What is a power trail?

johnsingleton1974

From Geolex

Power Trail – A path with a large number of easy traditional caches placed every 1/10th of a mile. Like a Cache Machine, it's another way for people to easily increase their Find count. As such, it is looked down upon by some.

It should be pointed out that the practice has both its detractors and it's ardent supporters. To answer the "why" of your question will undoubtedly yield as many opinions as there are posts on this thread. I guess the best answer I can come up with can be paraphrased from George Mallory's famous quote: "Because it's there".

A few of these power trail number runs have popped up in my local area in the past week. Something like 1 cache for each state on the same road, and a new numbers run came up today. What are they, and what is the point?

More directly, it is a series of caches, along a road/trail/path, generally spaced at the minimum space from each other. Some people like to try to get them all as quickly as possible, leading to mentions of "world record" times. I put that in quotes because it is a controversial subject and generally leads to long argumentative threads.

I do not know if closely spaced caches on a walking or biking trail really count as power trails, though I refer to the caches along a trail near me as a power trail. It takes a lot of leg power to cover the whole trail.

On the other hand, perhaps it's a good way not to get lost on a trail, LOL ... I was on a trail today that is NOT well marked, except for the occasional blazes (got lost the first time I ventured on a small portion of it, so I went with a large group today). I must say, although power trails for the purpose of filling up map space sounds really annoying, there are definitely some hiking trails that might benefit from them! :rolleyes:

(You can bet I was tagging waymarks every time we stopped to rest or see some sight. But I never did spot the caches that were in the general area ... no time to look, keeping up with a group.)

On the other hand, perhaps it's a good way not to get lost on a trail, LOL ... I was on a trail today that is NOT well marked, except for the occasional blazes (got lost the first time I ventured on a small portion of it, so I went with a large group today). I must say, although power trails for the purpose of filling up map space sounds really annoying, there are definitely some hiking trails that might benefit from them! :rolleyes:

(You can bet I was tagging waymarks every time we stopped to rest or see some sight. But I never did spot the caches that were in the general area ... no time to look, keeping up with a group.)

I wish there was different terminology for a power trail meant or able to be done by a car, and those that can only be done by foot power.

FWIW I think there can be a significant difference between a trail of caches and a power trail as it is traditionally understood.

Power Trails can usually be driven and usually the hides are all super-easy and nearly identical.

I have seen some trails where there is a cache every ~550 ft, but the containers and style of hide varies and it must be accomplished via walking. Yet sometimes these get lumped in with "power trails" even though you can't make a "power run" on them in the sense most people do.

So not all "power trails" are equal, regardless of whether you love 'em or hate 'em.

FWIW I think there can be a significant difference between a trail of caches and a power trail as it is traditionally understood.

Power Trails can usually be driven and usually the hides are all super-easy and nearly identical.

I have seen some trails where there is a cache every ~550 ft, but the containers and style of hide varies and it must be accomplished via walking. Yet sometimes these get lumped in with "power trails" even though you can't make a "power run" on them in the sense most people do.

So not all "power trails" are equal, regardless of whether you love 'em or hate 'em.

FWIW, before the publication of modern numbers run trails like the ET Highway trail and the Route 66 trail, the term "power trail" generally referred to a hiking trail saturated with caches, just as you described (varied caches placed a little more than 528ft/161m apart).

I agree that there is a big difference between the modern numbers run trails and these traditional power trails. That's why I use the term "numbers run trail" for the modern numbers run trails with identical caches placed along a highway to facilitate numbers runs.