Adopting A Cache

SeekerOfTheWay

I don't understand the reviewer's comment that they won't archive the cache because it's someone else's property. Reviewers archive dead/abandoned caches all the time if the cache is in a truly bad state and the owner is not responding to NM logs. They actually archive the cache listing - The physical cache container (if it's still there) will remain.

Are you sure that's what he/she meant?

It is true that the reviewers will not allow the adoption of any cache without the cache owner's consent because the cache container is the property of the owner. Therefore it's up to the CO to agree to adopt their cache over to another cacher and to send that new owner the cache adoption email form.

MrsB <_<

From the Knowledge Books: Adoption of caches

(Edited to add KB link)

Edited by The Blorenges

Ok. I send the reviewer another plea to archive the cache. I removed the cache. It is dry inside I'll give it that. But the area is different than when it was first hidden. The CO hasn't logged in in a year it looks like. The CO has many other archived caches. Not sure why this one is sticking!

They said if it was missing or damaged it would be archived.

That's probably what the reviewer thought too. I doubt it would be found again. I removed the cache. I'm not going to replace it so I guess I'll just wait.

If a CO isn't maintaining it and they're not active, that is trash in my opinion. And this is a county park that I love. I don't want trash in it.

I'll wait and see what th reviewer says.

Ok. I send the reviewer another plea to archive the cache. I removed the cache. It is dry inside I'll give it that. But the area is different than when it was first hidden. The CO hasn't logged in in a year it looks like. The CO has many other archived caches. Not sure why this one is sticking!

Well, I guess it is missing now <_< I probably would not have removed it. I'm also confused as to why you think it needs to be archived. Until something like the log gets soaked or full, container damaged, a long string of DNF's and the owner not responding to NM logs only then would I consider a NA. As for being rated wrong or wrong size, probably half the caches I logged would rate a NA. Oh, note what type of container that one is, that type of container is probably a good choice for your next cache. ;)

Edited by jholly

It needs to be archived because the CO hasn't logged on in a year.

The T is now a 3 not a 1

The D is a 2 not a 1 because it's half buried in mud.

It's litter imo. I replaced it once when the old container was cracked. I'm not doing that again.

I'd rather replace it with my own cache.

Frequency of CO logging in is not an archive factor.

Incorrect D/T ratings is not an archive factor. You can note that in your log.

Frequency of found logs is not an archive factor. Some caches get very few finds.

The area it was hidden might not be the best, but not an archive factor. Where I live a 10 foot tide is not unusual. I've done a number of caches that you have pick your time to log them. Should the by archived? Nope.

Your mistake was replacing the container. That would have been an excellent time to file a NM and after 30 days of no response from the CO filing a NA because the container is in disrepair and the CO is not responding would probably fly.

Your in a bit of a catch-22 now. Your trying to get a cache archived that from what you said probably should not have gone straight to NA. I really can't think of a reason to post a NM prior to you muggling the cache let alone a NA. I understand you would like to put your own, no doubt better cache, in that location but sometimes you just have to walk away. I really don't have a suggestion. You removed a cache that probably should not have been removed. You can replace it or you can try filing a NM for a "missing" cache. But the "missing" cache route will probably cause your reviewer to ask some probing questions. I know at least one of the Florida reviewers frequent this forum using both the player account and reviewer account.

I would like to place a cache there, yes. But that's not the reason it needs to go. I've gotten other caches archived for the same reason as this one. The CO isn't doing upkeep.

That's a reason to archive to me. Someone who places a cache then leaves it is leaving garbage.

I have no need to be sneaky. I told the reviewer that I removed the cache and that I'll reuse that container for another cache. I won't replace the cache in the same location.

I emailed the CO in July about the cache. That is enough time for them to repair and update it.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

First mistake you made was taking it upon yourself to replace the cache. What you should have done was check the activity of the CO before replacing the cache. Then posted a needs maintenance log followed shortly by a needs archive log explaining your reasons in the log. You can't have the cache transfered to you without the CO's consent. After the cache gets archive if you want to place one do so. Right now what I take from your posting is you are taking it upon yourself to be the cache police and trying to go around the rules that are in place. I personally don't think its your place to remove an active cache even if the CO is not active. If the cache has been archived then by all means remove the remnants of the archived cache. The reviewer might just be watching your actions if you have a pattern of taking upon yourself to be the cache police. They might just want to make sure that it is necessary to archive especially if you told them YOU REMOVED an active cache.

The correct way is to file an NM for the condition and then 30 days or so file an NA because the CO did not respond. Then you have documented the condition. And yes CO's should maintain their caches. But with this one you've done that for the CO. If I were you I would chalk it up to experience and leave it. I personally agree with the reviewer and I think you got a bit exuberant in your actions. There is a reason I recommend doing nothing more than a scrap of paper for a full or wet log. Go eat some tofueky, find caches and hide some nice ones some where else.

Cache police? I maintain caches when I see they need it. Logs, containers, cleaning. That is a good thing, not bad.

The others that were archived 2 were in this park. I picked one up today that was archived. The other has been chopped up because of major clearing.

I am more interested in COs maintaining their caches so that the parks aren't littered, rather than trying to convince a reviewer. They aren't local to here. I invited them to come look at the area.

It states in the guidelines that a CO must maintain their cache. It seems black and white to me.

You don't maintain, you have abandoned your cache, it can get tossed. How can you justify someone placing a cache and then leaving the game?

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.).

In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive the listing.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

From what I gather the cache was in bad shape and as a favor to the owner who was no longer maintaining it you replaced the container. At a later time you noticed that because of changes to the area the cache was no longer hidden the way the cache owner intended. This cache owner has not done anything to check on the hide and verify whether or not it is what he or she wanted, I believe you said half buried which indicates it has been moved or knocked to the ground. If the cache owner will not fix the cache you are completely justified in removing the trash and posting a NA.

I think it is great that you want to help your fellow cachers maintain their caches with replacement logs and such. I would recommend that in the future you look at the cache owner's page first. If you had seen that this owner wasn't active, you would have had less issues if you posted your NA then.

I agree with the reviewer, whose stubbornness at this point is likely motivated by a desire to discourage the type of intervention evidenced here.

If there's a maintenance issue, and you are keen on hiding your own cache in the area, then don't replace the container. Ask the owner, via a "Needs Maintenance" log, to do their job. If they don't, file a "Needs Archived." Simple as that.

This is not an "Adoption" question, but rather "how do I commandeer a spot?"

Thanks, yes. You stated it better than I did. The parks that I frequent I do check on the caches from time to time and make sure they're ok. Dry and logs replaced. I don't mind that at all.

I can't do this for this cache because it's in a bad spot now. I don't have a lot of spare containers around, and it wouldn't help this one.

I'm not the cache police and I live and let live. But I am concerned about the parks and any litter. Any that I hide requires no buckwacking because I don't want anything destroyed. Nor do mine require a hard search.

I'm stuck as what to do know. I have the cache container and it's active. I don't want to put it back because I feel that that is littering.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

I agree with the reviewer, whose stubbornness at this point is likely motivated by a desire to discourage the type of intervention evidenced here.

If there's a maintenance issue, and you are keen on hiding your own cache in the area, then don't replace the container. Ask the owner, via a "Needs Maintenance" log, to do their job. If they don't, file a "Needs Archived." Simple as that.

This is not an "Adoption" question, but rather "how do I commandeer a spot?"

I emailed the CO in July. No reply. I emailed them again today. They haven't logged on in a year.

This CO has almost all their caches archived. That's about 8. With all due respect to the reviewer, who is more qualified to assess the situation? I've seen the cache, seen the area and have fixed it once.

I logged a NA. Should I log a NM that say it isn't being tended to?

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay
I logged a NA. Should I log a NM that say it isn't being tended to?

actually that's the usual sequence of events: when a cache requires maintenance, you log NM. if nothing happens for a longer time and the need for maintenance is severe (such as cache missing), then you log NA.

some cachers maintain their caches without ever logging into the site. logging in is not really part of maintenance. of course chances of that happening are rather slim, but you never know for sure.

Edited by dfx

This makes me think twice about doing any maintenance for others caches. Maybe it promotes CO laziness?

I was under the assumption that COs checked their caches often. Now I don't know if that's true by the replies here.

I'll still check mine often though. If I find that most COs don't maintain their caches I'd be really disappointed with this game.

I was under the assumption that COs checked their caches often. Now I don't know if that's true by the replies here.

I'll still check mine often though. If I find that most COs don't maintain their caches I'd be really disappointed with this game.

actually there's a lot of abandoned caches out there. but as long as the cache is still findable and loggable, there's no need to archive it.

That should go over well with the reviewer: "Needs maintenace because I stole the container". I would suggest putting the cache back where it belongs.

As noted by others, none of your reasons are valid reasons for getting a cache archived.

It's not your box to maintain.

Analogy: The homeowner's guideline says that the grass shouldn't be more that 2 inches tall. Your neighbor is on vacation or ill in the hospital, and the grass is 4 inches tall. Do you go over and mow his lawn? If you are really concerned with the grass length, contact the homeowners' association to let them deal with it. What you've done in this comparative analogy is put herbicide on the entire lawn, and then wrote the homeowners' association to complain about the grass.

Put the bad cache back as is. Send the Needs Maintenance and Needs Archived, then let the owner and the reviewer worry about it.

This makes me think twice about doing any maintenance for others caches. Maybe it promotes CO laziness?

I think it does promote CO laziness. Too many place a cache with the expectation that others will take care of it.

As far as checking often, it's not a bad thing, but not always practical. If I'm in the area I will check on one of my caches, but otherwise I use the logs to determine whether I need to visit the cache.

I put the container back...which was my container since I maintained this cache...this AM.

I'll wait for it to degrade and then I, and others, will log a NM. Then I'll log a NA. Shouldn't take long because the area gets flooded.

Then I'll move the cache using the same trail but further down in a dry spot and list it.

The reviewer is very helpful. I don't think they're thinking I'm being annoying. Hopefully not. I just wanted to state my case. I learned a lot from this actually.

That should go over well with the reviewer: "Needs maintenace because I stole the container". I would suggest putting the cache back where it belongs.

As noted by others, none of your reasons are valid reasons for getting a cache archived.

Lol! I should have posted that!

However my reasons are valid. The CO is not active and not maintaining. There are 4 NMs logs. I, and others, have been replacing the container.

I unstuck it from the mud yesterday and put it up in a log to stay dry. That *was my mistake.

I'm not an evildoer here trying to steal someone's cache or get it archived! I'd rather adopt (and move it down a bit) it but I can't. There is no one to steal it from because it's an orphan.

I just want to make sure the caches are in good shape, not trash and that the park stays clean.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Lol! I should have posted that!

However my reasons are valid. The CO is not active and not maintaining. There are 4 NMs logs. I, and others, have been replacing the container.

I unstuck it from the mud yesterday and put it up in a log to stay dry. That *was my mistake.

I'm not an evildoer here trying to steal someone's cache or get it archived! I'd rather adopt (and move it down a bit) it but I can't. There is no one to steal it from because it's an orphan.

I just want to make sure the caches are in good shape, not trash and that the park stays clean.

Your intentions are certainly good. I'd rather see a cache there owned by a responsible cacher like you, than an abandoned cache. However if a cache is in place, in reasonably good condition, and people are finding it then it's hard to make an argument that it is litter and should be archived.

As long as the community keeps maintaining it, the cache will probably stay there. Let it fall into disrepair then eventually you can get it archived.

Edited by briansnat