dont You hate Lamp post hides

rollag

1. What are the 'skirts' for? Are they to cover the bolts to stop folk tripping over them?

The SKIRTS are to provide a wonderful nesting place for bees, hornets, wasps, and all kinds of nasty critters. Imagine the joy in lifting one of these squeaky things and being greeted by the stinging swarm that lie in wait. Also imagine the joy of muggles as they watch you hop around the lightpole, slapping yourself silly all over your body, as you fall to the ground. STOP, DROP, AND ROLL isn't just for fires any more. LPCs have to be geocaching's greatest practical joke.

The first one we found was a memorial for a young boy geocacher who loved LPC's. It took us a while to find, it was in a park near a walkway, and we first looked in all the bushes and electrical devices (almost got stung by wasps in said electrical devices. Then I stood back and noticed the Lamp post 10 feet from where we were searching. The kids and my mom were shocked it was there. It was a cold cream container big enough for travel bugs, too. SO that first one was neat.

The rest have been boring to me, but lots of people who can't hike long distances or climb through difficult terrain enjoy them. Also I would love to find a creative one with a cute theme involved. I've found a few Easter egg containers in LPC's near Chick-fil-A restaurants.

The only thing I don't like about them is there are SO many of them, it takes away from the places left to put a bigger cache. (cache saturated area)

but lots of people who can't hike long distances or climb through difficult terrain enjoy them.

Just to touch on one point; As an old, fat crippled guy with a smelly hat, if I were ever physically unable to do anything but 1/1.5 terrain caches, and all that was available were those hides utterly devoid of even a hint of creativity, I would likely find another hobby. Being crippled does not mean I appreciate lameness. It is quite possible to create a hide that is easy to access, while being challenging to find. For those considering hiding caches for us cripples, please don't assume that we gave up our ability to enjoy creativity along with our ability to hike. ;)

Rant mode off. :)

You gotta mix it up for LPCs.

Wear a military uniform in the People's Republic of Portland and try to find an LPC in direct sight of the exit of a Home Depot at 7:00am on a Saturday morning or next to a busy road at 5:15pm on a weekday.

Nope. Doesn't work all the time. I was in full BDU's during my lunch hour on an Army Reserve weekend when I had my worst ever encounter with LEO's, and was detained and interogated by the entire first shift of the Clark, N.J. PD for 15 minutes while Geocaching. It wasn't an LPC, but it was a bad kid hide in the woods near a middle school. ;)

This can be the same or similar issue, depending on what's been happening in the SF Bay Area - we get our share of whackos who dress in military garb and fancy themselves a survivalist, uber-patriot or anything else, just a bit too off camber. Cops would rather play 21 questions than be the ones who didn't stop the pipe-bomber or child abductor. Too many sad stories in the news, lately.

Re-reading bramasoleiowa's post, maybe he wasn't saying that it's easier to grab LPC's while in military uniform. I totally agree with what you are saying here, anyone can buy military garb, and there are some real whacko's out there.

I have however got off of 2 speeding tickets while in military uniform. But of course there was the one time I just had them hanging up in the back seat, and that didn't work. :)

but lots of people who can't hike long distances or climb through difficult terrain enjoy them.

Just to touch on one point; As an old, fat crippled guy with a smelly hat, if I were ever physically unable to do anything but 1/1.5 terrain caches, and all that was available were those hides utterly devoid of even a hint of creativity, I would likely find another hobby. Being crippled does not mean I appreciate lameness. It is quite possible to create a hide that is easy to access, while being challenging to find. For those considering hiding caches for us cripples, please don't assume that we gave up our ability to enjoy creativity along with our ability to hike. :sad:

Rant mode off. :laughing:

As a counterpoint, it should be noted that I never really cared too much for easy micros like LPCs until I had my accident. They sure did make my recovery more bearable, however.

I've only found one LPC (we don't have them in the UK). It was near Chicago, and it was fun as it was one of my first finds, I was with friends, and we had just come from a wine tasting. :laughing:

I would not like them I'm sure in general; as I much prefer rural hides to urban/suburban ones, and I don't much like having to use stealth. It seems to me that lifting those things up would call attention to oneself.. especially if that tends to make a noise (as has been suggested by others in this thread).

1. What are the 'skirts' for? Are they to cover the bolts to stop folk tripping over them?

The SKIRTS are to provide a wonderful nesting place for bees, hornets, wasps, and all kinds of nasty critters. Imagine the joy in lifting one of these squeaky things and being greeted by the stinging swarm that lie in wait. Also imagine the joy of muggles as they watch you hop around the lightpole, slapping yourself silly all over your body, as you fall to the ground. STOP, DROP, AND ROLL isn't just for fires any more. LPCs have to be geocaching's greatest practical joke.

Just to add my two cents, I could take them or leave them. But one thing is for sure, I've stuck my hand in more wasp and yellowjacket nests under old park benches and hanging on the bolt of stop signs than I ever have in a skirt. As a matter of fact, just happened this last Saturday. Good thing it's only 12 degrees F outside right now. And to tick off the animal rights folks, I made sure that I pulled down the nest with my pocket knife.

Just to touch on one point; As an old, fat crippled guy with a smelly hat, if I were ever physically unable to do anything but 1/1.5 terrain caches, and all that was available were those hides utterly devoid of even a hint of creativity, I would likely find another hobby. Being crippled does not mean I appreciate lameness. It is quite possible to create a hide that is easy to access, while being challenging to find. For those considering hiding caches for us cripples, please don't assume that we gave up our ability to enjoy creativity along with our ability to hike. :sad:

Rant mode off. :laughing:

I spent much of 2008 and 2009 on crutches. Because I was temporarily disabled I didn't suddenly develop an affinity for visiting parking lots and strip malls and flitting between lamp posts. I did lament the dearth of easily accessible caches that were in interesting places or challenging to find.

Assuming that because someone is disabled he should be happy with the lowest common denominator in geocaching is incredibly patronizing.

Edited by briansnat

"As much as I dislike LPCs, I will still seek them on occasion. In contrast, I have no patience for fake rocks hidden among a pile of real rocks and will walk away as soon as I realize that is the probable nature of the hide."

Is this in reference to mine. The use of the word stone is because it is in the Stone Hill Town Center shopping area. The only rock one is a real rock with a container attached to it. I still defend this series.

"As much as I dislike LPCs, I will still seek them on occasion. In contrast, I have no patience for fake rocks hidden among a pile of real rocks and will walk away as soon as I realize that is the probable nature of the hide."

Is this in reference to mine. The use of the word stone is because it is in the Stone Hill Town Center shopping area. The only rock one is a real rock with a container attached to it. I still defend this series.

I doubt it. But there's probably some confusion. Your not posting with the account that placed that cache and has like 3,000 finds and 400 hides. I'm sure you're not Ringbone though or anything. :anicute:

Nope. I live in Maryland and I suspect you are referring to a cache in Texas. I mean no disrespect to the hiders of this type of cache so you have nothing to defend. I am merely expressing my preference with respect to the types of hides I dislike. There are undoubtedly folks who like to search for a rock among rocks; I am just not one of them.

i don't like them... but i don't hate them either.

what i hate about LPCs is that when one disappears and the cache owner is long gone from caching... and someone within the caching community thinks it is their duty to keep it maintained (although not really a permanent solution).

i'm starting to see areas where it would be cool to have a different cache type (like a puzzle or a multi) without using an LPC only to realize that you'd be too close to that LPC that someone who hasn't cached in 3 years put out as a gag 4 years ago.

:anicute:

i don't like them... but i don't hate them either.

what i hate about LPCs is that when one disappears and the cache owner is long gone from caching... and someone within the caching community thinks it is their duty to keep it maintained (although not really a permanent solution).

i'm starting to see areas where it would be cool to have a different cache type (like a puzzle or a multi) without using an LPC only to realize that you'd be too close to that LPC that someone who hasn't cached in 3 years put out as a gag 4 years ago.

:anicute:

A person finds a cache that he likes. It later needs maintenance. The person provides said maintenance for the cache that he enjoyed.

I don't see the problem.

Last week while I was out of town, using LPs to raise my number of state/countys with finds, I stumbled across a really good one. I thought it showed thought and originality. GC1WYDF is a good example of some real fun to be had with the simple LP.

I'm not saying there are many thoughtfully placed ones out there but they serve their purpose

I'm a newbie and of my first 6 finds, 2 of them were lamp post and flag pole finds respectively.

I wish I had know about the skirts before I went out.

I looked through large planters, trash cans, etc.

It wasn't until I read over the long description again that it hit me to see if the skirts on the flag poles raised.....they did and there was a micro under each one.

The third one was the correct one.

It was a nice find for a newbie and great for new cachers to cut their teeth on.

It may also be good for multi puzzles(wild goose chase).

I don't hate the LPC's. I am fairly knew at the game and have found a few of them. I wouldn't have known to look if it weren't for topics on this forum about them.

That being said, the best time to get these are on road trips. Where you have to stop for gas or food, you can generally grab a quick cache then hit the road again.

Depends on the location because I believe geocache placement should be all about location. Please take me to an area that features a great view, a historic site, an oddity, a cool geological feature, an area of special interest, or a pleasant walk through an area I wouldnt have otherwise known about. It doesnt have to be a place of outstanding beauty, but it should be a cut above the ordinary and will make me say "cool! (apologies to Briansnat)

I "favorited" my first LPC ever because it offers a sweeping 360° view of the city of Anchorage, four mountain ranges, three volcanoes, and North America's tallest mountain. GC12EA

Edited by Ladybug Kids

LPCs actually scare me, for some reason. I'm afraid that something is going to jump out from under the skirt and attack me.

This actually makes them exciting for me, though! Go figure. :)

I carry a stick in my backpack for such instances. I worry less about bugs and spiders than being caught in the act and having to explain what I'm doing.

I may be condemned for this, but...

I used my extra 'favorite' votes on a series of LPC's where the containers are rubber ducks or rubber fish. Each one is unique, they are cute, the owner maintains them, the logs are almost always dry and the titles make me chuckle. The CO buys quality tubes, modifies the item, and glues them in. I figure the extra thought and effort should be rewarded. They beat the heck out the rest in their category.

I don't hate LPC hides at all. I enjoy finding them, and I enjoy knowing they're there. I like finding a cache under a lamp, signing it, and passing by it everday after that and seeing all the people walking by not knowing the treasure that's so close. I think that's kind of the joy of urban caching.

As for the whole safety issue.. I think it's really a non-issue. I've never lifted one of those skirts and found exposed wiring. If you did, the whole light post would probably fry you as soon as you touched the outside of it anyway! And the threat of bees and wasp and bugs and spiders.. Ok, like you're more likely to find these creatures under a lamp skirt than in a tree or the woods?

You can have your preference to easy or hard caches. LPC's or ammo cans. Or whatever else.. When it comes down to it, whatever you think is fun, go for it!

..Oh, and I have to say it just one more time.. Don't you guys find joy out of seeing people walk past a cache that you've found that's so simple to get to... and they have absolutely no idea?! That's the whole thing i love about geocaching.

Easy after you've done a bunch. I don't mind them because sometimes we're out of town and you can always count on one at Walmart no matter where you are. If my daughter is with us we quietly figure out which post it's at and race to see who gets it first. I wonder if anyone has witnessed our crazy antics :unsure:

I don't mind them much at all, for two reasons.

Reason #1, I cache with my young son. When we were starting out, the LPC's were a great way to start out a caching trip, an easy smiley so that if we happen to DNF any of the other caches of the day, we were pretty much guaranteed a smiley. He's since grown quite a bit, and his skills have improved drastically. (as in he usually makes the find before I do now!)

Reason #2, they are great 'teaching' caches. There is a series of easy caches with some LPC's in the group that is near my house that I am using to introduce new cachers to the hobby. Lets them get the feel of using the GPS unit, the excitement of making their first find, and there isn't a lot of driving or long hikes to an unknown to have your newbies end up with a DNF or a muggled cache. ( can check them easily enough before taking the new folks out) What makes it even better is that there is the typical 'skirt' hide, (one of them being a MKH stuck up UNDER the skirt..so just lifting and looking won't do.) and one that is an easy multi in that group. All of them together will probably take a little over an hour or so to find.

I don't have a problem with them at all and think they are pretty useful actually. Some of them can be pretty trick too. A LPC in a HIGH muggle area can be difficult to retrieve and replace without being seen. I rather liked the link posted earlier of the roulette LPC. I think I will borrow that idea for an area around here. :)

Pause for thought a moment on the very first LPC....

How innovative and clever was it back then?

I say this because my husband (now disabled) has been caching since the early days. He placed a LPC back in March 2006 when there was hardly a cache in the region.

He'd never seen a LPC so it was very much a unique concept and quite a clever hide when he placed it.

Seven years later I'm sure whoever started this thread would hate it because it's so boring and predictable!

Consider this too... Seven years ago it was placed in a construction area in a small town. That town over the next seven years became one of the fastest growing cities in the state, so yes... it's now a high muggle area.

Was it the first ever LPC?

Certainly in this region (coastal Georgia/ Savannah).

First overall? Well, if my husband had the idea to hide there it's quite possible someone else did too....

Caches evolve. So let's not be so quick to judge.

GCTWGR. Yes, it's premium. There was good reason.

Challenge: Can anyone find a LPC placed earlier than March 2006? (and is it still active?).