opencaching.com new mascot...

FickFam

You don't have to worry about cross listing since I archived all of my hides and they are ONLY available on OC.com now. I will no longer hide caches on here. I like OC.com and think they have a good chance in succeeding.

Interesting. July4Patriot archived this cache in September then wrote this:

This cache has been archived and physically removed from the location. This cache is NO longer active. See note from 10 September 2010.

Then he posted this:

This cache can ONLY be claimed at [advertising deleted] so their is no cross listing between geocaching sites.

I don't think I'll be claiming a cache that was physically removed. smile.gif

FWIW, I am glad he's not cross-listing.

Nearest to me was a Canadian cache. I'm in Minnesota. But since it was a cache by our own dxf, I gave it my full 8 votes because he's a friend.

I thought you had caches down in your neck of the woods listed on that site.

Yes, there are some, but apparently they are either not up for review, or the review process doesn't look at nearest caches at all.

Nearest to me was a Canadian cache. I'm in Minnesota. But since it was a cache by our own dxf, I gave it my full 8 votes because he's a friend.

Yes, there are some, but apparently they are either not up for review, or the review process doesn't look at nearest caches at all.

Where do you go to do a review there? I've not took the time to really get to know that site since there are none in my area. Look for a little while today, but lost interest quick. I widened the search and found a few, all be the same cacher, with no finds on them. Guess they are making a big splash here. :laughing:

Where do you go to do a review there? I've not took the time to really get to know that site since there are none in my area. Look for a little while today, but lost interest quick. I widened the search and found a few, all be the same cacher, with no finds on them. Guess they are making a big splash here. :laughing:

Little link at the bottom of the main page.

You don't have to worry about cross listing since I archived all of my hides and they are ONLY available on OC.com now. I will no longer hide caches on here. I like OC.com and think they have a good chance in succeeding.

This cache has been archived and physically removed from the location. This cache is NO longer active. See note from 10 September 2010.

Then he posted this:

This cache can ONLY be claimed at [advertising deleted] so their is no cross listing between geocaching sites.

The archival note for this cache states that the hotel owner wanted it removed. But he's relisted it on OC.com ?!

Then he posted this:

The archival note for this cache states that the hotel owner wanted it removed. But he's relisted it on OC.com ?!

Let me guess, it received many supporting votes by the Review Crew.

Doh, how'd I miss that! I got the same DFX cache that you got. I gave it a green light too, cause he's a friend of yours. :laughing:

Got one for Jersey too. I approved, there's so much trash there, how can you go wrong. :laughing:

Edited by WhoDis

Doh, how'd I miss that! I got the same DFX cache that you got. I gave it a green light too, cause he's a friend of yours. :laughing:

Got one for Jersey too. I approved, there's so much trash there, how can you go wrong. :laughing:

Thanks. That is a good reason to approve a cache. Its called the buddy system.

Thanks. That is a good reason to approve a cache. Its called the buddy system.

Letting people who don't even use the site do reviews. With logic like that, how can it fail? <_<

Well you do have a account at their site so that gives you some points as a reviewer for caches even if it is low points. I mean, you did take the time to join OC.

And that qualify's somebody to be a reviewer? :blink: Can I be CEO if I find 1000? :laughing:

You better hit 1000 first but they might have a opening in the Maintenance Dept.

Well you do have a account at their site so that gives you some points as a reviewer for caches even if it is low points. I mean, you did take the time to join OC.

And that qualify's somebody to be a reviewer? :blink: Can I be CEO if I find 1000? :laughing:

You better hit 1000 first but they might have a opening in the Maintenance Dept.

That's great! I may take it, since I had two robots here playing Rock-em, Sock-em the other night. :o They may let off the hook though, since it was due to a software glitch.

Good luck with that. When I ran a query for the 1000 closest caches, the territory ran from Wisconsin to Las Vegas, NV. You might be burning some gasoline to hit that number.

Got any caches of your own that are up for review? I dare you to find a better price! Best deal on the block. I've only got eight votes per cahce right now, but the more caches I approve, the more votes I get.

Good luck with that. When I ran a query for the 1000 closest caches, the territory ran from Wisconsin to Las Vegas, NV. You might be burning some gasoline to hit that number.

That is just like the beginning days of Groundspeak. No one complained then. ;)

Got any caches of your own that are up for review? I dare you to find a better price! Best deal on the block. I've only got eight votes per cahce right now, but the more caches I approve, the more votes I get.

I have several OC only caches listed there.

That is just like the beginning days of Groundspeak. No one complained then. ;)

Not like the beginning days at all. Caching was something new then. You had no choice.

Why do you hate other caching sites so bad? It is supposed to be a fun family sport.

Why do you hate other caching sites so bad? It is supposed to be a fun family sport.

That's a non-sequitur. Just because this is a 'fun family sport' (for some people, not all) does not mean you can't dislike some element of it.

In this case, I don't believe I've ever seen Knowshad say he "Hated" other caching sites. However, he has stated his opinion on various aspects of their rules & policies that are problematic (to say the least).

Instead of shooting the messenger, you might want to spend your time on their website (which you seem to be quite a fan of) advocating that they make changes to their policies so that they can survive. As it sits now, usage is dropping on their website and I'd argue it's due in part to a number of policies that they haven't refined.

I really think you're wasting your time arguing that we shouldn't have negative opinions on that website. So we are clear, it would also be a waste of time to argue on their website that they shouldn't have negative opinions on this website.

That's a non-sequitur. Just because this is a 'fun family sport' (for some people, not all) does not mean you can't dislike some element of it.

In this case, I don't believe I've ever seen Knowshad say he "Hated" other caching sites. However, he has stated his opinion on various aspects of their rules & policies that are problematic (to say the least).

Instead of shooting the messenger, you might want to spend your time on their website (which you seem to be quite a fan of) advocating that they make changes to their policies so that they can survive. As it sits now, usage is dropping on their website and I'd argue it's due in part to a number of policies that they haven't refined.

I really think you're wasting your time arguing that we shouldn't have negative opinions on that website. So we are clear, it would also be a waste of time to argue on their website that they shouldn't have negative opinions on this website.

I do belong to their site. I do stay in contact with their support dept about what I am looking for on their site. They have been nothing but friendly on their end. They even sent me a package of swag from them since I showed interest in what they are trying to do. I don't have negative opinions, only my stance on when others try and come ruin the fun.

I could equally ask you why you have decided to take the position of apologist for opencaching.

This isn't a matter of hate, as you put it. Its a matter of an unnecessary and poorly thought out alternative site that, according to some very well-thought-out opinions, will very likely damage our sport. Competition is not always desirable. Even our anti-trust laws recognize the fact that sometimes a single point of contact is best for all concerned.

Many of us have tried repeatedly to show you why we feel that the site is counter to our (not Groundspeak's) best interest, but you steadfastly refuse to see our points, and instead happily go along saying, "it's all good". The fact that I could sell my "reviewer " votes alone should show you one glaring flaw in that system.

None of this has anything at all to do with "family fun", except for the fact that we want to see families continue to be able to have fun with this.

I could equally ask you why you have decided to take the position of apologist for opencaching.

This isn't a matter of hate, as you put it. Its a matter of an unnecessary and poorly thought out alternative site that, according to some very well-thought-out opinions, will very likely damage our sport. Competition is not always desirable. Even our anti-trust laws recognize the fact that sometimes a single point of contact is best for all concerned.

Many of us have tried repeatedly to show you why we feel that the site is counter to our (not Groundspeak's) best interest, but you steadfastly refuse to see our points, and instead happily go along saying, "it's all good". The fact that I could sell my "reviewer " votes alone should show you one glaring flaw in that system.

None of this has anything at all to do with "family fun", except for the fact that we want to see families continue to be able to have fun with this.

Do you see my points? I did not think so. ;) If you disagree with that place then why do you have a account there and even have caches published on it? Why worry so much when you all say that they will fail.

Do you see my points? I did not think so. ;) If you disagree with that place then why do you have a account there and even have caches published on it? Why worry so much when you all say that they will fail.

Ummm.... to show the flaws in the system, perhaps? You might want to take a closer look at that (single) cache I have published on there. And realize that you would not have known what you are about to know, had I not told you about it.

Glad their is not only one cell phone service then they could just name their price. Wake up. :blink:

If I could go back to the days before the breakup of the Bell system, I would do so in a heartbeat. Wake up.:blink:

So you do like the big monopolys running everything? That is your stance. Resecpt what you believe, I know that I do.

Hey, Knowschad. How's that cross-listed cache of yours in Alabama doing? I can't log on to that site from my current location or I'd look myself.

It is probably about to be deleted. Stay tuned.

Yeah, but not because of any "peer review" system. TUNED TO THE MAX DUDE.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Hey, Knowschad. How's that cross-listed cache of yours in Alabama doing? I can't log on to that site from my current location or I'd look myself.

:laughing:

You're laughing, but not for the same reasons we are. Stay tuned.

I know what you mean that is why I am :laughing:

Not because of a massive single point of failure in thier cross-posting service, I'm sure.

How long has that been out there now?

By the way, I posted this on another thread, but I think it is worth posting here as well. This is a list of the rules that our Minnesota reviewer (and Minnesota hiders, of course) need to keep in mind: http://mngca.org/guidelines

I just love it when people have to edite their first statement of, "You're laughing, but not for the same reasons we are. Stay tuned." Why the change of tone?

By the way, I posted this on another thread, but I think it is worth posting here as well. This is a list of the rules that our Minnesota reviewer (and Minnesota hiders, of course) need to keep in mind: http://mngca.org/guidelines

Thanks for the link, it is great to see the guidelines. I will pass it along. Thanks for helping out.

I just love it when people have to edite their first statement of, "You're laughing, but not for the same reasons we are. Stay tuned." Why the change of tone?

There's not change of tone. The statement that you have in quotations above is not what I edited, I edited this one:

...and then only because of a typo.

You're reading way too much into this.

Thanks for the link, it is great to see the guidelines. I will pass it along. Thanks for helping out.

No problem. Seriously, I hope that it is used. But I doubt it. I was just offered the opportunity to review a cache hidden in Germany, where the little bit of text about it was all in German. That tells me that Germans will also be able to review Minnesota caches. Something tells me they won't be using that link, even if they happen to have it bookmarked and remember to check it.

Not because of a massive single point of failure in thier cross-posting service, I'm sure.

Oh, wait.... I just remembered!!

That cross-listed cache was not hidden under this username. And I no longer remember the username or password for the account it was hidden under. Oh, well...:huh:

That cross-listed cache was not hidden under this username. And I no longer remember the username or password for the account it was hidden under. Oh, well...:huh:

I wonder if it has any (not-previous) finders yet...?

I wonder if it has any (not-previous) finders yet...?

I don't know, because I can't find the listing. Does this qualify as an "OH NOES" situation?

Hey... I found it!! I got very lucky, too. There were literally a dozen or more caches in the area that I had to check before I found it. Well, by area, I mean entire state, but you get my drift.

Anyway...

Activity

No one has logged an attempt to find this geocache yet.

But stay tuned... it could happen!

The negativity toward opencaching seems to come from a number of sources.

1. Loyalty to Geocaching.com. People have been using this site for a long time and even if they don't agree with every decision that Grounspeak makes, they find it to be the best geocaching site.

2. Have seen other sites come and go. Past attempts to start alternate geocaching sites have not been particularly succesful. Generally they fizzle out after a few years. Even with Garmin's deep pockets, there is no real reason to believe that opencaching will be any different.

3. Concerns about the review process. In part this is caused by a belief that any bad cache that gets through the process could lead to disastrous consequences to geoaching in general (e.g. laws passed to outlaw geocaching). Of course there are bad caches that get by Grounspeak reveiwers as well. In reality land managers are going to be more concerned that there is a process to remove bad caches quickly when they are discovered. Opencaching.com has a way to report a cache and that problem caches are archived. In addition the review process for new caches is being refined as problems are discovered. I personally find this a poor reason to be negative about Opencaching.

4. Viewing opencaching.com as being fully mature when it is in fact still a beta. The review process and other sections of the site are being tweaked as the Garmin team discovers problems. Also because it is a new site there are few caches being submitted. For this reason when you look at the review queue you may see caches from around the world. There are no caches in the queue that are close to you, so you are given a chance to review caches further away. As the site grows, you will probably see only close caches, there just aren't that many right now.

5. Perceived problems with cross-listing (or not cross-listing) of caches. Cross listing of Geocaching.com caches on opencaching.com may cause problems when OX cachers find a travel bug. Travel bugs must be tracked on Geoaching.com. A bug might get moved to a non cross listed OX cache and there would be no way to mark where it it. In any case an OX cacher may not want to set up a GC account and log travel bug movements at all. Non cross listed caches may cause proximity issues. An OX cache could be placed at the same coordinates as a GC cache. Note that there are already other games (e.g. letterboxing) where this could be a problem. In my opinion these problems are no worse than the problems letterboxers saw when that upstart geocaching.com came on the scene 10 years ago. Sure there are more geocaches now then there were letterboxes then, but with a little education so both groups are aware of the other and most problems can be worked out. It seems likely that GCers and OXers will be aware of one another.

6. Perception of opencaching as being the home to troublemakers. Often what happens with alternative sites is that people who have been banned from GC.com or otherwise have a beef with Groundspeak are attracted to these sites. They are of course people who like geocaching and if Groundspeak has made it difficult for them to geocache, the alternative site are that much more attractive. If people have been banned from the Groundspeak forums, they may spend time on the new site forum criticizing Groundspeak because they aren't able to do so here. While they may seem to dominate some threads in the opencaching forums, these people are a tiny minority and don't represent Opencaching at all.

Hey... I found it!! I got very lucky, too. There were literally a dozen or more caches in the area that I had to check before I found it. Well, by area, I mean entire state, but you get my drift.

Anyway...

Activity

I tried to use their API to pull down the information for your state to see if ANYBODY is logging caches, but ran into problems with their Account/password setup (again). Got past that but now the API connection appears to be broken and so can't download cache information to run through GSAK.

Nevertheless, I'm betting you're going to have a long wait before you get a legitimate log entry on that cache. smile.gif

The negativity toward opencaching seems to come from a number of sources.

1. Loyalty to Geocaching.com. People have been using this site for a long time and even if they don't agree with every decision that Grounspeak makes, they find it to be the best geocaching site.

2. Have seen other sites come and go. Past attempts to start alternate geocaching sites have not been particularly succesful. Generally they fizzle out after a few years. Even with Garmin's deep pockets, there is no real reason to believe that opencaching will be any different.

3. Concerns about the review process. In part this is caused by a belief that any bad cache that gets through the process could lead to disastrous consequences to geoaching in general (e.g. laws passed to outlaw geocaching). Of course there are bad caches that get by Grounspeak reveiwers as well. In reality land managers are going to be more concerned that there is a process to remove bad caches quickly when they are discovered. Opencaching.com has a way to report a cache and that problem caches are archived. In addition the review process for new caches is being refined as problems are discovered. I personally find this a poor reason to be negative about Opencaching.

4. Viewing opencaching.com as being fully mature when it is in fact still a beta. The review process and other sections of the site are being tweaked as the Garmin team discovers problems. Also because it is a new site there are few caches being submitted. For this reason when you look at the review queue you may see caches from around the world. There are no caches in the queue that are close to you, so you are given a chance to review caches further away. As the site grows, you will probably see only close caches, there just aren't that many right now.

5. Perceived problems with cross-listing (or not cross-listing) of caches. Cross listing of Geocaching.com caches on opencaching.com may cause problems when OX cachers find a travel bug. Travel bugs must be tracked on Geoaching.com. A bug might get moved to a non cross listed OX cache and there would be no way to mark where it it. In any case an OX cacher may not want to set up a GC account and log travel bug movements at all. Non cross listed caches may cause proximity issues. An OX cache could be placed at the same coordinates as a GC cache. Note that there are already other games (e.g. letterboxing) where this could be a problem. In my opinion these problems are no worse than the problems letterboxers saw when that upstart geocaching.com came on the scene 10 years ago. Sure there are more geocaches now then there were letterboxes then, but with a little education so both groups are aware of the other and most problems can be worked out. It seems likely that GCers and OXers will be aware of one another.

6. Perception of opencaching as being the home to troublemakers. Often what happens with alternative sites is that people who have been banned from GC.com or otherwise have a beef with Groundspeak are attracted to these sites. They are of course people who like geocaching and if Groundspeak has made it difficult for them to geocache, the alternative site are that much more attractive. If people have been banned from the Groundspeak forums, they may spend time on the new site forum criticizing Groundspeak because they aren't able to do so here. While they may seem to dominate some threads in the opencaching forums, these people are a tiny minority and don't represent Opencaching at all.

Well said tozainamboku, you put alot of thought into your post.

Anyway...

Activity

Wow, so OC is like the Waymarking of geocaching then? :P

Anyway...

Activity

I tried to use their API to pull down the information for your state to see if ANYBODY is logging caches, but ran into problems with their Account/password setup (again). Got past that but now the API connection appears to be broken and so can't download cache information to run through GSAK.

Nevertheless, I'm betting you're going to have a long wait before you get a legitimate log entry on that cache. smile.gif

Maybe I'll log a find on it. After all, I have found it*.

*Once before performing maintenance.