dont You hate Lamp post hides

rollag

Do you hate how easy lamp post hides are?

I Like them. There are some days I cannot get around well enought to hike anything past a 2 terrain, so I appreciate the smiley even more on those days.

Since I just had knee surgery last week, they may be one of the ways I can get my "fix" in, LOL! :)

PC

We started caching in Germany, so they were a novelty when we found our first one. They don't build lamp posts the same there. But now they're getting pretty old. Good for the cache and dash, as pointed out above.

At this point, I try to guess which side it will be on so I can pull right up next to it and just open the car window and grab it without leaving the car. Lazy hides invite lazy finds.

:) Don't you just hate how easy it is for a frog to eat ice cream?

Some people enjoy easy caches. And besides if you have never seen a lamp post hide before (and don't hang out in the forums too much) they can be pretty difficult. Most people don't realize these skirts lift up.

Each cache has a difficulty rating. If you enjoy more challenging caches I suggest you ignore cacnes with lower ratings. Now because lamp post caches are hidden and there may be several locations you need to search, a few will be rated 2 or even 3 stars. So you won't eliminate all lamp post caches this way. However, when you are looking for a cache and your GPS takes you to a parking lot and is pointing to a lamp post, its pretty easy to just press a button and start looking for the next cache.

Some people complain not that LPCs are easy, but that they are boring. I don't find them boring at all. I've seen an endless variation of different containers and even different ways to hide the cache inside (or sometimes outside) the skirt. I've also found a few of these

:) Don't you just hate how easy it is for a frog to eat ice cream?

Some people enjoy easy caches. And besides if you have never seen a lamp post hide before (and don't hang out in the forums too much) they can be pretty difficult. Most people don't realize these skirts lift up.

Each cache has a difficulty rating. If you enjoy more challenging caches I suggest you ignore cacnes with lower ratings. Now because lamp post caches are hidden and there may be several locations you need to search, a few will be rated 2 or even 3 stars. So you won't eliminate all lamp post caches this way. However, when you are looking for a cache and your GPS takes you to a parking lot and is pointing to a lamp post, its pretty easy to just press a button and start looking for the next cache.

Some people complain not that LPCs are easy, but that they are boring. I don't find them boring at all. I've seen an endless variation of different containers and even different ways to hide the cache inside (or sometimes outside) the skirt. I've also found a few of these

Those are awesome!

Cacheketball Rules:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

- Minimum of two vehicles, no maximum

- Cachers are not permitted to exit the vehicle at any time. Cacher must remain inside or on vehicle during the game.

- One cacher retrieves cache from lamp post.

- Cachers in vehicle which retrieved cache are not permitted to sign the group in

- Cache is passed (tossed) to all vehicles in group. Last car signs in the group.

- If cache is dropped, or misses a vehicle, cachers must reorient vehicles and retrieve without exiting the vehicle.

- Cache must not be run over by vehicle.

- Bonus points for tossing through open sunroof.

- Cache must be returned to original vehicle for replacement under lamp post.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Lamp posts are WAY more fun when you have four vehicles and a game of Cacheketball! I can only imagine what the store security people think when they see the tape.

Do you hate how easy lamp post hides are?

Not really. In most cases, the difficulty rating is accurate on the cache page, so I know what I'm getting into before I get there. Since I'm not a fan of P&Gs, I tend to avoid them, but I do so without a lot of animosity. If I had to list my reasons for disliking them, in order of dislike, it would probably look like; Uninspired location, as a parking lot is not somewhere I want to spend my valuable recreational time. Crappy container, as, to date, every single lamp post hide I have looked at has used either a black and grey film can, an Altoids tin or a hide-a-key, all of which suck. Write ups which do little but proclaim that here lies another crappy container placed just to increase your find count. And lastly, hide technique, which I think is the only thing even remotely clever about them.

Note: These opinions are based entirely upon my own personal caching aesthetic, and as such, only apply to me.

Don't hate. (Repeating others here...)

• Nice to get after a string of DNF's
  • Something to grab in bad weather
  • Something to grab at night
  • Something to do while waiting for the wife to finish shopping
  • They are great for those JUST starting out
  • They are something you can do when you only have a few extra minutes
  • I can always choose to not do them

Don't hate. (Repeating others here...)

• Nice to get after a string of DNF's---Why, you still had the DNF's
  • Something to grab in bad weather---Why, to get a smilie (add to count total)
  • Something to grab at night----Night does offer some added interest for some hides, but LPC's are the same to me
  • Something to do while waiting for the wife to finish shopping--Still not sure the appeal exept to increase find count
  • They are great for those JUST starting out--I agree, I thought my first one was great
  • They are something you can do when you only have a few extra minutes--Again, not sure what people get out of them except an increase of find count.
  • I can always choose to not do them--Very true, once you identify them, sometimes after driving to the location.

I don't have an issue with LPC's or other PNG's except that most are mindless and are exploding in numbers (which I believe is bad for geocaching). I enjoy a well hidden urban cache, even nano's. I don't understand what anyone gets out of LPC's after the newness wears off, except for continuing of a certain stat, or an easy number increase. A lot of the same people on here who are pro the right of those who choose to not sign the log and count a find and admonish those who are cache nazi's and say geocaching isn't competitive or about numbers, are the same people who support LPC's which are mainly a numbers grab type cache.

I don't hate them. They haven't really taken off here so there's limited numbers of them. Just a small handful. Most people throw their pill bottles into pine trees before they'll throw them into a lamp post skirt here.

My mom can get to them which is always nice as well. She has some mobility issues but enjoys caching a lot and having caches she can access and find is always great.

I hate that they are almost always on private property without permission.

The two I found were in parks so I lucked out there.

The two I have found, one was in a large city mall's parking lot (almost certain no permission there), and one was in a grociry store parking lot in a small city or large town (maybe it had permission, I would give it about 7% chance)

What really bugs me about LPCs is the seemingly lack of thought that goes into many of them. I usually invest several hours in choosing my locations and try to present a beautiful or interesting location and often hidden in some interesting way. When I encounter a typical LPC it usually seems that none of the above were considered. I guess it comes down at least partly to whether you are relatively more interested in supporting numbers cachers vs those looking for something a bit more stimulating. The issue with LPCs isn't just that they seemingly are usually placed without "adequate permission"; indeed, I recently encountered a very clever hide behind a K Mart.

(Full disclosure -- I occasionally grab LPCs, but mainly if there is nothing else better around).

Edited by Geo Peeps

I don't know - we don't have them. :laughing:

Do they make them large enough to put TBs into them?

MrsB

I've seen one that was big enough to put TBs in. It was a fairly unique container though and it wouldn't work in the vast majority of cases, the only reason it worked in this one was because the COs run the store where it is hidden and can maintain it on a daily basis if needed. That one is pretty cool because of the swag that they put in it, at least for those of us that collect the patches and such that they put in it. I liked that one.

A pill bottle with nothing but a log and an occupied wasp nest on the other hand.... I hate those. I don't mind spiders, I can out run all of those and whip most of them in a fair fight but wasps are faster and I'm allergic. Unless I have reason to believe there something interesting in the cache I just drive on by.

Depends on the day. Sometimes I want a challenge. Other times I want a P&G.

Since the winter months have arrived for many of us, I think a lot of us would be fairly pleased not to have to spend too much time in the sub-freezing temps to grab a cache. :laughing:

Heck! I'm itching to get the snowshoes out. I've never been questioned by security or the police when caching on my snowshoes. :laughing:

Since the winter months have arrived for many of us, I think a lot of us would be fairly pleased not to have to spend too much time in the sub-freezing temps to grab a cache. :laughing:

Heck! I'm itching to get the snowshoes out. I've never been questioned by security or the police when caching on my snowshoes. :laughing:

This is so true!

Speaking of winter caching though, when LPCs are underneath a huge snowbank they're MUCH more challenging.

I really don't mind them, we take them in moderation. I do have to say that in our experience the LPHs seem to not get muggled as much. The Bomb squads like them also. We have a couple mystery hides that grid a parking lot with like 50 light poles and you have to find the right light to find the cache. http://coord.info/GC2ATPH :laughing: We had a couple LPHs but we archieved them because we didn't have permission from the actual property owner. Renters don't count as property owners. I have to admit one of our first DNFs was a light pole hide. The coords had us in the parking lot, we were like what is up with this hide. Came back after someone found it and the same thing middle of the parking lot. Went to the light pole and started looking, touched the skirt and it moved. Lifted the cover and there was the cache. We thought this was SO cool. They are still fun. This game is what YOU make of it. Have fun and enjoy the outdoors.

Edited by the4dirtydogs

In close to a thousand cache hunts I've been questioned by security or police once and his questioning had nothing to do with the cache.

And I'm with you on winter caching. It's my favorite time of year to geocache. Give me snow on the ground and sub freezing temps and I'm a happy cacher.

As far as the OP's topic of LPCs,I have no problem with them per se, but they generally are not in the kinds of places that I enjoy caching. Strip malls and Home Depot or WalMart parking lots offer nothing to me so if my GPS points to one, I move along. I think I have maybe 4 or 5 LPC finds out of my total.

Edited by briansnat

Personally they bore me. I probably have 150 such finds, but hate them? No. They are complete mundane and unimaginative, but the COs never profess them to be exciting or imaginative. They are what they are, easy finds. I think they are better if its the end of a puzzle though.

I admit, the more I have done them, the less I have tried to make sure every conceivable muggle eye is not looking within 300 yards.

Edited by lamoracke

If you wore them in a Walmart parking lot, you probably wouldn't get a second look. Just another day at Wally World...

Personally they bore me. I probably have 150 such finds, but hate them? No. They are complete mundane and unimaginative, but the COs never profess them to be exciting or imaginative. They are what they are, easy finds. I think they are better if its the end of a puzzle though.

I admit, the more I have done them, the less I have tried to make sure every conceivable muggle eye is not looking within 300 yards.

It's WAY more fun to see how loud you can make the lamppost screech as you lift it up. Also fun is letting it rattle all the way back down. This is why plastic lamppost skirts are no fun.

I like all types of caches and hides...some more than others, but I take each of them for what it is. I find the lamp post hides can be boring, but they are good when I am running errands or just want to go find a cache but dont have a lot of time on my hands. Plus these types can be a challenge if they are in a busy parking lot...

Probably a good place to ask some things I have often wondered. The answers are not going to change my life in any way but you know how it is when you get curious about something really unimportant and google won't come to the rescue :laughing:

1. What are the 'skirts' for? Are they to cover the bolts to stop folk tripping over them?

2. Are the skirts as heavy as they look in photos I have seen? They look like cast iron.

3. If they are as heavy as they look, is it common to trap a finger or two as you drop them back in place? Or do they have handles of some kind?

4. Once you have lifted them and can see the cache, do they stay up on their own or do you have to hold them up with one hand and grab the cache with the other?

5. Do all lamp posts in the USA have this skirt design, or only ones in parking lots, or only specific states?

Thanks to anyone who can cure my curiosity :laughing: