Yet another rating system

The best cache finds IMO are those that have'nt been found for weeks or months not those that have already been found three times today.

Hence - and the programmers out there will tell me if this is possible -

Rate the cache according to the last time it was found - 1 point for 1 or 2 days ago

2 points for 3 - 7 days

3 points for upto 2 weeks

4 for less than a month

etc etc

up to 20 points for more than a year (or something similar)

This would help those caches in unpopulated or fairly cacheless areas be visited more often

It would reduce the worth of the 20 caches along the three mile walk

It would add another aspect to the which shall we choose to visit - and perhaps disappointment when you found the rarely visited cache was found yesterday (Honesty needed here)

It would retain the effect of the T/D ratings as the more difficult ones would be found less often

Logs on the same day would be discounted as a: there is only date ordering on the site not time b: Multiple cachers could all log it and get the points

Mygeocachingprofile.com would probably do the stats (if asked nicely)

Bonus point could be awarded for FTF Maybe 10 first 5 second 2 third

Just an idea

The best cache finds IMO are those that have'nt been found for weeks or months not those that have already been found three times today.

Hence - and the programmers out there will tell me if this is possible -

Rate the cache according to the last time it was found - 1 point for 1 or 2 days ago

2 points for 3 - 7 days

3 points for upto 2 weeks

4 for less than a month

etc etc

up to 20 points for more than a year (or something similar)

This would help those caches in unpopulated or fairly cacheless areas be visited more often

It would reduce the worth of the 20 caches along the three mile walk

It would add another aspect to the which shall we choose to visit - and perhaps disappointment when you found the rarely visited cache was found yesterday (Honesty needed here)

It would retain the effect of the T/D ratings as the more difficult ones would be found less often

Logs on the same day would be discounted as a: there is only date ordering on the site not time b: Multiple cachers could all log it and get the points

Mygeocachingprofile.com would probably do the stats (if asked nicely)

Bonus point could be awarded for FTF Maybe 10 first 5 second 2 third

Just an idea

What about backdating. Will I lose points if someone back dates an old find?

What about backdating. Will I lose points if someone back dates an old find?

I'd thought about this - arguments both ways - probably a programming problem rather than an aesthetic one.

I'd also wondered if it would be possible to calculate all previous points!!!! As in my reply to the next post this would need to be done by geocaching.com

Edited by John & Felicity

It is possible, Deep Southwest Geocaching Project has been doing it for some time. Caches are "scored" on time since publication over total finds to provide a score to each finder and a next value to the next person to find. If a cache gets found all the time it might be worth 1pt or less but one that rarely gets found will be worth a lot. D/T has nothing to do with it, you assume that a high scoring cache is harder to get :rolleyes: .

It is a great concept and a pretty cool site. I don't know how much time/effort goes into maintaining the project, but it is possible.

It is possible, Deep Southwest Geocaching Project has been doing it for some time. Caches are "scored" on time since publication over total finds to provide a score to each finder and a next value to the next person to find. If a cache gets found all the time it might be worth 1pt or less but one that rarely gets found will be worth a lot. D/T has nothing to do with it, you assume that a high scoring cache is harder to get :laughing: .

It is a great concept and a pretty cool site. I don't know how much time/effort goes into maintaining the project, but it is possible.

I did think of this method - however if a lonely cache (worth lots of points) is suddenly surrounded by a trail of them it will be much less lonely, more often found and its point score will get smaller. Shame for the cachers who found it when it was alone and see their score going down. Of course you could get the points it was worth at the time you found it (which is what my method was trying to do) - Possibly an average over the previous year (or whatever).

It is possible, Deep Southwest Geocaching Project has been doing it for some time. Caches are "scored" on time since publication over total finds to provide a score to each finder and a next value to the next person to find. If a cache gets found all the time it might be worth 1pt or less but one that rarely gets found will be worth a lot. D/T has nothing to do with it, you assume that a high scoring cache is harder to get :laughing: .

GC20A37 - 70 points. now go find it :rolleyes:

The problem with a rating system like that is that it is all about location. A skirt-lifter in a remote location would get a high rating while an amazing urban-camo hide in a highly populated area like southern California would get a score close to 0. We all can find the skirt-lifter without trouble, but finding the urban-camo hide without a hint???

The problem with a rating system like that is that it is all about location. A skirt-lifter in a remote location would get a high rating while an amazing urban-camo hide in a highly populated area like southern California would get a score close to 0. We all can find the skirt-lifter without trouble, but finding the urban-camo hide without a hint???

not if d and t each had their own rating system.

Sometimes the length of time from a cache's last logged find can be a deterrent for me. Other times I take it as a challenge.

When we were finishing up the Virginia Delorme Challenge this past March, we had three caches from which to choose in order to log page 64, all of which actually required leaving Virginia and driving/hiking back in from West Virginia. I first went to one not far from the paved road as insurance (though I still had to hike a half mile to it because of snow drifts). I then hiked another three miles out in the snow to a cache that had last been found in late 2004, or five and a half years ago. Found it after a moderate search, as the coordinates were a little off. At the time, I was only the fifth person to log it; two others have since made the find. (Contents were absolutely pristine, by the way.)

If I read the Deep Southwest stat guildelines correctly, when I found it, it was worth a little over 150 challenge points, and the current value is about 118.

I'll take a souvenir for that.