opencaching.com new mascot...

FickFam

Well you do have a account at their site so that gives you some points as a reviewer for caches even if it is low points. I mean, you did take the time to join OC.

Got any caches of your own that are up for review? I dare you to find a better price! Best deal on the block. I've only got eight votes per cahce right now, but the more caches I approve, the more votes I get.

Why do you hate other caching sites so bad? It is supposed to be a fun family sport.

The negativity toward opencaching seems to come from a number of sources.

1. Loyalty to Geocaching.com. People have been using this site for a long time and even if they don't agree with every decision that Grounspeak makes, they find it to be the best geocaching site.

2. Have seen other sites come and go. Past attempts to start alternate geocaching sites have not been particularly succesful. Generally they fizzle out after a few years. Even with Garmin's deep pockets, there is no real reason to believe that opencaching will be any different.

3. Concerns about the review process. In part this is caused by a belief that any bad cache that gets through the process could lead to disastrous consequences to geoaching in general (e.g. laws passed to outlaw geocaching). Of course there are bad caches that get by Grounspeak reveiwers as well. In reality land managers are going to be more concerned that there is a process to remove bad caches quickly when they are discovered. Opencaching.com has a way to report a cache and that problem caches are archived. In addition the review process for new caches is being refined as problems are discovered. I personally find this a poor reason to be negative about Opencaching.

4. Viewing opencaching.com as being fully mature when it is in fact still a beta. The review process and other sections of the site are being tweaked as the Garmin team discovers problems. Also because it is a new site there are few caches being submitted. For this reason when you look at the review queue you may see caches from around the world. There are no caches in the queue that are close to you, so you are given a chance to review caches further away. As the site grows, you will probably see only close caches, there just aren't that many right now.

5. Perceived problems with cross-listing (or not cross-listing) of caches. Cross listing of Geocaching.com caches on opencaching.com may cause problems when OX cachers find a travel bug. Travel bugs must be tracked on Geoaching.com. A bug might get moved to a non cross listed OX cache and there would be no way to mark where it it. In any case an OX cacher may not want to set up a GC account and log travel bug movements at all. Non cross listed caches may cause proximity issues. An OX cache could be placed at the same coordinates as a GC cache. Note that there are already other games (e.g. letterboxing) where this could be a problem. In my opinion these problems are no worse than the problems letterboxers saw when that upstart geocaching.com came on the scene 10 years ago. Sure there are more geocaches now then there were letterboxes then, but with a little education so both groups are aware of the other and most problems can be worked out. It seems likely that GCers and OXers will be aware of one another.

6. Perception of opencaching as being the home to troublemakers. Often what happens with alternative sites is that people who have been banned from GC.com or otherwise have a beef with Groundspeak are attracted to these sites. They are of course people who like geocaching and if Groundspeak has made it difficult for them to geocache, the alternative site are that much more attractive. If people have been banned from the Groundspeak forums, they may spend time on the new site forum criticizing Groundspeak because they aren't able to do so here. While they may seem to dominate some threads in the opencaching forums, these people are a tiny minority and don't represent Opencaching at all.

You put alot of thought into your post. Well said.

Hey... I found it!! I got very lucky, too. There were literally a dozen or more caches in the area that I had to check before I found it. Well, by area, I mean entire state, but you get my drift.

Anyway...

Activity

No one has logged an attempt to find this geocache yet.

But stay tuned... it could happen!

Wow, so OC is like the Waymarking of geocaching then? :P

Careful or I'll write a long post on why you hate Waymarking so bad.

Well you do have a account at their site so that gives you some points as a reviewer for caches even if it is low points. I mean, you did take the time to join OC.

Got any caches of your own that are up for review? I dare you to find a better price! Best deal on the block. I've only got eight votes per cahce right now, but the more caches I approve, the more votes I get.

Why do you hate other caching sites so bad? It is supposed to be a fun family sport.

The negativity toward opencaching seems to come from a number of sources.

1. Loyalty to Geocaching.com. People have been using this site for a long time and even if they don't agree with every decision that Grounspeak makes, they find it to be the best geocaching site.

2. Have seen other sites come and go. Past attempts to start alternate geocaching sites have not been particularly succesful. Generally they fizzle out after a few years. Even with Garmin's deep pockets, there is no real reason to believe that opencaching will be any different.

3. Concerns about the review process. In part this is caused by a belief that any bad cache that gets through the process could lead to disastrous consequences to geoaching in general (e.g. laws passed to outlaw geocaching). Of course there are bad caches that get by Grounspeak reveiwers as well. In reality land managers are going to be more concerned that there is a process to remove bad caches quickly when they are discovered. Opencaching.com has a way to report a cache and that problem caches are archived. In addition the review process for new caches is being refined as problems are discovered. I personally find this a poor reason to be negative about Opencaching.

4. Viewing opencaching.com as being fully mature when it is in fact still a beta. The review process and other sections of the site are being tweaked as the Garmin team discovers problems. Also because it is a new site there are few caches being submitted. For this reason when you look at the review queue you may see caches from around the world. There are no caches in the queue that are close to you, so you are given a chance to review caches further away. As the site grows, you will probably see only close caches, there just aren't that many right now.

5. Perceived problems with cross-listing (or not cross-listing) of caches. Cross listing of Geocaching.com caches on opencaching.com may cause problems when OX cachers find a travel bug. Travel bugs must be tracked on Geoaching.com. A bug might get moved to a non cross listed OX cache and there would be no way to mark where it it. In any case an OX cacher may not want to set up a GC account and log travel bug movements at all. Non cross listed caches may cause proximity issues. An OX cache could be placed at the same coordinates as a GC cache. Note that there are already other games (e.g. letterboxing) where this could be a problem. In my opinion these problems are no worse than the problems letterboxers saw when that upstart geocaching.com came on the scene 10 years ago. Sure there are more geocaches now then there were letterboxes then, but with a little education so both groups are aware of the other and most problems can be worked out. It seems likely that GCers and OXers will be aware of one another.

6. Perception of opencaching as being the home to troublemakers. Often what happens with alternative sites is that people who have been banned from GC.com or otherwise have a beef with Groundspeak are attracted to these sites. They are of course people who like geocaching and if Groundspeak has made it difficult for them to geocache, the alternative site are that much more attractive. If people have been banned from the Groundspeak forums, they may spend time on the new site forum criticizing Groundspeak because they aren't able to do so here. While they may seem to dominate some threads in the opencaching forums, these people are a tiny minority and don't represent Opencaching at all.

You put alot of thought into your post. Well said.

I think its the other way around, actually. :lol:

Hey... I found it!! I got very lucky, too. There were literally a dozen or more caches in the area that I had to check before I found it. Well, by area, I mean entire state, but you get my drift.

Anyway...

Activity

No one has logged an attempt to find this geocache yet.

But stay tuned... it could happen!

Wow, so OC is like the Waymarking of geocaching then? :P

Careful or I'll write a long post on why you hate Waymarking so bad.

Double-dog dare ya!
I don't have negative opinions, only my stance on when others try and come ruin the fun.

This statement is the best evidence I've seen so far that you are utterly blind in your defense of OC. You think the detractors in this thread are trying to "ruin" the fun? Seriously? That's the only thing you could see in their statements? Let me clue you in on something: The folks in this thread love caching. Anything that serves to improve the game will be embraced with open arms. Even if it comes in the form of competition. Anything that serves to threaten the game will initially be questioned, then, if the threat is not corrected, will be met with angst. That's where OC is at right now. They rushed into the market with very little thought for the consequences of their actions, with no greater desire than to sell more Garmins. The system they created had some significant flaws, which, if not addressed, could have a seriously negative impact on the overall game itself. Several members on this site have pointed out their flaws, expressing their concerns, and these folks have been met with silence. Garmin has not addressed the issues. Instead, they created a process which raises even more concerns. Again, folks are expressing honest concerns, and they are being ignored.

Now, let's pretend for a moment that you really do care about the overall game, and haven't simply had your loyalty bought and paid for with a box of swag. You should be spending a lot more time listening to the concerns of others, and a lot less time summarily dismissing any opinion that doesn't paint OC in a positive light. OC has issues. Serious ones. If you don't want your fun ruined, than work toward fixing those issues. I think it's safe to say, if Garmin does not address the many flaws in their system, their version of the game will become as irrelevant as Navicaching.

This statement is the best evidence I've seen so far that you are utterly blind in your defense of OC. You think the detractors in this thread are trying to "ruin" the fun? Seriously? That's the only thing you could see in their statements? Let me clue you in on something: The folks in this thread love caching. Anything that serves to improve the game will be embraced with open arms. Even if it comes in the form of competition. Anything that serves to threaten the game will initially be questioned, then, if the threat is not corrected, will be met with angst. That's where OC is at right now. They rushed into the market with very little thought for the consequences of their actions, with no greater desire than to sell more Garmins. The system they created had some significant flaws, which, if not addressed, could have a seriously negative impact on the overall game itself. Several members on this site have pointed out their flaws, expressing their concerns, and these folks have been met with silence. Garmin has not addressed the issues. Instead, they created a process which raises even more concerns. Again, folks are expressing honest concerns, and they are being ignored.

Now, let's pretend for a moment that you really do care about the overall game, and haven't simply had your loyalty bought and paid for with a box of swag. You should be spending a lot more time listening to the concerns of others, and a lot less time summarily dismissing any opinion that doesn't paint OC in a positive light. OC has issues. Serious ones. If you don't want your fun ruined, than work toward fixing those issues. I think it's safe to say, if Garmin does not address the many flaws in their system, their version of the game will become as irrelevant as Navicaching.

You put alot of thought into your post. Well said. smile.gif

I don't have negative opinions, only my stance on when others try and come ruin the fun.

Bravo! I couldn't have said it better myself.

You put alot of thought into your post. Well said. smile.gif

I agree. That pretty much sums up my feelings about it. Well put, CR.

So in that same post of mine that you read cause you did find the box of swag part and that must be all you remembered. I said,"I do stay in contact with their support dept about what I am looking for on their site. They have been nothing but friendly on their end." So yes I have been emailing them with stuff that I and others would like to see. It is just a test site right now so they are working on it.

So in that same post of mine that you read cause you did find the box of swag part and that must be all you remembered. I said,"I do stay in contact with their support dept about what I am looking for on their site. They have been nothing but friendly on their end." So yes I have been emailing them with stuff that I and others would like to see. It is just a test site right now so they are working on it.

With that, the blind defense of OC.com continues...

Why did you repeat your post? Don't you have your little group of disgruntled cachers to hang out with?

Be careful, some could see that as a personal attack and that is not aloud on the forums remember?

No personal attack at all. Nice try, though.

At this point, what was the topic of the thread about? Something about opencaching? It is so far off base I forget myself. I had to go to the beginning to see that it was about,"opencaching.com new mascot... "

That has not been talk about in awhile.

We are talking about Opencaching and its apparent faults. I'd say we are on topic.

I could take my car into the shop and the person could be nice as can be and offer me free ice scrappers & keychains, but if they can't fix my car I'm not going to be recommending them to others. In fact, I'll be telling people to avoid them.

I could take my car into the shop and the person could be nice as can be and offer me free ice scrappers & keychains, but if they can't fix my car I'm not going to be recommending them to others. In fact, I'll be telling people to avoid them.

If you paid for the work I would be upset too.

At this point, what was the topic of the thread about? Something about opencaching? It is so far off base I forget myself. I had to go to the beginning to see that it was about,"opencaching.com new mascot... "

That has not been talk about in awhile.

We are talking about Opencaching and its apparent faults. I'd say we are on topic.

Still looks like a beaver to me.

OK, here's an example of a problem that you might wish to make them aware of:

Austrian cache, OX29PD4 is up for review right now:

Cacher1 +18

Cacher2 +25

Cacher3 -30 Comment: Near RR tracks, usafe

Cacher4 +12

Cacher5 +28

Cacher6 +6

That is a net of + 58 points, despite the fact that the map shows it to be practically on top of the railroad tracks. The cache will likely be published, despite OC's guideline:

Not only should you avoid sensitive ecosystems and important archaeological and historic sites, but you should also avoid areas that might give people cause for concern. This includes bridges, military installations, railroad tracks and other structures that might be possible targets of terrorist attacks.

Even if they did it free of charge, I'd still be upset if the mechanic turned out to be inept.

Cacher1 +18

Cacher2 +25

Cacher4 +12

Cacher5 +28

Cacher6 +6

That is a net of + 58 points, despite the fact that the map shows it to be practically on top of the railroad tracks. The cache will likely be published, despite OC's guideline:

Not only should you avoid sensitive ecosystems and important archaeological and historic sites, but you should also avoid areas that might give people cause for concern. This includes bridges, military installations, railroad tracks and other structures that might be possible targets of terrorist attacks.

But...but...peer review is the best! ;)

Cacher1 +18

Cacher2 +25

Cacher4 +12

Cacher5 +28

Cacher6 +6

Are you sure the tracks are still there, there are a lot of caches listed in my area that show they are on tracks that are not in service anymore. Most become bike trails.

Cacher1 +18

Cacher2 +25

Cacher4 +12

Cacher5 +28

Cacher6 +6

Are you sure the tracks are still there, there are a lot of caches listed in my area that show they are on tracks that are not in service anymore. Most become bike trails.

Can you prove the tracks are not there? This is a prime example that illustrates the peer review system is seriously flawed.

Cacher1 +18

Cacher2 +25

Cacher4 +12

Cacher5 +28

Cacher6 +6

Update. If it is in a bad place then GS published a cache on a live train track. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c50abb12-c314-443f-a964-857d288f31fd#

They are the same caches being crosslisted. My review system is not too bad.

Cacher1 +18

Cacher2 +25

Cacher4 +12

Cacher5 +28

Cacher6 +6

Can you prove the tracks are not there? This is a prime example that illustrates the peer review system is seriously flawed.

Yeah I can and I did. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c50abb12-c314-443f-a964-857d288f31fd#

Don't jump the gun.

Cacher1 +18

Cacher2 +25

Cacher4 +12

Cacher5 +28

Cacher6 +6

Yeah I can and I did. http://www.geocachin...4-857d288f31fd#

Don't jump the gun.

Good find. However, I would say that points to a flaw in Geocaching.com's review process and not proof that peer review works. I would say that it probably should not be published on either site.

Even without paying, my time and the use of the car are valuable to me as well.

OC has some significant issues. If they had a thriving geocaching community, those issues could cause real problems for all cachers (as Knowshad & others have pointed out repeatedly).

It's become apparent that cachers are not going to use the OC site until those issues get fixed. They're staying away in droves as things stand now. As I pointed out before, only 50 OC caches were logged within 700 miles of my house in the entire month of January and some of those are bogus logs from people testing the system.

OC has some significant issues. If they had a thriving geocaching community, those issues could cause real problems for all cachers (as Knowshad & others have pointed out repeatedly).

It's become apparent that cachers are not going to use the OC site until those issues get fixed. They're staying away in droves as things stand now. As I pointed out before, only 50 OC caches were logged within 700 miles of my house in the entire month of January and some of those are bogus logs from people testing the system.

At least you and others keep checking their site which is great, you keep coming back. You watch them and keep checking for the updates and for it to move forward.

The system they created had some significant flaws, which, if not addressed, could have a seriously negative impact on the overall game itself. Several members on this site have pointed out their flaws, expressing their concerns, and these folks have been met with silence. Garmin has not addressed the issues. Instead, they created a process which raises even more concerns. Again, folks are expressing honest concerns, and they are being ignored.

I don't know what website you've been look at. Garmin appears to be listening to concerns people have. They have refined their reviewing process and continue to do so.

The important issue to me is that they have a reasonable set of guidelines for placing caches and that they have a procedure to deal with problematic caches when they are reported. I personally did not have the grave concerns some people here have about not having a pre-review process. If a cache was in violation of the guidelines someone would report it. However, there were people who pointed out that some land managers have not only published there own geoacaching regulations but that they have worked with Geocaching.com is doing so. These land managers appear to have placed their trust in Groundspeak volunteer reviewers to catch a substantial number of caches that violate their (the land manager's) regulations before publishing the cache. The concern seems to be if another site is also publishing the cache, the land manager will throw up their hands and decide to simply ban caches.

The point is that now there is a method for pre-publication review of opencaching caches. Eventually, this method should be able to enforce some land manager's rules equally as well as Groundspeak reviewer can. Admitedly there may be some additional tweaks needed to accomplish this, for example, a database of land manager policies and local regulations that peer reviewers can reference.

At least you and others keep checking their site which is great, you keep coming back. You watch them and keep checking for the updates and for it to move forward.

Actually, I keep checking there to witness the obvious path it's taking to the end of being completely irrelevant like Terracaching, Navicaching, etc.

Cacher1 +18

Cacher2 +25

Cacher4 +12

Cacher5 +28

Cacher6 +6

Don't jump the gun.

Good find. However, I would say that points to a flaw in Geocaching.com's review process and not proof that peer review works. I would say that it probably should not be published on either site.

I am sure that the listing is within the guidelines. Either the reviewer know that the tracks are no longer in service or that the cache is far enough away from the cache. We have caches here that are under the railroad rails on the tracks but it is in the guidelines cause the tracks are no longer in service even to the naked eye it looks like a useable track except for all the weeds growing up on it.

Actually, I just keep checking the Banned by Groundspeak thread over there. It's amusing. Haven't bothered to set up an account, never will. No point.

I turn my head when I drive by a car accident as well, that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

No that is not good thing. Insurance companies show that that leads to car wrecks too because you take your eyes off the road. Which can cause a rear end collision which in turn would be your fault.

Actually, I just keep checking the Banned by Groundspeak thread over there. It's amusing. Haven't bothered to set up an account, never will. No point.

That thread is a riot, for sure.

I know and you have a lot of funny thing on it too. :laughing:

Don't jump the gun.

Au contraire. It shows that the Groundpeak reviewer system is no better than the peer review system. At least in the peer review system one reviewer did see the track and noted it in their review. Had the cache not been already published on Geocaching.com, there may have been others that would have given negative votes after seeing this and the cache would not have been published. No system is perfect and we all know that bad caches get published. The key is now to post an NA on Geocaching.com and report the cache on opencaching.com and see where it gets archived first :ph34r:

Actually, I keep checking there to witness the obvious path it's taking to the end of being completely irrelevant like Terracaching, Navicaching, etc.

I'd argue that Terracaching is more relevant than OC. Their caches aren't a duplicate of another website's caches and they offer an alternative for those want to place caches that don't fit the family oriented nature of this site. It's purpose is to support caching, not help sell more of a product. So, while the usage is also small, I'd argue it's more relevant. smile.gif

Indeed. It's so easy to rile up some of the crybabies on there.

I turn my head when I drive by a car accident as well, that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

No that is not good thing. Insurance companies show that that leads to car wrecks too because you take your eyes off the road. Which can cause a rear end collision which in turn would be your fault.

Who said I was driving. tongue.gif

Don't jump the gun.

Au contraire. It shows that the Groundpeak reviewer system is no better than the peer review system. At least in the peer review system one reviewer did see the track and noted it in their review. Had the cache not been already published on Geocaching.com, there may have been others that would have given negative votes after seeing this and the cache would not have been published. No system is perfect and we all know that bad caches get published. The key is now to post an NA on Geocaching.com and report the cache on opencaching.com and see where it gets archived first :ph34r:

crayon_purple_1.png

Don't jump the gun.

Au contraire to you, too. Two wrongs don't make a right. My mother taught me that.

The trains were active as of the January 17 log.

In this case, though, our arguments are possibly moot. The cache is apparently at the station, and that may have been acceptable to the Austrian Groundspeak reviewer. But I still say that it is a pretty good real-life example of the potential issues inherent in the peer review process.

Don't jump the gun.

Tell me if this cache is again the guideline or if it is not safe. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=71e55cba-d650-4dc2-96ec-fe2ec5be9419

Look at the maps, I have found it I know what it is located on.

Indeed. It's so easy to rile up some of the crybabies on there.

But...but...but, you wasn't wrong about the cache next to the railroad tracks right? Oh snap, I think you was but you had no come back for that one did you?

Tell me if this cache is again the guideline or if it is not safe. http://www.geocachin...ec-fe2ec5be9419

Look at the maps, I have found it I know what it is located on.

Tracks are removed. Easy to see from Google's StreetView, and pretty safe to assume from Bing's Birdseye view.

Sorry the tracks was there when it was published, they just removed them this pass fall. Go check the date the cache was published.