Low Cost Day Pack

The Yinnies

I have the REI Lookout 40 it is a great day pack. I has 1 large compartment, a smaller compartment with mesh bag dividers, a hydration reservoir pouch, 2 mesh pouch on both sides of the pack, a small compartment at the top, a hip belt with a mesh pocket perfect for my GPS, sternum strap with a built in emergency whistle, and a built in rain cover in case it get nasty while I am out. All in all its the best day pack I have ever had. Its not cheap but this pack has been through hell and back with me and has made it through. Next to my GPS this is single handedly the best purchase I made for geocaching.

I am looking for a day pack. It needs to be smaller as I will be having caching items and a sweatshirt and not much more. I would like it to have a lot of smaller pockets.

Thanks

Target recently started carrying Kelty brand packs which are of excellent quality. I picked up a Kelty Roma for $40.00 , it has two main pockets and the smaller of the two has organizers. It also has a pocket and opening for a hydration bladder ( not included) . The pack is perfect for a day hike/ geo caching but could hold enough gear for a one day overnight trip.

I use a Kelty Redwing 3100. It's a great pack and has room for everything one should carry when heading into the wilderness. I really like the organizer front pocket: it allows me to hold a pen, permits, wallet, cell phone, GPS, and that sort of junk in an organized manner. The side bottle holders are great for holding a 1 L Nalgene on each side.

Low cost? That's a relative question. My Kelty Redwing 3100 is going on maybe 5 years old, so its initial cost amoratized over its life (I'm guessing maybe 8-10 years overall), makes it pretty cheap.

81WrgBuuaUL._SL1500_.jpg

If you are hard on packs, go with something from LL Bean. They'll replace it if you are ever not satisfied, and there are no questions asked. You pay a bunch initially, sure, but it pays off. My kids school book bag, about $100 the first time, has been replaced at least 3 times, all for free. The books are murder on packs, so they get really, really hard use.

Last resort, Walmart. They sell day packs that will get you by for a few trips. Not a value in my mind, but they are cheap.

Edited by Jeepergeo