Collectible Items as Travel Bugs

The GeoGadgets Team

I did a search, and didn't find this topic before... maybe I worded it incorrectly, but here goes:

I am almost ready to place Red's Ultimate Comics Cache, something I've been planning and gathering items for for months.

I have nearly twenty comic books and three collectible comic book action figures that I'd like to turn into travel bugs (the AC's not the comics). I have the figures, I have the tags...

1.) should I take the action figures out of their boxes? They aren't very expensive ($5 each), but I can't imagine a travel bug left in it's original box (especially since the box is kinda large). I suppose once it is open, it isn't a collectible anymore, though.

2.) is it unusual to put three bugs in one new cache? I'm considering making this an MOC, even if only for six weeks, just to insure that people take it seriously, since it is a very themed cache (comic stuff to trade only). I think that if it is an MOC that the TB's might have a better chance of reaching their goals.

I would appreciate opinions, soon. I'm ready activate the bugs and place the cache!

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

quote:
Originally posted by tatoeba:

The perfect timing to release a Spiderman TB if you have one!!

How did you guess!? icon_biggrin.gif

Yep, one of them is a new action figure designed for the new movie (we went to see it today, but the theater was full! So, we took the boys to see Ice Age... what a funny movie!), one that has this spinning trash-can prop with it. Should I send the prop, too?

The other two are Witchblade action figures to commemorate the new season of Witchblade the series on TBS coming in June: A Kenneth Iron Gold Neogenesis and a Scarlet Medieval Witchblade (both sculpted by Clayton Moore).

I haven't completely worked out their goals, yet. I thought of sending Spiderman to New York City, to Ground Zero, but isn't everybody doing that? NYC is where the movie and comics took place.

Witchblade takes place in New York, too, but Sara Pezzini gets around a bit more. Any suggestions will be thrown into the mix and considered for the final release...

Thanks!

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website

quote:
Originally posted by tatoeba:

The perfect timing to release a Spiderman TB if you have one!!

How did you guess!? icon_biggrin.gif

Yep, one of them is a new action figure designed for the new movie (we went to see it today, but the theater was full! So, we took the boys to see Ice Age... what a funny movie!), one that has this spinning trash-can prop with it. Should I send the prop, too?

The other two are Witchblade action figures to commemorate the new season of Witchblade the series on TBS coming in June: A Kenneth Iron Gold Neogenesis and a Scarlet Medieval Witchblade (both sculpted by Clayton Moore).

I haven't completely worked out their goals, yet. I thought of sending Spiderman to New York City, to Ground Zero, but isn't everybody doing that? NYC is where the movie and comics took place.

Witchblade takes place in New York, too, but Sara Pezzini gets around a bit more. Any suggestions will be thrown into the mix and considered for the final release...

Thanks!

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

heheheh.

I presume you know about the Challenge of the SuperFriends.

Silly man... we went through this discussion when I originally brought up the whole idea of my comics cache in this thread.

I have also been reading about how many of the SuperFriends don't seem to be getting around like they should, in the thread about TB's going MIA. Keep us up on this. Weird thing... a cache that I had already visited was recently home to Aquaman, I believe. I was real sorry I missed him... *sigh*

I hope some of the SuperFriends make it this direction. I'm sure that they would like the atmosphere of Red's Ultimate Comics Cache, when it is placed (just a few more days!).

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

Should I take the action figures out of their boxes? [...] I suppose once it is open, it isn't a collectible anymore, though.

Yes, I'd take them out of the boxes. If you don't, chances are someone else will anyway.

I've seen people post photos of their dog chewing on a travel bug, with a comment saying, "Don't worry, he was gentle." icon_eek.gif

I imagine that over time, all of our travel bugs will start showing some wear and tear, just through the process of changing hands.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

Should I take the action figures out of their boxes? [...] I suppose once it is open, it isn't a collectible anymore, though.

Yes, I'd take them out of the boxes. If you don't, chances are someone else will anyway.

I've seen people post photos of their dog chewing on a travel bug, with a comment saying, "Don't worry, he was gentle." icon_eek.gif

I imagine that over time, all of our travel bugs will start showing some wear and tear, just through the process of changing hands.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

I have already taken Spiderman out of his container... he looked like too much fun! Yes, I'm just a big kid or I probably wouldn't collect comics and action figures!

Each of my sons got to spend 15 minutes with the WebSlinger prior to putting him in a safe spot on my desk until it is time to pack the cache. Of course, my youngest decided that it would be "mean" to make him a TB!

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

I have already taken Spiderman out of his container... he looked like too much fun! Yes, I'm just a big kid or I probably wouldn't collect comics and action figures!

Each of my sons got to spend 15 minutes with the WebSlinger prior to putting him in a safe spot on my desk until it is time to pack the cache. Of course, my youngest decided that it would be "mean" to make him a TB!

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website