Garmin GPSmap 62s

GRANPA ALEX

I am looking to get an upgrade and have avoided the Oregon & Colorado as they just don't seem rugged enouph to be thrown in the pocket, dropped in the dirt and, IMO, are not yet proven . . . at least as well as the tough 60-series.

I want to know if the 62s really has all the features of the 60Cx AND can display the whole cache page description with logs . . . or, do I still have to carry the PPC to have my data at the cache site.

Have found it for $379.00 (free shipping) but will have to add case, street maps, new type windsheild mount etc. which will make it costly to be disappointed in the added feature I really want (leaving the PPC at home).

I am looking to get an upgrade and have avoided the Oregon & Colorado as they just don't seem rugged enouph to be thrown in the pocket, dropped in the dirt and, IMO, are not yet proven . . . at least as well as the tough 60-series.

I want to know if the 62s really has all the features of the 60Cx AND can display the whole cache page description with logs . . . or, do I still have to carry the PPC to have my data at the cache site.

Have found it for $379.00 (free shipping) but will have to add case, street maps, new type windsheild mount etc. which will make it costly to be disappointed in the added feature I really want (leaving the PPC at home).

Don't know about the 62s, but I've dropped my Colorado in the mud, on the concrete, thrown it in my bag, pocket, glove box, etc. It's extremely rugged. As far as being proven, It's never failed me with over 600 finds.

Don't know about the 62s, but I've dropped my Colorado in the mud, on the concrete, thrown it in my bag, pocket, glove box, etc. It's extremely rugged. As far as being proven, It's never failed me with over 600 finds.

THANKS for your reply . . . I have caching several riends who got a new Colorado/Oregon and leave it in the car while using their old 60-series. For whatever reason, they are not as pleased with the units as with the tough old 60-series. THIS is why I have waited for a better answer for upgrade of my wornout 60-series.

If anything, its the 62 that's unproven.

For all purposes, the new 62's have more in common with the Oregon's (and Colorado's), than they do with the 60's. The only real feature that carries forward from the older 60's is the Quad Helix antenna, oh, and the case.

Despite the touch screen, the Oregon's have been shown to be incredibly durable and tough. I've dropped mine many times, gotten it plenty wet, had it fall off the car, and it still works just fine, similar reports from others.

The 62 is a marketing item, designed to cover the well received features of the Oregon's, and the popularity of the 60's. Its nothing more than an Oregon with the loss of the touch screen and the gain of the antenna (which the Colorado also had).

The Colorado is no longer marketed, because it fell between the cracks, people either wanted the long time massively popular 60, or the touch screen on the Oregon, there just was no in-between market. The 62 hits the market that the Colorado missed.

The 60 was considered the real work horse of geocaching (and other field uses), and the 62, essentially a repackaged Oregon minus the touch screen, is riding on that reputation.

The 62s has impressed me from day one.

Recently did a mini cache run of 643 caches over a looooooong weeekend and had only two hic-ups, which were cured by powering the units off and then back on. Since then two software upgrades seem to have resolved the oooooopsies.

FWIW: I own and or control 20+ GPSr units and have a certain demand for excellence and reliability. The 62s is shaping up to be a home run for Garmin.

If anything, its the 62 that's unproven.

Agreed. The 62 series is just a marketing ploy. Albeit, an effective one.

Take the name and basic shape of a proven work horse, cram in a different set of electronics and "Bingo!", a new GPSr is born.

My brother, PigPen4x4, just bought one of the 62 series. Not sure which initials follow it.

My first impression was quite favorable. Strong reception, clear screen, intuitive layout. Couldn't find anything bad to say about it.

If Garmin had just added the ability to do Wherigo caches, I'd buy one today.

If Garmin had just added the ability to do Wherigo caches, I'd buy one today.

I'm not sure at this point if you'll ever see any further Wherigo support by Garmin, including a client showing up on new units.

Garmin and GS are obviously struggling in their relationship.

The current client is the same one that was initially released, there has been no development, bug fixes, or any advancement of the client at all since day one.

Since GS holds a "patent" on Wherigo, it would be up to GS to support the development, Garmin can't go any further without GS support, further, since GS has effectively snuffed Garmin, Garmin has no incentive to develop any further.

Garmin is most likely restricted by the patent and licensing restrictions imposed by GS, so its unlikely that a client would show up on any other GPS without further negotiations between Garmin and GS, which is unlikely to happen at this point.

I love the unit but lack of Wherigo support is its biggest drawback. Groundspeak appears to have dropped the project, giving Garmin little incentive to do anything but Chirp (where they can make money), leaving development in the hands of third party builders and smartphone players. Thus, I don't expect to see it in the 62 series, but would love to be wrong.