding LPCs.

It was not an LPC, but was close to a lamp post.

Upon lifting the skirt to check about 100 writhing bugs escaped in all directions. EEEEP!

I guess bees would have been worse.

Shaun

Lamp post caches are like taxes. You hate them, but you still do them.

Do I now?

Last week I took my son to a water park about 4 hours away and stopped on the way back at a rest stop. I brought up the GPS app on my phone to see if there were any caches nearby. It showed one about 30' from where I parked. There was a light post about 30' from where I stood and a few small trees a bit further away. I didn't even bother lifting the skirt even though I got to within 5 feet of it.

the first LPC we found was in Florida, we had alot of fun with it,

we found alot of them on our vacation there,

we did not get tired of them,

we even had a little extra fun with a few of them,

like see if we can find and sign them compleetly drive by not leaving the car,

we also found some funny animals in a few.

we also play a few extra games, like how many can you find in a day

or how many days in a row can you find at least one,

if you play any of those games, the (lame) LPC can be turned into the one closest for the day

actually saving your day and your stats :-)

and wife love to shop, and I love to find caches,

so the PNG/LPC at shopping areas are welcome if you ask us,

the people who dont like them, can easily unselect them.

so if this thread is all about, hey lets all hate something it just dont work on us,

a LPC is alot better over no cache at all.

Edited by OZ2CPU