what is "chirp"

zsdeng15014

What is Google?

Google is a search engine that will return a significant number of unrelated web pages if the word "Chirp" is entered. Sometimes in internet forums, "Google" or "Google is your friend" is used as a shorthand response when someone asks a question that has been asked many times before. Occasionally the phrase is accompanied by a link to a relevant web page, such as this link.

"Chirp", as used in the context of geocaching, is, from what I can tell, some sort of transmitter device that can be programmed to send out data (I think its like a GPX file stuff). They can only be "read" by certain Garmin GPSr units.

Some caches use them as part of a multi-cache stage.

I don't have a Garmin, so I really have not followed them, but there are a lot of threads on here about them and I'm sure someone that knows more about them will be along to post soon enough here.

What is Google?

Google is a search engine that will return a significant number of unrelated web pages if the word "Chirp" is entered. Sometimes in internet forums, "Google" or "Google is your friend" is used as a shorthand response when someone asks a question that has been asked many times before. Occasionally the phrase is accompanied by a link to a relevant web page, such as this link.

"Chirp", as used in the context of geocaching, is, from what I can tell, some sort of transmitter device that can be programmed to send out data (I think its like a GPX file stuff). They can only be "read" by certain Garmin GPSr units.

Some caches use them as part of a multi-cache stage.

I don't have a Garmin, so I really have not followed them, but there are a lot of threads on here about them and I'm sure someone that knows more about them will be along to post soon enough here.

Very un-newbishly and helpful post JiVF. <_< Thank you for the link!

What's "chirp"? I read that you use a specific model of gps to find them. Which one?

Please let me know. <_<

In this context, "Chirp" is a small beacon that can transmit location data and a brief message to certain Garmin GPS units. This works for sure with the gpsmap 62st, but there are others models that can be used. A message will pop up on the GPS unit when the Chirp beacon is detected, and it is then possible to navigate to the sent coordinates. The Chirp counts how may times information has been sent, and this count is available to GPS units that have read data from the Chirp. The device is around 20 dollars. Other people have posted links that describe this device in greater detail.

CHIRP

1. An electronic device designed to enlist owners of newer Garmin GPS units to create caches forcing their fellow cachers to spend their hard-earned money on new Garmin GPS units in order to find the specialized caches.

2. Another good reason for the IGNORE button.

Wherigo can go there too.

CHIRP

1. An electronic device designed to enlist owners of newer Garmin GPS units to create caches forcing their fellow cachers to spend their hard-earned money on new Garmin GPS units in order to find the specialized caches.

I'd actually like to try a chirp cache. It would be nice if they worked with a wider range of units.

Neither one blow my skirt up, but I have no need to stick my head in the sand.

To me, ignore lists in the geocaching context are just like a frustrated kid going lalalalalalalalala I CAN'T HEAR YOU! :rolleyes:

head-in-the-sand.gif

CHIRP

One thing I was interested in was ANT technology, to see what was behind the Chirp...

I'd like to see a inexpensive device that would simply display the Chirp data, and be capable of controlling/programing one... sort of a NEW generation GPSR with out the GPSR part...

There is a lot of information on it on the website I found... I don't doubt that either a reader and/or controller device is in the works from Garmin... they have the stuff they need. The technology and display screens, discontinued or even current cases and touch/button pads... just need a board made to fit... then we could all get connected fairly inexpensively... I think one would only have to program to receive the Chirp information.

There is a range of available frequencies, it isn't too difficult to identify which are in use for Chirp... The ANT tech seems to be only about the low power features... the software might just be TCP/IP addressing stuff..

Like we use on the Internet... layers of protocols... just waiting to be used...

one other thing that is on the site... I thought was very telling...

"The company behind ANT is Dynastream Innovations Inc. Dynastream was established in 1998 and became a wholly owned subsidiary of Garmin® Ltd. in December 2006. Dynastream is based in Cochrane, Alberta, Canada, and is a world-leader in the research and development of inertial and wireless technology."

Might explain why other systems don't use Chirp... eh!

Doug 7rxc

I'd actually like to try a chirp cache. It would be nice if they worked with a wider range of units.

To me, ignore lists in the geocaching context are just like a frustrated kid going lalalalalalalalala I CAN'T HEAR YOU! :rolleyes:

Your image reminds me of Flanders and Swann... Peek a Boo! I can't see you.. Everything must be grand!...

Doug 7rxc

One last comment... I think that Chirp has one good possibility...

I read about people who MISS seeing/meeting other cachers at large events...

Imagine everyone carrying a Chirp module, programmed with their description at that point in time.

As you walk around anyone looking for you simply has to watch (monitor) their device. I don't know what options the new devices have, but I think it would not be a bad idea to be able to set a watch list... people you want to meet... or avoid. :rolleyes: Unit would beep when the signal came into close proximity...

Just a thought.

Doug 7rxc

CHIRP

seriously?...who's forcing you to do a CHIRP cache? who's forcing you to do all caches?

there's diving caches out there, also there are caches that require you to be professional climber and the list goes on....nobody is forcing you to do them because you don't have to find every cache out there

besides the CHIRP caches are set up to be found without the use of the CHIRP device.

CHIRP

To me, ignore lists in the geocaching context are just like a frustrated kid going lalalalalalalalala I CAN'T HEAR YOU! :laughing:

head-in-the-sand.gif

I see it as one more tool to help me maximize the enjoyment I get out of the time I spend geocaching.

I see it as one more tool to help me maximize the enjoyment I get out of the time I spend geocaching

I don't know. At this point I have done two of the four or five within reach. They were interesting from a gadget point of view, but unimpressive from a geocaching standpoint. Either could have been done as a traditional, multi, letterbox, or Wherigo. The chirp added nothing except to save me the trouble of entering another set of coordinates by hand.

There could be a lot of potential if the technology improves to allow graphics, sound, a story, interaction - but currently that is something for wherigos. Until then I would define chirp as an oddity designed to improve Garmin's fortunes rather than a geocaching tool to improve the experience. But with that said I will continue to turn on chirp support whenever I am near. And, since I am not a puzzle person, they are some of the more enjoyable mystery caches I have done.