[Pre-Sale] Somerset Geocoin

Gamma Ray

Ok guys after a legthy process of design the Somerset Geocoin I am very happy to announce the Somerset Geocoin is up finaly up for presale!

The coin comes in Antique Silver and Antique Bronze.

Links:

2 Coin Set

Silver

Bronze

A lot of work has gone into these coins in the designs and ideas from a variety of cachers in the county of Somerset (UK). I am so happy with the way this coin has come out!

somerset-asil-500-250x250.jpgsomerset-abrz-500-250x250.jpg

Mint Proof:

6ACP-03184-V06mod.jpg

Original concept idea:

Tor-2.gif

Somerset Geocoin

This coin was conceived after being relitivly new to Geocaching and becoming fascinated with Geocoins.

When I realised that there had never been a coin produced for the county of Somerset in the UK, I decided to create one as it is a place i love and have lived and grown up in all my life.

Somerset is a county found in the South West of England, and together with Devon, Cornwall and Dorset make up what is known as the "West Country" Which is mainly rural area famous for its cider and agriculture. Somerset is the home of (the majority of) Exmoor national park and Cheddar gorge (located near the village of Cheddar which gives its name to the famous cheese). It is also a hotbed of Geocaching in the UK.

The coin came about from some original ideas and some that were brought together from a collection of people from or who love the Somerset/West Country area.

Coin explanation:

On the front side of the coin you can see the Somerset Dragon holding a mace, The county symbol of Somerset which also appears on the adopted flag of the county (There is no official flag) The coloured enamels are also in the county colours. Around the edge the coin reads "All the People of Somerset" which is the county motto and on the bottom "Sumorsaete Ealle" which is the same but in its Anglo-Saxon form as it is more commonly seen.

The reverse side features a 3d relief of St. Michaels Tower on Glastonbury Tor, which is possibly the most famous and well known landmark in Somerset and a very popular location for walkers, ramblers, cachers and families to go. The Glastonbury area is well known for the world famous Glastonbury Music festival.

The text reads "Welcome to the West Country" as Somerset is the main gateway to the area of England known as the West Country and is mre often than not the first county that people think of when asked about the West Country. The bottom text reads "Where's it to?" which is a famous Somerset colloquialism for "Where is it?" (for anyone outside of the UK or not familiar with the Somerset/West Country accent it could probably be most likened to what is commonly referred to as "Pirate")

I hope you guys like it!

Super coin! We have always loved Somerset - we spent our honeymoon in Glastonbury!

Will the coins be available from the UK (to avoid the cost of overseas postage?)

only if I or other people buy some to sell or trade, The postage though is actually pretty reasonable. the 2 coin set works out at £14 including postage.

It's a great looking coin, I love the tower on the back. I have never been to England but have a friend who has several times and I am sure she would love this coin (even tho she isn't a cacher)

I don't usually do pre-sale tho, sorry. I will probably get one when it come up for sale, so keep us posted! :laughing:

I think the presale determines how many are made (im not sure)

out of curiosity why dont you ususally do presale?

Super coin! We have always loved Somerset - we spent our honeymoon in Glastonbury!

Will the coins be available from the UK (to avoid the cost of overseas postage?)

only if I or other people buy some to sell or trade, The postage though is actually pretty reasonable. the 2 coin set works out at £14 including postage.

It's a great looking coin, I love the tower on the back. I have never been to England but have a friend who has several times and I am sure she would love this coin (even tho she isn't a cacher)

I don't usually do pre-sale tho, sorry. I will probably get one when it come up for sale, so keep us posted! :laughing:

see thread...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264492

Sharp looking coin, not my cup 'o tea so I'll hold off for now. but I have pre-ordered from company you're going with and have never had a problem (in fact I saw your coin as I was P/Oing Compass Rose).

see thread...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264492

Sharp looking coin, not my cup 'o tea so I'll hold off for now. but I have pre-ordered from company you're going with and have never had a problem (in fact I saw your coin as I was P/Oing Compass Rose).

Thanks for that, its handy to know :laughing: glad you like the looks even though its not for you!

I didnt think there would be too many problems with Coins and Pins as they seem to be a pretty major player!