Nano's Who like them?

burtsbodgers

Hi all

Just a thought as there seems to be a lot of negative vibes about Nano caches.

So here goes..... who likes them and why ?

I personally like them, well i do when i hide them...

I have hidden 9 so far out of the total of 60 caches that i have hidden, and by far the best feed back i get are about the Nano's.

So do other cachers enjoy hides like mine, which are the best ones you have done (possibly to give me more ideas!)

I must admit, apart from a couple of plain Nano's which have replaced smalls that keep getting muggled, mine are disguised to become fun nano's....

So come on are they really like marmite do you either love em or hate em?

If they're hidden with imagination, or they're clever, or there's something about it that makes you smile, then they're good.

If they're hidden where a small (or larger) container could be hidden just as easily... then I'd rather see a proper container.

Nanos on the back of signs are a bit predictable but in many urban areas that's often the best that can be hidden. It's something to look for if you just want to find something... anything!... sometimes that's enough.

MrsB <_<

I've found one nano that I liked. It was inside a pinecone. That was clever. Other than that I dislike nanos, their logsheet, and they think they're so cute. Ha. They're usually boring caches.

I wish there was a size listing for nano so I could ignore them. I don't mind micros.

There are boring ones, but that can be said for all cache sizes.

Have a look at the logs on this one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...9b-8af679437cb2

or this one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...89-15db19d04bfe

Both are Nano's and the logs speak for themselves.....

if you ignore this type/size of cache you will miss out on some good ones.....

I've found one nano that I liked. It was inside a pinecone. That was clever. Other than that I dislike nanos, their logsheet, and they think they're so cute. Ha. They're usually boring caches.

I wish there was a size listing for nano so I could ignore them. I don't mind micros.

or this one

I'd like an easily found nano in a park if an ammo can couldn't be used. I'll agree to that. The second cache you posted doesn't sound like one I'd like. No walk, no good view.

Just that I haven't come across that yet. Hopefully I do!

I guess I could filter based on scenic view? Is that possible?

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

My problem with nanos is that once the paper comes out and I unroll it to initial it I usually have trouble rolling it up again. So when I do find one I just write TT over the top of whatever is closest to me, on the basis it's either that or having to cut bits off the log to get it back in.

Sometimes if I can't even get the log out I just take a picture of the cache to prove I found it, but then you get the people who insist that despite finding it, retrieving it, opening it, and taking a picture to prove I had it in my hand and opened it, it still doesn't count because I didn't initial the log.

Mostly, I hate nanos. The notable exception for me was a neat set of red nanos attached to postboxes. They were easy for cachers to find and sufficiently unobtrusive that the general public weren't going to discover them accidentally. Really the perfect container for that postman-themed series.

But, yeah, on average nanos are rubbish.

For those struggling with the logs in Nano's

Unroll and sign the log, this is best done with your initials as full name quickly fill the logs.

Fold one end of the log with a right angle, about 1 cm, using this this as a hold roll the rest of the log around the fold, this gives you some purchase on the log and you can tighten the log so that ot will fit easily back into the container.

Small fingers help, but as mine are like sausages and i use this method when out in the field.

Although being a Scout i also carry a trusty swiss army knife with tweezers, and these little tweezers are perfect for the job.

or this one

I'd like an easily found nano in a park if an ammo can couldn't be used. I'll agree to that. The second cache you posted doesn't sound like one I'd like. No walk, no good view.

Just that I haven't come across that yet. Hopefully I do!

I guess I could filter based on scenic view? Is that possible?

The first due to the proximity of other caches could only really be placed where it is and the container was aptly named for the location...

the second was placed once again because of the adjacent building (have a look on google map) the first circular public Library in the country and once again fitted the cache and theme, which does merit a cache.

Nanos make up the majority of caches on my iggy list - most of the time I just can't be bothered with them. Although nine times out of ten it's not actually the size per sey that's the issue, just that nanos tend to be urban and I personally just don't enjoy caching in those sorts of areas.

If the area looks like a nice or interesting place to visit then I will find them, but if it's just a random phone box on a street corner (lots of these around my way for some reason :rolleyes: ) then it's straight on the iggy list.

Agree with MrsB that that Nanos have their place, but if something bigger is possible I would always prefer a bigger cache to a nano.

Oh and please don't list them as 'other'. If people took time to read the guidlines properly they would realise they should be listed as micro just like Bear & Ragged have already pointed out.

Most of the ones I've found have been in towns where you can see why they need to be that size and until this last weekend I would have agreed that if out in the woods etc then I would prefer to be searching for a bigger container

BUT... I was visiting a friend this weekend and we took the dogs a wander in the local woods and it would have been rude not to hunt for what tupperware etc I knew was there. I actually really enjoyed the nano hides as much as the other ones although if ALL of them had been nano I probably would have been a bit fed up by the end of the day.

So I guess I'll go with like, even out in country but only if there's a good mix of finding options there....

I don't like them personally but I do realise that they do have their place. I found one only yesterday, the log was full and it was not in a particularly good location. In fact the log owner, in his description, had stated that he had placed it to fill a gap between caches. They should only be used when nothing else will do, IMHO.

I like nanos as they like other caches take you to places you would not see,but folk who put their whole familys names down in the tiny log means it has to be replaced sooner so that bit im not keen on,but what i would like is more cachers to join in and help each other by replacing full logs rather than go to the trouble to post on the website that the log is full,you are there finding it,so you are there you could replace it,im sure it would work both ways for all cachers,what about a new years resolution to carry a set of log books, i have been doing that for years and have a set of about 30 of varying types and get lots of nice comments in return,happy caching and a merry christmas to you all jeff=bones1.

I love them as long as they are in Europe.

:( And as long as the lampost skirt caches stay in the US ;)

I have no issues with a nano, but like all caches as long as it is the right size for the location and there is a reason to place a cache in that location: be it a great view, or interesting location or clever hide, then its a good one. I have seen plenty of nanos on street signs for no other reason that the CO had a nano and walked past a street sign, put one and one together and ended up with a duff location! Then again I've seen bigger caches chucked behind a tree on a piece of waste land for no reason whatsoever.

My pet hates with nanos are getting the logs back in, an urban hide in a high muggle location with a very vague or no clue. Full log books that have been reported and not dealt with.

I came across a nano recently it had only been found by a couple of cachers both newbies who wrote the full date, their account name and a message, I managed to squeeze me initials in the end of the first side, that one will need replacing pretty soon. :(

:( And as long as the lampost skirt caches stay in the US :P

There are 3 lampost skirt caches here in North Wales no more than 10 miles from my home.

And probabl lots more further on?

I would post a link to the cache pages but then you would know where to look for the cache! :D

So ... they are well and truely here!

It's nice to know the local authority up there are happy to have people playing with their lamp posts. Hopefully we'll never get permission for them down here ;)

:(

The best nano we've ever found had a colour painted inside and we had to email the CO stating the colour before we could claim the cache. No fiddling about with those pesky bits of paper! :(

There were one or two down Hampshire way that just contained a small piece of paper with a number on it. E-mail the CO the number to claim the cache... I'm pretty sure that they were subsequently dis-allowed by the reviewers as a cache HAS to contain a log-book/sheet for the finder to sign.

The best nano we've ever found had a colour painted inside and we had to email the CO stating the colour before we could claim the cache. No fiddling about with those pesky bits of paper! :(
I'm pretty sure that they were subsequently dis-allowed by the reviewers as a cache HAS to contain a log-book/sheet for the finder to sign.

I wonder if a reviewer could confirm that?

I thought that was a great idea! :(

The best nano we've ever found had a colour painted inside and we had to email the CO stating the colour before we could claim the cache. No fiddling about with those pesky bits of paper! :)

There were one or two down Hampshire way that just contained a small piece of paper with a number on it. E-mail the CO the number to claim the cache... I'm pretty sure that they were subsequently dis-allowed by the reviewers as a cache HAS to contain a log-book/sheet for the finder to sign.

Yes, I found one like that, but it had already been changed to contain a log:

http://coord.info/GC1EJA5

A log is required per the guidelines.

Nanos have their place.

If caching with children I try to avoid them as they would rather find McD's toys and other tat from real caches.

Yes, very true, although I have found cleverly diguised nanos, particularly animal shapes (trying not to give too much away here!) have proved fun for the 3 year old, but the risk is he wants the container as a swap...

Just a thought as there seems to be a lot of negative vibes about Nano caches.

So here goes..... who likes them and why ?

I realise you asked who liked them and not who DOESN'T like them, but here goes anyway :rolleyes: .

My general preference is for caches to be as large as the location and the hide allow. I would not like to see a nano where a micro would fit, nor a micro where a small or regular could be hidden. I prefer a decent size cache with some interesting contents. Add to that the fiddliness of replacing a nano log, especially with cold hands, and for me they are a size of cache to be used only for individual and specific reasons.

For the top approx 2% of caches I find I make and award unique geocoins, so I rate each cache I find to see if it qualifies. Out of 3000 caches I've found I would guess that no nano has reached the top 50%, yet alone the top 2%!

Rgds, Andy

Nanos have their place.

If caching with children I try to avoid them as they would rather find McD's toys and other tat from real caches.

Wow! That's a real endorsement of larger caches. :rolleyes:

I assume your tongue was placed in between your cheeks. :ph34r:

Edited by currykev