Help with conversion

genegene

Can someone please help me convert this page to something that makes sense? I have tried to do everything on mapsource, but nothing is working:

I have no idea what I need to set mapsource up for and I'm hoping to go after this one tomorrow afternoon while I'm going to be in the area.

The Data sheet says its a USGS disk as well, but I cant find it..

----------------------------------------------

EDIT FOR BROKEN LINK = See following post

Edited by genegene

MassHighway Geodetic Data Sheet

Point ID: 4085 Quad Name: BECKET

Station: TT 20 TDA Town: WASHINGTON

Sketch(s) Available: No Last Recovery: -

Published Values

Horizontal

NAD83 (Meters)

Northing: - Easting: -

NAD27 (U.S. Survey Ft.)

Northing: 495260.38 Easting: 162031.90

Data Source NAD83: Data Source NAD27: MAGS-ADJ

Order: 3rd State Plane Coordinate Zone: 2001

Vertical

Elevation: 529.387 Meters Datum: NAVD88 Order: 2nd

Elevation: - Datum: - Order: -

Stamping: TT 20 TDA 1942

Marked By: USGS DISK IN LIMESTONE OUTCROP

Description: 1.7 MI NORTHEAST OF BECKET, 150 FT SOUTHEAST OF "Y" ROAD EAST, 25 FT FROM CENTERLINE OF ROAD, 6 FT HIGHER THAN ROAD.

To Reach: -

Converted Values

Horizontal

NAD27 (U.S Survey Ft.) NAD27 (U.S Survey Ft.)

Northing: Easting:

NAD83/96 (Meters) NAD83/96 (Meters)

Northing: Easting:

Latitude (NAD83/96): Longitude (NAD83/96):

Page1

It appears that the coordinates are Mass Mainland State Plane coordinates, NAD27 US feet. If so, they would translate to 42.347792473 degrees latitude by -73.119747542 degrees longitude (NAD83). This is a point near the intersection of Schulze Road and the Pittsfield Road. Schulze Road would be the "Y ROAD EAST." Elevation of 529 meters looks correct for this location on topo map. However this location is 2.25 miles Northwest of Becket...not 1.7 miles Northeast as description states.

Edited by tosborn

The NGS has an online utility for conversion of State Plane Coordinates to Lat/Long here.

Putting in the coordinates for this point in zone 2001 yields a result of N 42° 20' 51.74004" W 73° 7' 12.71994". Converting that to Decimal degrees yields a slightly different result than that obtained by tosborn, and comes pretty close to your estimated coordinates: N 42° 20.862' W 73° 07.212'.

Tosborn,

Thank you very much the conversion. How in the world do I get that to show up on Mapsource (Mass Mainland State Plane). For the most part everything on the site is in that format, so knowing how to convert them would be a big help.

I'm not sure why they said its 1.7 but from from the town line is actually more like 1.2 miles. Ill check when I'm there today.

Tosborn,

I'm not sure why they said its 1.7 but from from the town line is actually more like 1.2 miles. Ill check when I'm there today.

Try measuring from the Post Office (at the time the mark was set or maybe the original Post Office) in that town. It is unlikely the would measure from the city limits since they change so often. They may have measured from the police station or city hall as well, but since it doesn't specify either of those, I would go with the Post Office.

John

Good News, I found the Benchmark today.

Tosborn coords were dead on (my coords averaged N42 20.867 W073 07.186), but the height above the road is wrong. I would say its only 4 feet above the road.

The only thing missing was the elevation on the disk.

Thanks everyone for your help. Now I need to learn how to use that format so I can find more state BM's

TT20TDA-1.jpg

TT20TDA.jpg