Inappropriate travel bug???

HearingTurtle

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

Yeah, yeah...you're the one who needs to listen.

Do you not know what a caricature is? Apparently not.

Yes, I lack tact when dealing with fools. So sue me.

Statue of David: In proportion to the body. Not a caricature.

Cherubs: Again in proportion. Not a caricature.

You haven't made very good counterpoints. All you're hung up with is the nudity issue. I'm talking about the gross emphasis on sexual organs.

Why do you insist only on arguing the nudity point?

George

Why do you insist on arguing the characture point?

The biggest reason I'm not using that word is that I can't spell the dadgum thing.

Odds are I could quote you and make your own arguments for you, but I truly doubt you could do the same for what I’m getting at. Still to somewhat trivialize your main thrust “Small Good, Big Bad”. Though I truly doubt that a monkey doll with normally sized equipment would fit your definition of appropriate. Read your own arguments.

You missed your easy out on this entire debate. If they could not sell it to minors in a normal store then it doesn't belong in a cache. The argument about inappropriate becomes a moot point before the law.

As for your fool comment. Nice touch. Your true colors are showing. Your belittling tone and condescending attitude are not skills to be proud of. Putting them on display in the forums was not a good move. If you learn nothing else from this thread take that home and smoke it with your cigar.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

As usual, you just don't get it. Actually, I think you do, but are too stubborn to admit it.

The only reason someone has to do something like this is to shock and offend to get ther jollies. What other point is there?

It's not an issue of nakedness. As I've said repeatedly, animals (i.e non-human) tend to be naked.

The thrust of my argument is that the message sent by emphasizing and/or grossly distorting the size of the sexual organ is inappropriate. You refuse to address this. What message is it sending?

Go ahead and find a monkey doll with appropriately sized "equipment". I wouldn't have a problem with that. I've seen many plastic animal figures that are anatomically correct. Like I've said, animals are naked. No big deal. (Go ahead and try to quote against me, I don't know what that is all about)

Yes. I think you are a fool. I think you're just arguing for the point of being "counter-culture". Your arguments (here and elsewhere) are sophmoric and inane, and you clumsily dodge any questions you don't want to answer.

George

The aforementioned pneumatic predecessor on a stuffed monkey isn't "nudity" it is a message of exhibitionism, and like all such messages, the message is satisfied by the controversy. The goal was to offend, and the offense was granted.

Power tripping isn't a part of Gecaching anymore than exhibitionism, parody and Bawdy jokes/ items in family caches.

The offense , like beauty is in the eyes of the brholder, and in the intent of the messenger.

There is no way the person who places such objects can be ignorant of the effect such placement would have.

Morals are limits we set on ourselves, and they can not be transferred involuntarily to others. They are learned and adjusted by each of us.

It is obvious that some people consider different things as acceptable than I do, therefor before I expose ( No pun intended)- my autistic child to these items I will have to go "out of my way" to preview all caches BEFORE leaving the home. this has caused a loss of some of the pleasure and surprise which I feel is and should be a part of adventuring on a hunt.

A certain "responsibility" to stadards should be expected, and like the prankster who boobytraps the unwary, common sense just isn't all that common

Jeff Scism, IBSSG http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

Time to hide

a treasure inside,

and what will we find?

A dream

a trinket,

stimulation for the mind?

Log: Neat stuff, Thanks!!

Log Two: Took serial number keychain, put stuffed dog back.

Log Three: Took log pages, No TP.

Log four: Took Ammo can, Left nothing.

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

Wow. I'm impressed at the durability of this thread. It just won't die.

I have been hoping it would just fade away, but it just hasn't.

I know, I KNOW--don't read it.....

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Look, we're all intelligent adults here, right? Well, most of us anyway. So there's no reason to argue appropriate vs inappropriate. Let's learn our lesson and put it to good use.

If you know that the cache you're going to visit has a TB, check it out before you go and be sure to look at the image. If you feel that the TB is inappropriate for your kids, then you could skip the cache.

A more appropriate solution would be to visit the cache but leave the TB behind. Don't even acknowledge it. If enough people 'boycott' a TB, then it's only a matter of time before TB owners will get the point and start using more appropriate items.

This sounds way too much like economics. icon_smile.gif

For the record, I had a real laugh when I saw the image of Rudolf. Probably not the best choice for a TB. And, to be honest, I'm not sure if I would nab it if I encountered it in a cache.

quote:
I read most of these posts...my question is why didn't somebody just put a pair of pants on the THING?

Forget about the THING! Now The HULK is involved too! icon_eek.gif

You wouldn't want to make him angry; but some might like him that way. icon_wink.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Look,

Lets all be realistic here. There is nothing that is a major cause for concern on this travel bug. It's funny, you cant deny that. I have an 8 year old son, and First of all, I would scout the cache before I got there, and you can see what the travel bug is. Second of all, if we did come across this travel bug, and my son (Bryan) asked me what it was, I'd tell him it was the monkey;s penis. "why does the monkey have his penis showing?" , cause he has no clothes on...

We all have these parts, theres no reason to be afraid of them, or to hide them. when did our society become so shielded from the truth, that we are ashamed of our own body parts. Do people really think that their child will become mentally disturbed because they saw a stuffed monkey with a penis??? get a grip. it would be different if the person had actually put a keychain of people actually haveing sex, crude keychains we have all seen in tourist shops on vacation...that would be innapropriate.

As long as im around, my children will be told and shown the truth. I will not hide my 8 year old child from a stuffed monkey with a penis. If he cant cope with that, how will he be able to cope with the greater problems and issues in his life. If you explain what is what in our world to your children, instead of hiding them from it....then maybe when theyre finally out on their own, they wont be so intruigued and drawn by something theyve seen already. plus, you know your child will be honest with you, if you are honest with them, cause then they have nothing to hide.

I would fight for the right for someone to put a stuffed monkey with its penis showing as a travel bug,

and i would hope you would too.

thanks,

NoStRaL

NoStRaL

As an adult, I think this item is funny.

But, for me, it isn't that simple. Within a month, I will become a father for the first time. This gift will be my responsibility to raise as my wife and I so choose. I will be damned to let someone else dictate to me what and when I should teach my daughter about this matter. That is my right as a parent to decide. Nor am I to bear the responsibility to teach my niece or nephew if they happen to be with my on my journey.

I would avoid caches with material such as this if I knew about it before I set out. Unfortunately, that is often difficult, if not impossible, to know what is in a cache before it is opened. I don't think items such as this should be banned, but I would hope that when items such as this are placed, that they have the courtesy to provide a warning or some way to censor the item. Something as simple as a wristband (you know, from the 80's) to form a temporary pair of pants.

I might be off topic but inappropriate or not whoever took this travel bug and anyone who would take a TB for any reason is wrong. In my opinion removing a travel bug is theft and last time I went to church that was still a sin. If you want to play "moral policeman" take some duct tape and cover up what offends you. Much like letting your children surf the internet if you want to protect them the best way is to watch them, and always open the cache yourself to check the contents. Protecting your children is YOUR responsabilty and should not be left to others.

Travel bugs are meant to be fun and most of all to travel. Sadly many get stolen and it is especially sad for me to see that some cachers in this thread don't seem to have a problem with that when it suits them.

so my final opinion is that removing someone's travel bug because you take offense to it is wrong. Censoring the bug with duct tape and/or leaving it be is the more appropriate answer.

Me personally, I think the monkey is kind of funny, however, I wouldn't want my child to end up with it until he was older.

I always try to keep in mind that whatever I put into a cache, a parent my have to explain to their children. Yes, I sometimes put items like pocket knives into a cache, but those are everyday items and a parent who doesn't approve can simply tell their child "no" without having to explain comparative anatomy and reproductive biology.

I'm not one to advocate censorship. I don't think this bug (or ones like it) should be banned from the sport. (How many of you have run into the "Geocache This" women's panties that are being found in caches?) However, I DO think that anyone playing this game should remember that it's family oriented and try to select items that are at least PG-13.

Maybe someone who knows this bug's owner might be persuaded to ask him to rethink???

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin; the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentance is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity. --Lazarus Long

What I really want to know is this. When they invented stuffed animals who decided to leave parts off?

Now parents everywhere are having to explain to their kids why real animals have parts the stuffed ones don't. I'm telling you there is no escaping this parenting thing. The questions will come and you will answer them and raise your kids right. Or they will figure it all out on their own the hard way.

I could see how it could be deemed offensive. I have four daughters that have recently gotten into caching and I wouldn't be thrilled for them to see this item but I wouldn't be mortified if they did. Let's face facts, the world if full of people with different ideas about what is rude and offensive. Some times you've got to just shrug it off. Besides, who wants every single cache to be exactly the same? Consider this a little "spice". If it bothers you then don't visit those caches or carry some duck tape to cover the poor critter's privates. And, if you're like me and cache with children, always inspect the items before you share them with the rest of the family. It could save you some future embarrassement.