'Man over-board'

goosegogger

The function of MOB is to create a waypoint and immediately start navigating back to that point. To that end it isn't really optimum for marking your car. Usually there is a quick way to mark the location you are currently at. Most of the time it is faster to just mark a waypoint than to find the MOB function of the GPS.

Depending on what unit you have, many GPS units can reposition a waypoint. I have several waypoints set up such as National Car that when I get to a new rental location I edit the waypoint using the reposition here function. I find it is quicker and I can create a more descriptive name when I am not in a rush.

Its a feature obviously for use on nautical GPS. We have this feature on both of our dive club boats. Its great for hitting in an emergency situation such as MO, when you can just return immediately to that position. Its also good for hitting in other situations where you may later need to relay that position to the coastguard or other agency.

After a recent (I can't remember which) software update, Garmins which have the Geocaching profile selected would not display the Man Overboard (and a couple of other) menu icons - at least, they don't on the Oregon 550t and Dakota 20 I have. The fix is to go to Setup > Main Menu. Scroll to the last page and you will see the menu icons there, greyed out. Select each in turn, and put it in a different place, and they then become - and will remain - activated, as will the replaced menu items.

After a recent (I can't remember which) software update, Garmins which have the Geocaching profile selected would not display the Man Overboard (and a couple of other) menu icons - at least, they don't on the Oregon 550t and Dakota 20 I have. The fix is to go to Setup > Main Menu. Scroll to the last page and you will see the menu icons there, greyed out. Select each in turn, and put it in a different place, and they then become - and will remain - activated, as will the replaced menu items.

Thanks, got it now. Not sure if I will ever use it though.