That sinking feeling . . .

mumbo jumbo

We were at the O2 for the Masters tennis the other day. I had my GPS cos I wanted to take some E/W meridian photos, preferably at a cache if time permitted. Time did not permit but I checked how close we were to the meridian in the car park on our way out. Just time to take a photo or two of a TB with the O2 in the background. Job done, off we went...

One hour later, on the M1, it dawned on me that my Oregon was on the roof of the car... Oh BU@@ER!

I know what I want for Christmas <_<

mj

We were at the O2 for the Masters tennis the other day. I had my GPS cos I wanted to take some E/W meridian photos, preferably at a cache if time permitted. Time did not permit but I checked how close we were to the meridian in the car park on our way out. Just time to take a photo or two of a TB with the O2 in the background. Job done, off we went...

One hour later, on the M1, it dawned on me that my Oregon was on the roof of the car... Oh BU@@ER!

I know what I want for Christmas <_<

mj

I did that on Monday... Put the 60CSx on the car roof to record a set of parking co-ordinates while I sat on the back with the tailgate open to change out of my boots. I'd just started to move off the lay-by when I remembered the GPSr was still on the roof. Could have lost it..... ;)B)

I know what I want for Christmas :lol:

mj

Count your blessings..... :rolleyes:

Oh no :rolleyes::lol:

Did you have your contact details in the start up screen? If so, keep your fingers cross that it fell off 'gently' and some kind soul found it and switches it on.

I had my contact details on the start up screen of my old Legend but never worked out if / how I could do that on the Oregon. Probably just me being dim. So, no - it's a gonner unfortunately.

mj

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I Know that feeling!

Put mine on the roof of the car while talking got in and drove off, fortunately as i braked for the first junction it slid forward and down the windscreen coming to rest on the windscreen wipers!

How lucky was i :rolleyes:

A few weeks later i dropped it and it landed face down on soft earth with just one stone visible and that was enough :lol: Shattered the screen, £100 and 4 days later a replacement arrived.

But this one does not display the contact details on start up for some reason!

Oh no :rolleyes::lol:

Did you have your contact details in the start up screen? If so, keep your fingers cross that it fell off 'gently' and some kind soul found it and switches it on.

I had my contact details on the start up screen of my old Legend but never worked out if / how I could do that on the Oregon. Probably just me being dim. So, no - it's a gonner unfortunately.

mj

Instructions here .... unfortunately a little late for you :cool:

A few years back we came back from a cache the car boot was full as we were travelling around, the family all got in the car while I sorted the boots out. Then I went to shut the boot lid it would not go all the way down, thinking it was just a sleeping bag fighting back I opened the boot and slammed it down harder, still it did not work so had another go. Still not able to close it I opened the boot up to see the PDA in the way, it never did turn on again, although I kept it for a couple of years for some bizarre reason. So I now always check no one has left anything in the way of the boot lid.

Not left anything on the roof since loosing a brand new jacket a few years back.

Is it worth you contacting the O2 just in case.....

Aaaaargh what a bummer :rolleyes:

As gus suggests, contacting the O2 might be worth doing, I'd've thought it would have dropped off the roof pretty early on, probably at the first turning (Delta68's must have been lying on a patch of glue!). Someone may have found it in the car park and handed it in.

I've put a little sticker with my name & number inside the battery compartment of my GPSr.

Noooo :rolleyes: what a pain! I hope you manage to get it back

I did that with my first ever mobile phone, one of the original Nokia bricks, it fell off the car roof, I then realised what I had done but managed to reverse over it, doh, and somehow it survived!

I saw them doing all sorts of evil things to a Garmin Oregon on the Gadget Show, blowing it up etc, and it still worked, so even if someone has done the unthinkable and run your baby over, it just might still be alive. Definitely worth contacting the O2, there are SOME honest people out there, someone may well have turned it in.

Thanks for the idea of putting contact details on the startup screen, at the moment ours just says “Welcome CHAOS CREW!”, which wouldn’t be an awful lot of help if it got lost (unless found by a fellow local cacher or user of these forums who recognised our team name I guess)

Noooo :D what a pain! I hope you manage to get it back

I did that with my first ever mobile phone, one of the original Nokia bricks, it fell off the car roof, I then realised what I had done but managed to reverse over it, doh, and somehow it survived!

I saw them doing all sorts of evil things to a Garmin Oregon on the Gadget Show, blowing it up etc, and it still worked, so even if someone has done the unthinkable and run your baby over, it just might still be alive. Definitely worth contacting the O2, there are SOME honest people out there, someone may well have turned it in.

Thanks for the idea of putting contact details on the startup screen, at the moment ours just says “Welcome CHAOS CREW!”, which wouldn’t be an awful lot of help if it got lost (unless found by a fellow local cacher or user of these forums who recognised our team name I guess)

Does anyone know if you can put your contact details on the startup screen for a colorado? I haven't seen any instrustions anywhere. Thanks

Does anyone know if you can put your contact details on the startup screen for a colorado? I haven't seen any instrustions anywhere. Thanks

Taken from the Colorado Wiki page

Yes, starting in Beta Software 2.92. Connect your Colorado to a computer in USB mass storage mode and edit file [CO drive]:\Garmin\startup.txt in a text editor like notepad. You can add several lines of text (at least 5) at the end of this file which will be displayed just before the first screen is displayed at power on. This feature is useful for adding contact information in case the unit is lost.

Modifying the line <display=0> in the same file will change the the number of seconds that custom startup message is displayed (i.e. <display=5> will display the messge for 5 seconds). Note your boot time will increase by the same number of seconds, so a value between 5-10 seconds is a reasonable setting.

Edited by spannerman

Bad luck mumbo jumbo - I really feel for you.

As well as putting details on the start up screen I'd seriously consider having it on the menu pages as well as not everyone watches the screen at start-up - instructions here. Personally I have a single line with email/phone details across the top of the screen which can be read above the menu icons. It's a simple edit job using the Paint accessory (on Windows) or any other picture editing software:

59248111.th.png

Click thumbnail to see full size

Edited by FollowMeChaps

Taken from the Colorado Wiki page

Yes, starting in Beta Software 2.92. Connect your Colorado to a computer in USB mass storage mode and edit file [CO drive]:\Garmin\startup.txt in a text editor like notepad. You can add several lines of text (at least 5) at the end of this file which will be displayed just before the first screen is displayed at power on. This feature is useful for adding contact information in case the unit is lost.

Modifying the line <display=0> in the same file will change the the number of seconds that custom startup message is displayed (i.e. <display=5> will display the messge for 5 seconds). Note your boot time will increase by the same number of seconds, so a value between 5-10 seconds is a reasonable setting.

Thank-you - will do that