A TB with out the tag can i make a copy?

Geobuzzbee

Where did the tags ...

No, no, proper answer.

Yes if it's your TB you can make your own tag.

However.

Most cachers will be looking for the tag/image ( small_tb_pic.gif ) to realise it's a TB, and thus log it as such.

yea its mine,but iv copied the tb image and can lam it with all info but worried in paper it wont be taken serious,iv asked local lock smith to stamp me one but its a fiver, i could get a new one for that....so is it within the rules? (tags got eat by my dog) :rolleyes:

I have a few replacement items out travelling on home-made tags. They seem to be doing OK.

I make from white card, about 2" x 1", with the tracking number and "Trackable at geocaching.com" printed on each side, then laminated.

MrsB

thank you iv made a copy and printed the bug image with the TM next to it,same size as the new TB with code and rest of info on the back, Will it farewell???? :rolleyes:

This leads me on to wonder why someone hasn't created a Wiki style Travel Bug site to allow folk to produce their own free TBs/trackables ...... or does it already exist? All it would need to do is ensure that the users code was unique, provide a page for each bug to track and maybe some tag templates to print off and laminate. So many TBs get lost why not cut out the expense and hassle of buying a tag from a commercial supplier?

This leads me on to wonder why someone hasn't created a Wiki style Travel Bug site to allow folk to produce their own free TBs/trackables ...... or does it already exist? All it would need to do is ensure that the users code was unique, provide a page for each bug to track and maybe some tag templates to print off and laminate. So many TBs get lost why not cut out the expense and hassle of buying a tag from a commercial supplier?

geokrety

There are quite a few other sites for "travelling things" but most cachers want to have items that can be logged in and out of geocaching.com caches and can be seen listed in the geocaching.com cache inventories. For that degree of integration to this site you have to buy a geocaching.com TB for about £5. You then have a tracking number for whatever item you want that you can use for ever. Seems fair enough to me.

MrsB

Thanks guys - exactly what I was thinking. What a shame for those who treasure travelling items that Groundspeak will only chase the buck and list the their own. :D

As I said in another thread, Geocaching.com is a profit driven company and TB's were invented to be another revenue stream. Lots of cachers get a lot of pleasure from them so are happy to pay to own a tracking number. As Team Noodles said, there are free alternatives.