Inappropriate travel bug???

HearingTurtle

although i don't think it's appropriate AND i recognize that the occasional unsupervised child finds a container, you can make a rule that there is simply NO UNSUPERVISED OPENING OF CONTAINERS.

if it's practical to rule that children will not play with firearms, firestarter, or power tools without you there, it is practical to make a rule about opening caches.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

and although i have not seen whales mating in person, i know that a whale's bit is just not that large IN PROPORTION TO HIS BODY.

ten feet just isn't that big when you weigh that many tons.

I don't think my children should have to avoid enjoying being the first to open a cache just because some "adults" have a very juvenile sense of humor.

When I see something like that, I'm not thinking "Hey, what a great sense of humor", I'm thinking "Geez, what an idiot."

My kids know about the various body parts, but they, too, would look at that travel bug and say "Mom, why would someone put something so stupid in a cache?" They're both under 10 years of age.

So, I dunno - the fact that the original cacher thought it was funny enough to even consider as a travel bug says more about the cacher than about any of us who might object.

Shannah

Yep, tacky. Would not appreciate it if it offended someone in my caching group, and had to listen to them whine about it all day.

My kid seeing it? Kids see an Herbal Essence commercial lately? (By the way, if anyone knows someone responsible for those commercials, please smack them with a heavy object for me.) How about a movie ad that made you cringe.

Chances are, if they make any deal at all about it, they know too much already.

Yep, it would at least have a pair of shorts if I found it. Cant stand being shown up, even if it is a stuffed monkey.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

quote:
Yep, it would at least have a pair of shorts if I found it

There's your answer -could the next cacher please brake out the sewing machine or go to build -a- bear and get a pair of shorts for this TB........

GOT IT FOUND IT,Whats in it????? oh a dirty golf ball, a broken Mctoy and some soggy candy melted in the heat...So log it and grab the TB and lets go.. Wait the TB hasn't been here for 5 months....Dam it I'm glad I drove 60 miles for it!!!!

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

Everyone retains their own right to either participate with a certain travel bug or not. I think its quite funny and would probably take it just to show it to friends. Generation gap maybe but, nonetheless, it can be perceived as offensive. People are aware of what travel bug they may find in a cache before they go there and to take the appropriate steps if they choose to participate. Everyone who creates a travel bug wants to do something unique. This was accomplished.

Many others, many caches.

Cheers

quote:

I just saw the actual full size picture. That is pretty-bad. Just wouldn't take kids to that one. To ban it however would mean that rules should be placed on placing religious propaganda, business cards, objectionable literature and 'nude monkeys.'

ZiiX

[This message was edited by ZiiX on April 27, 2003 at 04:45 PM.]

No real need to ban it. Just take it out of circulation, or modify it.

A TB relies on the cooperation of other players. If it is offensive enough, other players will take it out of the game.

Is this right? That's debatable, but was it right for someone to introduce something highly offensive to the game in the first place?

George

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

A TB relies on the cooperation of other players. If it is offensive enough, other players will take it out of the game.

Is this right? That's debatable, but was it right for someone to introduce something highly offensive to the game in the first place?

George

Im still trying to decide how a stuffed money with a big penis is more offensive then some other travelers.... How about called Fat B@5T@RD! that requests you to call up someone tell the same is getting closer? Or someone's undergarments, or any sort of religious or superstitious item. They are all offensive to someone... I think we all need to RELAX.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

It doesn't matter what you think is offensive. It matters what the people who are going to be interacting with think is offensive.

If the offensiveness crosses a certain threshold (which varies from person to person) there's a good chance the TB will meet an untimely fate.

If you want a long lasting TB, you'd best choose one that is acceptable, if not adoroable, to the mainstream public.

George

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Family friendly is a relative thing. Trust me on this. Would any permanante psychological damage result? I doubt it. If the kids freaked out at the sight instead of laughing I suspect skeletons in the closet.

RK: Thank you for injecting some reason to this thread. I was thinking the same thing till I read your post.

Although, George's previous comment rings true. I believe in respecting other people's property, but for example; if someone put a KKK bug, or some such other thing that I found totally offensive; I might just be tempted to help it go MIA. Per George's threshold limits; mine are pretty tolerant as long as it's in good fun.

Taste is another matter. I'm sure a thread or two will get started over the names on my TB list. (Whoops, there already has, but it was resolved even before I discovered the thread.)

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

The greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

At last check, 42% of those who voted thought that Geocaching.com should ban this type of travel bug.

I would be willing to bet that single cachers found the nekked monkey amusing, while those who are married and/or with children thought it was offensive.

I can see both sides of the issue. Someone said not to be the "Geocaching police". But what would you do if you found a vibrator, or Motion Lotion, in a cache? Gone, to say the least. This is a sport where we SHOULD be self-policing. No one else is going to do it for us. No rule can cover this, as each one of us has different levels of acceptance regarding those items. Just trade something for the "offensive" item, or perhaps attach the travel bug tag to a different item or none at all, I don't know for certain.

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

At last check, 42% of those who voted thought that Geocaching.com should ban this type of travel bug.

I would be willing to bet that single cachers found the nekked monkey amusing, while those who are married and/or with children thought it was offensive.

I can see both sides of the issue. Someone said not to be the "Geocaching police". But what would you do if you found a vibrator, or Motion Lotion, in a cache? Gone, to say the least. This is a sport where we SHOULD be self-policing. No one else is going to do it for us. No rule can cover this, as each one of us has different levels of acceptance regarding those items. Just trade something for the "offensive" item, or perhaps attach the travel bug tag to a different item or none at all, I don't know for certain.

I'm in the married with children group. If Al Bundy thinks it is funny, so do I icon_smile.gif

bandbass.gif

i'm not offended by nudity. things of a sexual nature do not upset me. and if i were any more relaxed, i'd be unconscious.

what i hate is cheesy double entendres and smirking references. they make me think that the people making them are not mature enough for the subject matter.

it's like fart jokes. if one happens and it's funny, it's a good joke. if it's funny to you BECAUSE it's about farts, your sense of humor is questionable. i expect this out of children between the ages of 5 and 14. after that it gets tedious.

reader's digest version: just keep it out of the caches, OK? the object of the toy seems to be to show off the monkey's penis, and i just don't think it's funny.

of course, it's better than a live monkey...

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

what i hate is cheesy double entendres and smirking references. they make me think that the people making them are not mature enough for the subject matter.

Hmm...now who would you be referring to...

Ya know I am a sex offender therapist and this raises questions. Specificaly that geocahing is a family activity and in essance every time a child or some on else finds this they are being offended.

While I would not be fazed with it I don't think this should be allowed

quote:
Originally posted by Trapper68:

Ya know I am a sex offender therapist and this raises questions. Specificaly that geocahing is a family activity and in essance every time a child or some on else finds this they are being offended.

While I would not be fazed with it I don't think this should be allowed

Caching is for Nerds Only!

If it is fun you are looking forgo to http://www.mtv.com/

There are four of these bugs. All of them are in Great Britain. Most of the responses and activity on this thread are from the US. Judging from the voting responses, it is only just on the borderline of humor and tastelessness for US audiences. I can't speak for the UK.

While it's definitely a step in the wrong direction as it expands the envelope of allowable crassnes, keep in mind that it could definitely be worse. If that concerns you, plan your cachehunting with that in mind. Eventually someone is going to do something "over the top" somewhere. If your concern is as a parent, get used to it. This is NOTHING compared to the other challenges that may be in store for you down the road.

Young children and old fogies are not the only two groups that cache hunt. The 13-30 crowd also hunts. This is far from a perfect and benign world. There is a fair percentage of this middle age group of people who find such things as this funny and don't often think about the perceptions of anyone other than themselves and their own age group.

If the potential for finding such things worries you that much, you should already be monitoring caches before letting kids dig in them -practical or not- teach them to mind you and let you check it for problems first. If you can't manage that and still don't like the odds, then do not take them hunting. The same young kids being introduced to this now, will, within 5-10 years will be entering into this problematic age group and in all likelyhood will be the ones being out unmonitored and planting this sort of stuff in caches.

If other more conservative people who find bugs like these are simply offended, they are certainly going to react as they see fit. Many good and bad ideas have been offered here. My personal preference and hope is that people will keep any bug alive but modified if you have such skills to more conservative tastes -either by being clothed or amputated and repaired. If it is a non-bug or non-tracked item, simply trash it. No one is going to likely know or care. Do NOT post anything about very offensive items that will get the placer any attention and that will encourage them to do it again.

If you modify a bug for the better and if you're proud of what you did, then note it on the log page. If you're not, then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. The owner may actually appreciate that they almost lost a bug and think better of it next time (I doubt it, but who knows?). There are other imaginative and inventive things that can be done to stay on the theme other than destruction. Dark sunglasses, a lampshade, a tattoo, use your imagination.

icon_eek.gif

SA / PP-ASEL-I

Yep.

To rephrase the data, 43% have a clearly negative opinion (conservative), 36% have a neutral opinion (moderate), and 17% have a clearly positive opinion (liberals). 4% clearly have wimped out (must be the French).

But the real test will be what happens in their travels. So far it doesn't look real good for the boys.

George

quote:

George

It's debatable whether or not the travel bug is appropriate. It's not debatable whether nor not stealing a travel bug is wrong. It is. Period. Same with vandalizing it.

Interesting. I'm a conservative to the core and this bug doesn't bug me one way or the other any more than Idaho clothing optional hot springs tradition.

Nudity in and of itself is nothing. It takes more than being butt nakid and 'exposed' to make something perverse. If anybody really needs this explained then I'm sorry but you are messed up. The entire point and purpose to this TB is a chuckle. Anything more is what YOU read into it.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

[This message was edited by Renegade Knight on May 16, 2003 at 12:02 PM.]

Cachers remove objectionable items from a cache all the time. Why should an objectionable TB be any different?

Like you said "it takes more than being butt nakid and exposed to make something perverse". Well, this is a caricature with emphasis on a sexual organ. It's pretty clear what it was meant to imply. It's not simply a naked monkey...it's a monkey designed to be obscene by flaunting an unaturally large member. If you don't understand this, then *YOU* are messed up.

Some people get their kicks through "shock value" and being "counter culture". One can only hope that they will grow up.

George

quote:

Cachers remove objectionable items from a cache all the time. Why should an objectionable TB be any different?

George

So what makes a penis obscene? Size?

Is it explosive? Flamable? Illegal? Harmful? Food? These are the accepted reasons for removing an item from a cache.

One other reason is adult orientation. Thus I'll grant you your argiment if walmart couldn't sell it even if they if they wanted too because by law it can only be sold to 18/21 year olds and up.

Then and only then would I agree it should be removed. Then and only then would that removal be someting other than theft.

Just because YOU don't like something doesn't make it wrong. A good portion of this thread thinks it's funny, while another good protion seems to get tied up in knots over it. That means it's not obsene to a majority.

I can't help but notice that for all your posts in this thread, you sure do like to have a large phallic symbol in your avitar. Bigger than anything that monkey is packin. Now if you will kindly ignore that long tail in my avitar we can get on to other topics to disagree on.

=====================

quote:

Like you said "it takes more than being butt nakid and exposed to make something perverse". Well, this is a caricature with emphasis on a sexual organ. It's pretty clear what it was meant to imply. It's not simply a naked monkey...it's a monkey designed to be obscene by flaunting an unaturally large member. If you don't understand this, then *YOU* are messed up.

Some people get their kicks through "shock value" and being "counter culture". One can only hope that they will grow up.

George

Not that I disagree, but I find that statement kind of funny coming from a guy whose avatar is him (I assume) standing next to a giant phallus.

icon_wink.gif

quote:

So what makes a penis obscene? Size?

Go back and try reading it again. I distinctly stated it was a caricature with an emphasis on a sexual organ. What other purpose is there for it than to be shocking or obscene?

You just don't get it. It's not that the monkey is naked. Most monkeys are, as are dogs, cats, and cows. It's that the sexual organ is ephasized. LOOK AT ME! I'M HUNG! AIN'T IT FUNNY?!?! IN YOUR FACE! HAHAHA!

How utterly stupid. How offensive. Such a display in public by a person will get you locked up in many areas. It will get you written up for sexual harrasment in the workplace. If you took this toy and gave it to a young child, you would most certainly be locked up.

I'm sorry if you sure can't see that others find this sort of thing offensive. I can't believe you're that thick, but who knows?

As with any offensive item I come across in a cache (and I have seen a few things in my time), it would go in the trash. Just because *YOU* think it is acceptable doesn't mean I will.

As far as my avatar, I quote Freud. "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

George

[This message was edited by nincehelser on May 20, 2003 at 03:15 PM.]

I can't believe this thread still going on. The argument that wouldn't go to bed. Now it has degraded to a pseudo-psychological snipe fest. I keep coming back to read RK's posts. There is someone with their head on their shoulders and a pretty sharp wit. There needs to be a clapping hands emoticon in this space.

quote:

to be obscene by flaunting an unaturally large member.

Don't hate me because I'm gifted and uninhibited. LOL - I crack myself up.

The greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....http://www.texasgeocaching.com

quote:

You just don't get it. It's not that the monkey is naked. Most monkeys are, as are dogs, cats, and cows. It's that the sexual organ is ephasized. LOOK AT ME! I'M HUNG! AIN'T IT FUNNY?!?! IN YOUR FACE! HAHAHA!

How utterly stupid. How offensive. Such a display in public by a person will get you locked up in many areas. It will get you written up for sexual harrasment in the workplace. If you took this toy and gave it to a young child, you would most certainly be locked up.

[This message was edited by nincehelser on May 20, 2003 at 03:15 PM.]

Listen up bucko. For every point I made you have made a counter point. I don't recall calling you thick, or stupid, or implying you lacked brains. You do lack tact when you think someone is rather daft.

Like I said, what makes a penis obsence? As I recall the statue David is butt naked. The worst thing about that statue is it's missing arms. A lot of other art that is considered classec had nudity. Why the heck are all the cherubs flaunting it? They sure ain't hung like the monkey. Japanese cherubs would be though.

The monkey is a joke. Funny. Ha ha now we go home.

I can't believe you even mentioned a cigar in that light so soon after the Clinton era. No cigar is just a cigar anymore.

=====================

Yeah, yeah...you're the one who needs to listen.

Do you not know what a caricature is? Apparently not.

Yes, I lack tact when dealing with fools. So sue me.

Statue of David: In proportion to the body. Not a caricature.

Cherubs: Again in proportion. Not a caricature.

You haven't made very good counterpoints. All you're hung up with is the nudity issue. I'm talking about the gross emphasis on sexual organs.

Why do you insist only on arguing the nudity point?

George

quote:

quote:

I can't believe you even mentioned a cigar in that light so soon after the Clinton era. No cigar is just a cigar anymore.

That has to be one of the funniest things that I have read on any forum thread. GOOD ONE!

Stay tuned folks! Round 15 cummin up!

The greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....http://www.texasgeocaching.com

quote:

Yeah, yeah...you're the one who needs to listen.

Do you not know what a caricature is? Apparently not.

Yes, I lack tact when dealing with fools. So sue me.

Statue of David: In proportion to the body. Not a caricature.

Cherubs: Again in proportion. Not a caricature.

You haven't made very good counterpoints. All you're hung up with is the nudity issue. I'm talking about the gross emphasis on sexual organs.

Why do you insist only on arguing the nudity point?

George

Why do you insist on arguing the characture point?

The biggest reason I'm not using that word is that I can't spell the dadgum thing.

Odds are I could quote you and make your own arguments for you, but I truly doubt you could do the same for what I’m getting at. Still to somewhat trivialize your main thrust “Small Good, Big Bad”. Though I truly doubt that a monkey doll with normally sized equipment would fit your definition of appropriate. Read your own arguments.

You missed your easy out on this entire debate. If they could not sell it to minors in a normal store then it doesn't belong in a cache. The argument about inappropriate becomes a moot point before the law.

As for your fool comment. Nice touch. Your true colors are showing. Your belittling tone and condescending attitude are not skills to be proud of. Putting them on display in the forums was not a good move. If you learn nothing else from this thread take that home and smoke it with your cigar.

=====================