GPS Batteries

I keep a set of Alkaline batteries (either Energizer or Duracell) in my backpack as emergency spares...but I use NiMH rechargeables for my main batteries. In the long run they cost a lot less (thanks to re-charging) and they tend to last a little longer in my 2+ year old Colorado 400t.

If you're going to charge them fully then use them...go with a battery with has a higher mAh rating (something around 2600-2700 mAh should last all day). If you're going to charge them and they'll sit in the GPS for days (or weeks) before you use them...go with the low-discharge Enloop batteries (I think Sanyo makes them).

Also, invest in a good charger...rather than a cheap wal-wart that might come packaged with batteries at some of the major retail stores. Thompson Distributing (http://www.thomasdistributing.com/) is a great source of batteries and chargers.

I keep a set of Alkaline batteries (either Energizer or Duracell) in my backpack as emergency spares...but I use NiMH rechargeables for my main batteries. In the long run they cost a lot less (thanks to re-charging) and they tend to last a little longer in my 2+ year old Colorado 400t.

If you're going to charge them fully then use them...go with a battery with has a higher mAh rating (something around 2600-2700 mAh should last all day). If you're going to charge them and they'll sit in the GPS for days (or weeks) before you use them...go with the low-discharge Enloop batteries (I think Sanyo makes them).

Also, invest in a good charger...rather than a cheap wal-wart that might come packaged with batteries at some of the major retail stores. Thompson Distributing (http://www.thomasdistributing.com/) is a great source of batteries and chargers.

Can't disagree with this. Been using NiMH in my 76CSx for years. Only way to go if you go caching more than a couple times a month.

What batteries you get depends on your usage pattern. Personally I prefer rechargable NiMH because if I were using alkaline, I'd be tossing a set every week (or less). Fegan said everything you need to know about NiMH above. For recommended chargers, most people generally agree that the Maha MH-C9000 and LaCrosse BC-9009 are good chargers. The LaCrosse even comes with batteries that are pretty decent.

There's a thread about NiZn, that has a higher voltage (just tell your GPSr it is a lithium battery). You can read all about it there. They come with a charger that you MUST use with the batteries.

Disposable lithium batteries are expensive and are useful (in my opinion) in a few situations : when minimum weight is an absolute requirement, to carry around as emergency spares (I just carry alkalines around as emergency spares, since my "emergencies" are not life threatening) and in very cold weather, when NiMH performance sucks. BTW the NiZN seems to perform well in cold weather.

I have to agree with Fegan. I just need some new batteries and I ordered from Thomas Distributing. They have the best prices. I have always liked the MaHa AKA powerex batteries for my GPS, camera and police scanner. Also I too carry 4 AA alkines with me as back ups.

I you start using the Nimh do forget to change the setting in the menu.

Have a great day!

Jay

I think my vote will be for the NiZn also. I am having terrible luck with the NiMh batteries, I can barely get one day out of them with my Oregon 450T. I am going to try the NiZn tomorrow. I put a set of freshly charged, new, NiMh batteries in yesterday, and in 30 minutes it had already dropped two battery bars. If you buy regular Alkaline try Costco, their batteries are very highly rated, and you can buy them very cheep. <_<

I have been using NiMH for years, and for some time have preferred the low-self-discharge type such as the Kodak, and Rayovac Hybrids. I have had the Maha smart charger MH-C9000 for a couple of years and like it.

Recently I have been using the NiZN AAs in one camera and two GPSrs, and they work very well. For certain devices that need the higher voltage, they are a better choice for rechargeable.

I put a set of freshly charged, new, NiMh batteries in yesterday, and in 30 minutes it had already dropped two battery bars.
To be fair, you've either got some really tired cells or a charger problem. My battery hungry 450 (because I like the brightness at 100%) gave me most of a decent caching day with a decent pair of NiMH cells.
I put a set of freshly charged, new, NiMh batteries in yesterday, and in 30 minutes it had already dropped two battery bars.
To be fair, you've either got some really tired cells or a charger problem. My battery hungry 450 (because I like the brightness at 100%) gave me most of a decent caching day with a decent pair of NiMH cells.

Also, what battery type did you have your unit set for? The alkaline setting doesn't work well with NiMH.

Go with a good charger, personally I like the Maha line of chargers, and the Sanyo Eneloops, you won't regret it. It might cost you more initially but in the long run you'll save money. A good place to start looking is the Thomas Distributing website.

If you are surfing for a good price then another low discharge NiMh not mentioned so far is uniross hybrio. I think that sometimes they are packaged as Uniross Ultra. In my Dakota 10 a set of 2 last about 6hrs continuous use from fully charged. Pluss as mentioned before this type can be left in the unit without fear of leakage and if not used will remain charged for a long time.

I have found these to be some of the brands of Low-Self-Discharge type NiMH AAs:

Rayovac Hybrid

Kodak Digital Camera, Ultra Low Discharge

Nexcell EnergyOn

Sanyo Eneloop

Sony Cycle Energy

Uniross Hybrio

Ultralast Hybrio

Lenmar R2G

Maha Imedion

Accupower Acculoop

Ansman Max-E

GP ReCyko

Duracell Pre-charged

Pro Power Hybrid

Delkin Power (Low Discharge)

Of these, I own some of the first three listed, about 8 of each that I cycle in some GPSrs and other things.

My ongoing search for longer NiMH battery life has resulted in an order of a pack of Ansmann 2850s from Thompson Distributing. I'm not expecting to get 2850 mAh out of them, but even 2600 would be an improvement. The Enloops are excellent batteries but I don't need low self discharge in my GPS and fear my PN-60 would run thru 2000 mAh pretty quickly.

You might be right about the NiMh batteries. One or more of them (new) could be a dud but I checked the Volts on all of them and they are the same. I get much longer battery life from regular alkalines I bought from Costco, the Costco brand. I have good chargers (expensive) from Radio Shack, they have always worked well before. I just got 8 new NiZn and a NiZn charger that I plan on trying this week, but for now I'm sticking with the alkaline.

If for no other reason, you wouldn't want to drop a NiZn into a charger that dropped back to a trickle charge mode after charging. That's lethal to these cells. Once the charge current drops back to between 75~90mA, the charge has to be stopped. No trickle. Stopped.

The cells are charged initially with constant current of between C/2 and 1C until the cells are at 1.9V, then the mechanism switches to constant 1.9V voltage until the appropriate (75~90mA) current is reached.

Edited by ecanderson

Oh ok. Whoops. I just noticed that's the same poster that told me to just get regular batteries. Hmmm. Sabotaging me! Haha

Because you seemed like a vacuous simpleton asking about "what kind of batteries" and how you hadn't "bought any in years". Disposable alkalines was the BEST recommendation for someone in your perceived situation until they learn a little more. You provided NO amplifying information in your first post. :laughing:

You also noticed (or, maybe not) that I further recommended Sanyo Eneloops, which is a VERY respected rechargeable battery here. Others recommended it, too.

And, my La Crosse BC-9000 charges the NiZn batteries just fine. :laughing:

Edited by sviking

Oh ok. Whoops. I just noticed that's the same poster that told me to just get regular batteries. Hmmm. Sabotaging me! Haha

Because you seemed like a vacuous simpleton asking about "what kind of batteries" and how you hadn't "bought any in years". Disposable alkalines was the BEST recommendation for someone in your perceived situation until they learn a little more. You provided NO amplifying information in your first post. :D

You also noticed (or, maybe not) that I further recommended Sanyo Eneloops, which is a VERY respected rechargeable battery here. Others recommended it, too.

And, my La Crosse BC-9000 charges the NiZn batteries just fine. :D

Inquiring about battery type makes me look like a simpleton? I noticed the setting in my GPS. Not sure how a question makes someone look "dumb."

It's a shame you made that assumption about me. Especially when you could have done some research using my previous posts and found logs, if you wanted to make the effort. I guess it's just easier to give a snarky reply.

This will be my last post to you before you're added to the ignore list. No need to reply to my posts.

I was *simply* trying to get more information on battery types. This forum is a wealth of information (usually).

Besides your posts, I'm thrilled with the information provided in this thread! I learned a lot.

And no, I hadn't bought batteries in years.

But I ordered a recommended charger that does come with four batteries.

I'm thankful for all the helpful replies!

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

What's your player name? You can't possibly have no finds.

I'd like to look at your real profile.

Wouldn't you like to know? How can I reply if I'm on your IGNORE list, as you previously stated? And, according to you, I must have lots of finds. Nice "double negative", simpleton...

Again...

:D:D:laughing::laughing:

Edited by sviking